1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Inkss

Inkss Senior Member

Old clip of the London Tube from 68/69 (when the Victoria Line opened)

2. andyf

andyf Senior Member

Those double pocket denim shirts look absolutely awful. And the mini-skin on the left is it a baby jimmy pursey?

3. DonkeyJacket1

DonkeyJacket1 Senior Member

Maybe too young to be Jimmy Pursey.

Cant say i'm a fan of the denim shirts myself, but i have seen other pics of northern skins wearing them.

4. andyf

andyf Senior Member

Yes horrid.
    Pursey was born in 55 would make him around 14-15 in that photo so I guess not

5. cocostella

cocostella Distinguished Member

6. DonkeyJacket1

DonkeyJacket1 Senior Member

Also forgetting the fact that that jimmy pursey is from larndan

7. houselight

houselight Member

Long time lurker, question for all the 'younger' lads on here:

Part of the reason 'the look' tends to transition well is that it is on some level, as discussed in this here thread, 'old man clothes' worn by children (at least for the originals). And all you older gents look sharp, no doubt.

How does one work the look when not quite a youth nor over 40? I'm in my early thirties and my standard uniform is a brooks slim ocbd under a denim trucker, jumper, or a bomber, some jeans with turn ups or sta-prest, and either dr martens three eyes, wing tips, or boots. I've been noticing as my hair gets thinner (I keep it short and neat as I'm already close to bald but not revival short) and I get older I seem to give off way more of an uncle or professorial vibe. Those in the know always give me the nod, but I find those interactions increasingly rare as my life circumstances change.

Any suggestions here for brands or details that don't look like a costume but also don't make you look middle-aged prematurely?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

8. andyf

andyf Senior Member

Yeah that there fackin laaandan! I realised that about pursey halfway through typing it! ;)

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

I'll give you one short answer. It's not (so much) what you wear, it's the way that you wear it. It has to do with how you carry yourself, for example. If you slouch along with both hands in your pockets, you will look like a thirty-something trying to be a teenager. If you carry yourself with confidence, you will look like an adult with an eye for a certain style.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but just consider that in the photo below, I'm 68, but wearing an outfit, from shades to shoes, that I would have been proud to wear when I was 18, but no way do I look as though I'm trying to be 18. [NB. I can't help not being handsome in the face!]

2018-04-15 02 suit loafers.png

10. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

Looking boss, @Man-of-Mystery. But dare I say, it's also a question of type. I'm very far from 68, but instinctively I know these aren't colours I could get away with. I'd probably opt for a darker navy for the suit, and the same goes for the gingham. The Bela version of the hanky would be a darker burgundy. The socks are fine, but the loafers would have to be a darker brown too.

If I don't keep things fairly subdued in the colours dept, clothes easily look 'too much' on me. I don't really have a scientific explanation for why that is...

The colours look perfect on you, though.

11. Man-of-Mystery

12. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

Oh yeah sure, I think I was making a separate point. I often see men decades older than myself wearing colours that are brighter/louder than anything I would wear. They don't look wrong on them, I just don't feel I'd get away with wearing them myself. Sometimes I wonder if it's a confidence thing, but I really think it's a question of type.

13. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Nope it’s confidence.

Environment is a separate factor. I e got loads of brightly coloured tackle that works for me in Florida but I wouldn’t dream of wearing in the cold damp north east of England. But that wouldn’t stop me from wearing a suit like MoM’s back home. He’s in Scotland and their weather isn’t stopping him from stepping out. I don’t believe there’s a ‘type’ (whether we’re twlking height / weight / hair colour / complexion / etc) that can ‘get away’ with bolder gear, it’s down to confidence.

A similar view can be extended to hats. People say if you’re gonna wear a brimmed hat you’ve got to ‘own it’ - it’s a bit of a step for some people but if you shuffle about avoiding eye contact and worrying if some urchin might throw a remark your way you’re never gonna look comfortable. If you like the way you look when you check the mirror before leaving the gaff then step into the day with confidence. If you don’t feel comfortable make a change.

14. Man-of-Mystery

"A hat's not a hat till it's tilted." Dean Martin, in Robin and the Seven Hoods.

15. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

Hm, we'll have to disagree. I believe there are colours that suit you and colours that don't. I know my own colour palette fairly well, and it mostly has to do with - precisely - complexion and type.

I don't have a problem wearing plenty of white, for example. I don't mind looking stark or severe either, and I like using strong contrasts. These are things that I know will draw attention to me, but they won't clash with my type.

One thing I know doesn't work for me, though, is bright colours (bright green, bright red, bright blue, bright yellow, and whathaveyou).