1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Botolph

Botolph Distinguished Member

@houselight Embrace the trad! ...or, at least take some cues from Ivy. Skinhead comes from looks that emulated the Ivy League style, so it’s natural to glean a little inspiration from the mid-century American look.

2. houselight

houselight Member

certainly! I wear shetlands and crewnecks far more often than I imagine some of our friends across the pond do. In my mind ivy is great, trad is racist dads that think William F Buckley is the pinnacle of human intelligence.

Any 'trad' or 'ivy' brands you especially look out for?

edit: At the end of the day it all comes down to fit; I find because I'm fairly broad shouldered certain things just don't quite work as well for me in trad-land because they're too billowy. It's always a crapshoot, of course. I have Brooks Brothers and LL Bean jumpers that fit perfectly, I've bought others on ebay that are the exact same size and fit like trash bags.

3. Botolph

I disagree on the identity politics and WFB, but this is not the forum to discuss such matters.

Yeah man, I dig lots of Ivy stuff:

O’Connell’s, J.Press, Hertling, Southwick, Cable Car Clothiers, some Ben Silver, Brooks, Gant, and custom shirts by Ratio and Michael Spencer. These last two are really great, and a better value than buying a more expensive off-the-rack shirt.

*edited for spelling

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

I get you 100% @houselight. I guess it all comes down to carving out a niche for yourself.

'Trad', however, can be adapted, used to challenge in a different way. It used to be the thing, for example, in some African-American areas in the mid-60s, to adopt and adapt some very trad, quasi-Ivy styles, and to look cool and defiant into the bargain. Anyhow, getting away from the point a little, but it shows one can use trad design fearlessly.

Dapper Rebels.jpg

5. The Saint

The Saint Senior Member

I'm not MoM. .

6. Man-of-Mystery

"The original's still the greatest." Dobie Gray, The In Crowd. ;)

7. The Saint

The Saint Senior Member

"Can you see the real me. ." The Who, the Real Me ..

8. Man-of-Mystery

:cheers:

9. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

When people on here hit a certain age, most of them just do the Ivy/trad thing and drop everything you might call streetwear, for lack of a better term. Maybe that's appropriate for their age, but I think it also has to do with their professional lives and social environments.

As a consequence, the streetwear component of skinhead does not evolve, it just falls by the wayside. IMO streetwear is essential for that youthful period between teenagehood and being a ‘mature gent’. So maybe that’s where you want to think up some suitable variations.

Workwear, sportswear and military gear lend themselves for this purpose (e.g. we were recently discussing Dickies ‘Eisenhower’ and WW2 tanker jackets). I guess the key is to tread carefully and mix & match with smarter gear to avoid looking like a slob.

PS - I'm aware 'streetwear' refers to a specific style, but I'm using the term loosely for lack of a better one

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

10. Botolph

In my profession I could wear boots, braces, and a sheepskin every day if I wanted. However, I see guys my age(early to mid-40s) trying to look tbe part and end up just looking sad. Some pull it off very well, mind you; most just look like clowns.
    I tend to wear things on the “suedehead” end of the spectrum, mixed with Ivy, Trad, English country gent, etc. it just suits the old skinhead who is now more of an urban dad when not working.
    I wear basically what I’ve been wearing for the last 29(!!!) years, but it’s more grown-up looking.
    Trouser/jeans hems are still shorter(but not skinny-legged), brogues are worn almost daily, covert coat, Balmacaan, mac are preferred over bomber jacket these days. Buttondown shirts, v-neck slipovers or crew neck Shetlands, tweed jackets, etc.
    I think maybe @covskin mentioned before about not wearing every piece of “the gear” together, but using one or two items as needed and as you’d find comfortable.

@houselight I’m not sure this subject is Mod to Suedehead appropriate, it seems to be going off course a bit. Search for the “The Look Goes On” thread. Good stuff by mostly the same contributors as here.

11. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

You're doing it really well, and tbh you're one of the posters I pay the closest attention to. I can't afford half of the gear you mention, but your knowledge of neo-Ivy & 'post-skinhead' styles is always inspiring. Also, from what I remember you do mix & match with the odd military or workwear bit. So does M-o-M, who'll throw in a pair of jungle greens, for example.

I'm not saying middle-aged men should look like full-on cliche skinheads with boots & braces. I just think the hard/smart balance is what made skinhead appealing, and I like when there's a bit of street edge in addition to all the smartness - even if it's more subtle because you've moved on.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

12. The Saint

The Saint Senior Member

Sounds familiar, a bit like my style which is my own style based on late Mod or very early skin but with my take on it and with what is available that is decent quality, often picked up at TKMAXX , but if you have a look there are really good items to be had at various supplier's and not just the obvious Mod ones. .
    I still get complements from people l know and even the occasional stranger.
    Overcoats like you mention are seen a lot less now on the street so people do look when l wear them but l honestly could not give a flyin fuck what they think . Back to confidence and knowing that what you are wearing is smarter and sharper than what 90% of the public are wearing. Sometimes my gast is flabbered when l see what people have worn to go to the supermarket. .

13. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Only 90%?
    You’re doing it wrong man!:-D

14. The Saint

The Saint Senior Member

Awright Rodders , 99.9%;)

15. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior Member

walton n hersham quite pikey as a area