1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Bit of a sidebar but when I was home with the missus in 2010 we were on the Metro from Newcastle to Sunderland and there were two girls in the carriage I noticed they were looking at us and kept looking over and whispering. They were aged about 13 and had that hairstyle where it’s long and straight with a side parting and the hair is coaxed forward from the parting then does an abrupt left turn across he forehead. They were both proudly displaying vinyl shoulder bags in the style of classic adidas bags that football team trainers used in the seventies and we all had as kids for school books and PE kit. One bag had a Mod Target, the other had the Northern Soul fist badge. I thought they seemed a bit young to be switched on to either scene but interpreted their looking our way and whispering as a sign that they recognized an older Mod (me!) from my gear. (Monkey jacket, FP, dessies).

I asked around a bit and was promptly brought down to earth when there seemed to be a consensus that these were likely just two daft young girls who must have bought the bags cos they thought they looked cool, with no idea of the history and provenance of Mod / Northern Soul and probably didn’t even notice me and were more likely whispering about my exotic looking missus! (African, long locks, hypnotic eyes!)

But yeah I do get mildly irritated when I see Mod iconography being appropriated indiscriminately in a shameless attempt to just sell gear.

2. Botolph

Botolph Distinguished Member

Well I can tell you why the gigs are so expensive now: cos the music ISN’T anymore. I won’t go off on a rant about it, but suffice it to say that musicians have to eat. Since so many people steal music coupled with the fact that it’s been devalued down to zero by hobbyist groups who give it away for free(and people expect all groups to do this), and “ownership” of songs seems a dirty word, money has to be made through gig guarantees and merchandising. This is the main readom for so many unexpected make-ups and reunion tours. The royalties have dried up, and people have to eat.

OK, so it might have been a rant

3. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

Like the advert I always think of those shoes as Bars (or perhaps more lazily as T Bars), who the hell is this 'Mary Jane'?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

I assume that is an American name but no idea.

Perhaps in 2018 we should reclaim the English English name for things - no more pocket squares, OTC, Balmorals, strollers, etc.

5. covskin

A bit off-topic but I was trying to remember what we called the long 1970s hair often referred to these days as a 'mullet'. That is a word I never heard in the 70s, mullet was the name given to a similar (but not identical) hairstyle in the 80s. I'm not even sure it had a name, maybe more a description, something along the lines of a 'bootboy cut'.

('blackburn' was cropped on top but long, thin and straight at back and sides, 'centre-parting' was through the fingers on top and fuller and wavier at back and sides, but what was the overall name?)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

6. Thin White Duke

I’m familiar with ‘blackburn’ (surely nowt to do with bowl-cut Tony!) but the ‘boot boy cut’ as you refer was common around ours but didn’t really have a name. It may have been influenced by Bowie’s Ziggy/Diamond Dogs period which would have been around then. As the move from skin>suede>bootboy>smooth involved a broadening of fashions (ending up with flares and platforms) maybe the ‘accepted’ music became broader too? Only speculating here as I was just a bairn!

7. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior Member

Pretty sure the original made to measure Modernists of 62 hated the tickets smashing up Brighton in parkas with targets a couple of years later . Im up west once a week and walk through carnaby st and you can always see at least one daft old bloke with a 'Liam ' haircut and a parka with a target on the back wandering around looking lost

8. Thin White Duke

Not sure there were many targets in 64 but I get your point and agree that 1964 was probably a watershed year when the membership reached a critical mass, the riots started, the press jumped on and magnified the hysteria, the look became a lot more ‘street’ and broadened / casual, allowing younger kids to join up and it was no longer underground. I can see the original stylists not being impressed by much of that. Something that they had been in on at the start was now being run by media and fashion moguls.

9. Mr Knightley

I went today. They had black and burgundy pairs for £45.

Mrs K was with me and she liked them. I tried both in size 7 and 8. The 7s were slightly too small and the larger ones much too big and ‘baggy ‘ feeling. Pity.

Or did that really just give me a way out? I did have a problem with that hard and shiny finish. But I do still like the basic shape...

Interesting stuff apart from the MBs and glad I made the short trip.

10. covskin

I toned mine down with some polish, if you see what I mean. There is a certain quirkiness to central European footwear, Grafters (Czech), Novesta (Slovak), Vass (Magyar), the affinity is unmistakable

11. Mr Knightley

BD459BDE-C733-47F8-9BE2-92E000763122.jpeg Yes, of course! When I was trying the Grafters I kept wondering what they reminded me of!

12. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

Indeed, some may be surprised how much women like monkey boots on men - but I am not because I know. You ought to get a pair, Mr Knightley.

13. lynx69

lynx69 Member

14. Jimmy Balantyne

Jimmy Balantyne Senior Member