• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes was filled in and now the tram runs over the top. I remember an our price records on the moor and there was an hmv at top.yorkshire grey has been demolished. Leadmill is only thing that's original from the things you list. Been to see many a gigs too there. Many pubs been and gone like most cities but fortunately Sheffield has become a bit of gem in the UK now for pubs. Probably best in uk

Saw Red Alert at the Leadmill many years ago, with the rare sighting of a sober Cast Iron on vocals. Great gig!

andyf

Reaction score
I've just been watching Billy Connolly - Made in Scotland on BBC iPlayer. There was a very brief clip, of which the images below are fuzzy screen-caps, which seemed to be of a Glasgow youth club in the mid-60s, judging by the girls' mod fashions. I can remember 'Glasgow Fortnight' in Blackpool, when the town was full of Weegies. The Twisted Wheel was full of Glasgow mods - hard as nails but great kids. Blackpool was like that, it attracted people from towns all over the northern half of Britain. I met kids from Newcastle, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds... it seemed to be one way that mod fashion travelled in the land north of Watford.

Funny thing about the brief footage on the Billy Connolly prog - it was part of a sequence played under a Hank Williams record!

View attachment 1097883

View attachment 1097884

View attachment 1097885

View attachment 1097886
Yeah I watched this. And thought at the time the kids didn’t match the music in the clip at all.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just been watching Billy Connolly - Made in Scotland on BBC iPlayer. There was a very brief clip, of which the images below are fuzzy screen-caps, which seemed to be of a Glasgow youth club in the mid-60s, judging by the girls' mod fashions. I can remember 'Glasgow Fortnight' in Blackpool, when the town was full of Weegies. The Twisted Wheel was full of Glasgow mods - hard as nails but great kids. Blackpool was like that, it attracted people from towns all over the northern half of Britain. I met kids from Newcastle, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds... it seemed to be one way that mod fashion travelled in the land north of Watford.

Funny thing about the brief footage on the Billy Connolly prog - it was part of a sequence played under a Hank Williams record!

View attachment 1097883

View attachment 1097884

View attachment 1097885

View attachment 1097886
Good post MoM and great pics too, only thing I would say is that the term weegies is a bit derogatory like calling an Irish man Paddy. .

Inkss

Reaction score
I've always wondered whether Nick Lowe was six years behind the times, or six years ahead of the curve in this 1973 clip :

Still want his shirt though.

Inkss

Reaction score
A Glaswegian fella in a bar once called me a 'Cockney c*nt'.
I was very offended. I'm from West London. How dare he call me a Cockney.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Saw Red Alert at the Leadmill many years ago, with the rare sighting of a sober Cast Iron on vocals. Great gig!

Saw them a few times, the first time is up there with the most powerful gigs I ever attended. The other times were pretty abysmal due to the problem you mentioned.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Glaswegian fella in a bar once called me a 'Cockney c*nt'.
I was very offended. I'm from West London. How dare he call me a Cockney.
Indeed , cheeky baisturt. .a posh cunt fae Embra once said l had a Glesca accent , and l don't even come from there and indeed have never lived there. .

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed , cheeky baisturt. .a posh cunt fae Embra once said l had a Glesca accent , and l don't even come from there and indeed have never lived there. .

Worse yet: Was in Colchester at a bar some years ago, and some fellow swore up and down that I and my companions were from Belfast or at least Ulster... and said knew it because he’d clocked our accents. I’m from Central Massachusetts, as are my buddies who were with me. Baffling.

vendetta69

Reaction score
Worse yet: Was in Colchester at a bar some years ago, and some fellow swore up and down that I and my companions were from Belfast or at least Ulster... and said knew it because he’d clocked our accents. I’m from Central Massachusetts, as are my buddies who were with me. Baffling.
In all fairness there's some fairly unique sounding accents around that area that might be said to have a bit of Irish in it. I was at a gig years ago and got talking to these lads and for a minute over the general noise sounded like they had a bit of an irish accent.When i asked where they were from one said "Bwostin!". Also Colchester pubs are full of pissed up squaddies who are often baffled and baffling at the same time.

Inkss

Reaction score
The last thing you want to hear in a garrison town pub is a group of people with Ulster accents.

vendetta69

Reaction score
The last thing you want to hear in a garrison town pub is a group of people with Ulster accents.
True, probably means you've had the misfortune to bump into members of the royal irish regiment...

a-great-bunch-of-lads.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads