• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

andyf

Reaction score
Aye Levi’s tapped into a current of fifties/sixties Americana revival around the late eighties. Not cheesy Teddy Boys and Grease but rather the James Dean sensitive loner type. The adverts with the retro soundtrack and Nick Kamen (JD lookalike) washing his strides in the laundromat. Along with Ray Ban Wayfarers it must have sent their revenues skyrocketing for a while there.
Lol cheesy teddy boys

andyf

Reaction score
Solovair were forced to stop using the yellow stitches at 2016. Since then they are using white ones.
http://www.aircushionboot.com/blog/the-demise-of-the-yellow-stitch/

There you have old one with yellow stitching
Solovair_8_eye_boot.jpg
Ah I see. As I say never owned any but they sort of were the blueprint of the Doc weren’t they

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Did you just produce fashion boots with the getta grip/commando sole or work boots too? I quite like 5-6 eye work boots with commando soles, looks pretty good.

andyf

Reaction score
Did you just produce fashion boots with the getta grip/commando sole or work boots too? I quite like 5-6 eye work boots with commando soles, looks pretty good.
Well technically they were tough as DMs. So no reason at all why not.
But gripfast is your best bet now unless you can find a vintage pair second hand.

andyf

Reaction score
Well technically they were tough as DMs. So no reason at all why not.
But gripfast is your best bet now unless you can find a vintage pair second hand.
Also grinders do an 8 hole equivalent. NPS very similar too.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I've seen 6 eye gripfast, don't go any higher than 6 eye these days. But they only seem to sell them in the us.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Even 8 eye seems high to me now considering I've been wearing 6 eyes for the last 3 years about

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Cheers for the great info on 70s-80s Levi's in the UK everyone. Just to clarify:

@johnnyskin, were the Levi's STF with zip you remember wearing in the late 70s orange tab or red tab?

Does anyone from the UK remember any button-fly Levi's before the 80s?

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Well technically they were tough as DMs

When I was 16 or 17, I saw a bad accident happen involving what I think was a pair of Getagrip - the 'Rangers' type boot. A mate got really upset about something and kicked the nearest wall in frustration. Unbeknownst to him, the steel toe cap had come through the leather on the inside of his oversized old boot. So as he kicked the wall really hard, the steel cap went right between his toe and toe nail. It pretty much tore his nail off. Ouch...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the great info on 70s-80s Levi's in the UK everyone.
Does anyone from the UK remember any button-fly Levi's before the 80s?
Nope.
And let’s be honest, button flies are a bit of a clart on, especially if you’ve had a few.
There really isn’t any advantage to them unless you go commando, aside from the ‘autheticity’ of having strides based on a vintage style, but only you will ever know (along with possibly your missus and any denim nerds checking you out).

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
They are shite, I find the button holes get worn quicker too rather than a zip. Like many things sometimes an older design does not mean better.

andyf

Reaction score
When I was 16 or 17, I saw a bad accident happen involving what I think was a pair of Getagrip - the 'Rangers' type boot. A mate got really upset about something and kicked the nearest wall in frustration. Unbeknownst to him, the steel toe cap had come through the leather on the inside of his oversized old boot. So as he kicked the wall really hard, the steel cap went right between his toe and toe nail. It pretty much tore his nail off. Ouch...
Ooh nasty

Bela Kun

Reaction score
In general I find button flies to be more reliable. But to be honest, I'm not too bothered either way. Just trying to establish some rough Levi's UK timeline, which we seem to know fairly little about... the young mods' forgotten story.

To return to the 70s, I read that early revivalists like @TomMc666 raided shops for deadstock Ben Shermans and Sta Prest from the original era. Did they also make a point of tracking down red tab Levi's from the 60s? Or was it just that you couldn't get any new red tab Levi's in 1977?

When 2 Tone and the mod revival exploded a couple of years later, what Levi's did those kids usually wear - new orange tab like @covskin's or 'vintage' red tab?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads