1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

Status Quo made quite an impression up there...

2. The Saint

The Saint Senior Member

I concur, great look MoM.
    I also think keeping slim in well cut slim fit clothes helps to avoid the old man look .
    Of course, what your average old man wears now is nothing like Mod clothes any more , he even rarely wears the brimmed hat that Rod mentioned. .

3. DonkeyJacket1

DonkeyJacket1 Senior Member

Seen old blokes wearing skinny jeans and other clothes what are really for younger people, not a good look imo(then again stuff like that doesn't look good on younger blokes either)

The clothes have always been more traditional imo, even more so now.

4. The Saint

The Saint Senior Member

A lot of older people go for those ubiquitous fabric/nylon trainers or equally hideous shoes with Velcro closure in beige or grey. .
    I have never , ever owned grey shoes or beige for that matter. .

5. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

“Cock your hat - angles are attitude!” (Sinatra, F.A.)

6. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

In ‘Dressing The Man’ Flusser goes on at length about matching colours to your complexion - there may be something to it but I mostly don’t buy it.

There’s a journalist over here named Tom Junod who wrote a long piece I think in GQ back in the nineties about how his dad dressed. It’s well worth a read if anyone can find a link.

Edit - here it is ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/fashion-generation-tips-national-magazine-award/amp

He said his dad was obsessive about tanning (and moisturising) his face and would even lay outside in the winter to ‘top up’ his tan. One of his rules was ‘always wear white to face’ - tanned blokes do look good in plain white shirts (see Cary Grant as an example) and through most of the nineties I wore only white shirts for work. It was a big step for me to get a blue shirt but once I broke that barrier I very rarely wear a white shirt now. For Nordic blondies like me it just looks too washed out. That’s about as far as taking my complexion into consideration as I go!

7. Botolph

Botolph Distinguished Member

Yeah Flusser’s book stretches things a bit.

As far as Nordic blondes go, being one, I’m also very ruddy-skinned so I look or am tanned/have face color all year. However, I much more often wear blue or patterned shirts rather than white. I think ecru buttondowns are cool and have a couple. Less-severe than white.

8. DonkeyJacket1

I find white is a pain to keep looking clean and not manky, i prefer pale yellows etc these days

9. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

He's from Surrey isn't he?

10. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

Yeah, he's from Hersham, Surrey. They had a betting shop there in the 70s - maybe they still do.

1978 july jimmy outside betting shop in hersham.jpg

11. DonkeyJacket1

Guess everywhere down south is london when yer a northern monkey lol

12. DonkeyJacket1

13. houselight

houselight Member

Sorry, perhaps I was unclear. MoM, you do indeed look fantastic for 68; it seems unlikely anyone would think you were under 45, however. Age appropriate cuts both ways; people don't think I dress too immature, they seem to read the way I dress as too mature. So it's more that I'm 31 and get mistaken for 40. I agree with the general sentiment, and I avoid the trappings of super slim clothing, but I'm looking for more of a happy medium here between middle aged and teenager. I would also add I'm American, so certain things that code more subcultural in GB are more in line with the accursed 'trad' here.

14. pressuredrop

pressuredrop Senior Member

The secret is to dress youthful, without looking juvenile.

(And further, for us in North America, not like a bonehead.)

15. houselight

houselight Member

show, don't tell! I really think it's partially because my penchant for a nice three finger roll seems much older than the tiny little things that don't even stand up on some more modern oxfords.

I think @Botolph has had a few fits that I think do this quite well.