• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve only got to look at 60s photos of mods on scooters and 90% are wearing parkas. The rest macs, anoraks or cagoules. The books I own shows when on two wheels the parka or some other coat was definitely worn. They didn’t want to mess up the clothes underneath.
Indeed , a lot of those 6ts Mods did wear parkas , easily 90% you need to remember that most of those photos date back to 1964. In the 8ts it was 110% and all year around usage too. .:-D

andyf

Reaction score
Indeed , a lot of those 6ts Mods did wear parkas , easily 90% you need to remember that most of those photos date back to 1964. In the 8ts it was 110% and all year around usage too. .:-D
Yes I remember the 79- 80s revival very well. And had said parka to cover my altered suit I found in a charity shop. Amongst, the jam stripe and jam winklepicker shoes I wore. Oh dear.
And also remember barging through a couple of bikers and a skinhead (parka swaying like a good un) so I didn’t get knocked over by walking past them on road. I gotta couple of kicks for that stunt lol

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
c343a82dd278c670101bf601c977bca5.jpg

pressuredrop

Reaction score
Even though that’s a picture of Lee majors lol

I know my bionic men & terribly dressed Bonds, Andy.

My fear is we're heading for some dangerous waters with discussion of the m-65/safari jacket lineage.

Inkss

Reaction score
Found some very old pics of myself.
1979: Me as a baby Skin aged 10
ynx1.jpg

1982 : Mod revivalist phase aged 13
ynx2.jpg

1984 : Not sure what's going on here. Maybe my 'Steve McQueen in the film The Hunter' phase
ynx3.jpg

1989 : My hair has decided it's time to **** off.
ynx4.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You lost your Barnet at 30 @Inkss ? Tough luck matey!

Great pics there.

A few lads in our late 70s revival set graduated to getting scooters in the eighties and as they leaned away from sartorial style in favour of getting their hands dirty, a few got Belstaff jackets which arent far off M-65 style.

The other M-65 to Mod crossover may be from those who were emulating Lennon in his New York period but it’s a bit tenuous innit?

Then as pictured above with the Britpop era I think Liam Gallagher, again possibly influenced by Lennon, seemed to wear M-65 type jackets.

Not sure if this link will still work but I did a post some time ago mentioning field jackets:

https://rodsmodblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/10/field-jacket-mod-style/

I quite like the look of those tanker jackets - a slightly more dressed and less bulky MA-1 style. Film fans will remember Clint Eastwood wore won in ‘Kelly’s Heroes’.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you remember the first time you saw M65s specifically M-o-M? And do you agree they had a ‘hippie vibe’ before Taxi Driver gave them a more aggressive image?

This isn't as easy as it sounds, for several reasons. Firstly I don't think anyone went into a shop and said "Can I have an M65?" or "Can I have an M51?" or anything like that. There was just the generic term 'combat jacket'. Secondly, it is very unlikely that your average 'surplus shop' would tag them in the window with anything other than 'combat jacket'. They could have been M65s, M51s, or a dozen other kinds for all we knew. As with just about anything else, it all depended on what came into the surplus shops at the time (just like I said about the short-lived vogue for MA1 jackets in SE London in the late winter 1969, early spring 70, before we all started to get arty).

No, I didn't see them as particularly 'hippie vibe' stuff. Rather, I saw them around the Blackpool area worn by guys who were maybe a bit rocker-ish, maybe a bit last-year's-mod-ish, blokes who, when we were wearing short hair, striped ties, and sharp suits, they were looking a bit like Them/Van Morrison in the era of the photo below.

Them.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads