• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something tonic perhaps, I don't remember any brown stapress. The image above has a red tinge compared to my original LP cover, the boots could easily be black.

LeviStubbsTears

Reaction score
Cummins was really embracing the Indiana Jones villain vibe back then.

This is off topic, but might be appreciated here. I recently bought a throwback 1966 WHU Bobby Moore shirt. The week it arrived I was about to throw it on to head to my local US second div. teams matches, but decided on the home colors instead. Then as I was at the ticket window the older fellow at the window next to me asked for his VIP tickets next to me and I realized it was Jim Standen. He was nice and obliging when I bugged him but it would have been even better if I'd ran into him while I was in the kit his side played in.

andyf

Reaction score
Something tonic perhaps, I don't remember any brown stapress. The image above has a red tinge compared to my original LP cover, the boots could easily be black.
I remember having a two tone suit jacket in the same colour as his strides at some point. They looked purpleish,so a light blue orange mix as I recall.

Inkss

Reaction score
I reckon they're these :
ginand.jpg

tonne ickle.jpg

Like Andy F, I had a similar pair of purple (claret and blue mix) Tonic strides myself in 1980, and they looked very similar.
The good/bad thing with Tonic/Tonik is that the colour looks different depending on the angle it's being viewed at, the light, and creases in the fabric.
So, they might just be plain dark grey Sta-Prest at the end of the day.

Inkss

Reaction score
One of the album-cover challenge suggestions was Bryan Ferry's Another Time, Another Place :
ferry.jpg

I don't think I could pull off a near-facsimile of that :
terrible.jpg

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's hoping Inksy does Telly!

An excuse to post this, the strangely incongruous cinema short 'Telly Savalas Looks at Birmingham'

He walked amongst us...

(1981, so a good reference for distinguishing the late 70s/early 80s in photos, if you weren't there)

Last edited:

Inkss

Reaction score
Talking of London '68, I've noticed on this oft posted clip from 1967 that the guy in the parka passes the camera quite a few times.
He makes out he doesn't see the camera. He definitely bloody did though.
From 1:53

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking of London '68, I've noticed on this oft posted clip from 1967 that the guy in the parka passes the camera quite a few times.
He makes out he doesn't see the camera. He definitely bloody did though.
From 1:53

I know this is 'up West', but I'm looking at it and thinking "How drab this isn't, compared to my local High Street today!"

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Speaking of drabness... Do you know the Jam song 'Carnaby Street' (1977) where Weller bemoans how it "ain't what it used to be" and has become a "mockery"? From today's point of view it's hard to fathom what he meant as Carnaby Street still seemed in rude health at the time:
1978 carnaby street.jpg

Now it's just a bland high street with fashion chain stores.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I first saw Carnaby Street on a rainy morning around 1980 on a day trip to London from oop north. It was crap. There were the huge signs ‘Carnaby Street Welcomes The World’ suspended at either end and a greasy spoon - Chubbies or something - down at the bottom end. There were a couple of identikit Mod shops and Shelleys Shoes that sold Jam shoes.

I was back a couple more times in subsequent years. Drab.

I was there in December 2008 and it was quite decent then. The quality of the identikit shops was much better - Merc, Lambretta, Sherry’s round the corner and a couple of other places with some half decent clobber among the schmutter.

I’ve since heard that Lambretta is rubbish and Merc has gone. Sherry’s has gone downhill since Darren left. What else is there? I wouldn’t mind a stroll down whenever I make it back home for reference, but I’d rather visit Adam of London and a couple of other spots if I was pushed for time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads