• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I agree. On the plus side, though, Dr Marten's do half sizes today. I don't think they did in the past?

Air Cushion Boots were doing Solovair half sizes, but they're practically defunct now.
Sadly not in 11 half tho, which is my size. They told me in the local Dr martens shop that modern ones run large tho.

I was tempted to get these, but still at 130 quid a bit much. I do like the 6 eye 101 out of there range the most thou, I would just get red of the yellow stitching with polish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dr-Marte...hash=item3b0413c30b:m:mnOfaa7ODTuaQL-w4mknr6g

andyf

Reaction score

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Pretty sure they didn’t. I used to work at one of the factories. So I’m fairly confident on this.

Yeah, I never come across half-size vintage DMs, so I often end up with boots that are either too small or too big. No such problem with vintage Astros, which run a bit large.
No welt stitching at all on this boot

The regular 101 that DK linked do have external stitching, but the 101 'Brando' have internal stitching - see image in my earlier post. The Brando are nicer leather too (and the lettering on the pull tag isn't yellow, hooray!).

http://downesshoes.com.au/product/101-brando-black-6-eye-boot/

Last edited:

pressuredrop

Reaction score
What have used to get that colour? And we’re they a similar red to cherry red of modern dms?

Not 100% sure.

I'd first found them in with my dad's hunting gear in the late 80s (...my gran had originally sent them over in the late 60s as hunting boots, but they are no good off-road, so he never wore them much...). I put a dark brown or black polish on and I wore them until that winter, when I got more utilitarian boots and forgot about them.

These have been sitting in a closet for decades, since I'd last worn them, so I used a liberal coating of Red Wing boot oil to make them supple again, heat em up with a hair-drier, then a rag with black polish along the edges of the seams & scuffed areas, more hair drier, then another going over along the seams. The oil darkened them nicely.

They are/were nothing like modern colours.

DSCF7141.jpg

More a deep maroon or burgundy colour with a matte finish than what most oxbloods pass for these day.

andyf

Reaction score
No welt stitching at all on this boot
Yeah, I never come across half-size vintage DMs, so I often end up with boots that are too small or way too big if I size up. No such problem with vintage Astros as they run a bit large.

The regular 101 that DK linked do have external stitching, but the 101 'Brando' have internal stitching - see image in my earlier post. The Brando are nicer leather too (and the lettering on the pull tag isn't yellow, hooray!).

Yes sorry I should’ve been clearer. I meant the Brando 101.
Not been another pair that cheap on eBay since.

andyf

Reaction score
Not 100% sure.

I'd first found them in with my dad's hunting gear in the late 80s (...my gran had originally sent them over in the late 60s as hunting boots, but they are no good off-road, so he never wore them much...). I put a dark brown or black polish on and I wore them until that winter, when I got more utilitarian boots and forgot about them.

These have been sitting in a closet for decades, since I'd last worn them, so I used a liberal coating of Red Wing boot oil to make them supple again, heat em up with a hair-drier, then a rag with black polish along the edges of the seams & scuffed areas, more hair drier, then another going over along the seams. The oil darkened them nicely.

They are/were nothing like modern colours.

View attachment 961842

More a deep maroon or burgundy colour with a matte finish than what most oxbloods pass for these day.
They are a nice looking boot now.
Thinking back first pair of DMs I had were 8 hole tan 1460s. Now they would have looked great had I have known oxblood trick in 1980!
Photo shows yours truly wearing black Harrington and tan DMs early 1981

0DD20781-2FC1-4B55-B68F-0CE290181BBE.jpeg

Bela Kun

Reaction score
A pair of deadstock Levi's 502 with zip fly from the 60s - according to some posters, the quintessential skinhead Levi's back in the day. I think the size label says W32 L30.

502 deadstock 32-30 (1).jpg 502 deadstock 32-30 (2).jpg 502 deadstock 32-30 (3).jpg
Same cut as LVC 1966 from what I can tell: rounded top block, gently tapered leg. The rise looks what you'd call 'high' by today's standards, but more of a mid rise back then (maybe 11' or 11.5').

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Yeah, I never come across half-size vintage DMs, so I often end up with boots that are either too small or too big. No such problem with vintage Astros, which run a bit large.

Think the ones i linked are actually the archive version, never liked the trim dr martens put at the top so thats why i prefer those ones.

From what iv'e in the past the 502 was actually the version of Levis sold in Europe rather than the 501, a lot of lads used to size up too so the rise will be naturally higher, from what i know the majority of people then were not as tall and and skinnier than people now too so that is a factor to consider.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Yup. Although in some pics they look more like 1967 Levi's 505s, which was a classic 'slim-straight' cut with a more fitted top block. The braces guy in Neat Change might be wearing them, ditto the Fred Perry wearing bloke in Scotland 1968.

1967 neat change.jpg 1968 scotland.jpg

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of deadstock Levi's 502 with zip fly from the 60s - according to some posters, the quintessential skinhead Levi's back in the day. I think the size label says W32 L30.

View attachment 961942 View attachment 961943 View attachment 961944
Same cut as LVC 1966 from what I can tell: rounded top block, gently tapered leg. The rise looks what you'd call 'high' by today's standards, but more of a mid rise back then (maybe 11' or 11.5').

From what iv'e in the past the 502 was actually the version of Levis sold in Europe rather than the 501, a lot of lads used to size up too so the rise will be naturally higher, from what i know the majority of people then were not as tall and and skinnier than people now too so that is a factor to consider.

Fantastic, the zip will wave just a little when they shrink, just one shallow wavelength, but will work fine. Never heard of 501s or button flys until the marketing campaign of the mid-80s.

benj84

Reaction score
Fantastic, the zip will wave just a little when they shrink, just one shallow wavelength, but will work fine. Never heard of 501s or button flys until the marketing campaign of the mid-80s.
I think those 502s are pre shrunk as it looks like it has got 0217 after the 502 which I think means sanforized

Bela Kun

Reaction score

You mean you were still wearing 502s in the late 70s/early 80s?

benj84

Reaction score
Reply to my own post. It looks like 0117 actually, which I think it means it is stf. But the 505-0217 means preshrunk, I beg your parden

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads