• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
I'm thinking the first time I came across tassle loafers with DM soles would have been at Holt's in Camden Town either 1979 or 1980. Could have been a bit later ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
^You are totally right NP, the DM loafers first hit the street in 1980.
From the 'DM Archive' booklet about the DM Tassel loafer : 'first manufactured at the Austin (Luther) & Sons Ltd factory and Dr Martens original Cobbs lane factory, both in Northamptonshire, 1980 - present.'
And there were other brands making them than Air Wair : Hawkins, Shelly's, Solovair, George Cox, and Loake of course.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still don't remember them, 2Tone died in 1981 and nobody wore loafers after that (except the mainstream/night club lot in grey bit loafers). Memories eh

(like the harrington and crombie, also completely naff after 2Tone)

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, I like them... not with the full kit, of course. But, with proper trousers they still have their place. I mainly wear Weejuns for loafers these days.

lynx69

Reaction score
I just accidentally discovered short movie "The Johnny Leyton Touch" (1961), and Iain Gregory's clothing catch my eye. He looks like Skinhead in 61', was this already discussed here?

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Can anyone advice on jeans that are more or less like LVC 1966, just not as pricey?

What I'm looking for:
- regular fit, but slightly tapered at the bottom
- high rise
- selvedge

- ideally dry/unsanforized, but pre-shrunk (in my experience, shrink-to-fit 501s do shrink, but never enough to snugly fit round the waist; whereas I know exactly where I'm at with pre-shrunk raw denim)
- no bells and whistles, just plain dark indigo
Edwin Ed-55 look like a contender. Any other models?

Have a look at Edwin Ed-49.I think it ticks all the boxes for you.
IIRC they are the highest rise Edwin have produced.They do taper quite a lot.
I purchased the longest leg length (34) and had them cut down to a 32.
This gave a leg opening of 7.5” as opposed to a 7.25” on a 32 x 32 pr.

user12345

Reaction score
I don't go any lower then a 12 -13 inch front rise these days, any lower is going into mid rise territory imo, lee and wrangler have the best rise from my experience, the regular selvedge lee available on ebay in my size which is have a rise of 12.75 which is at the navel pretty much, I would wear these if i wanted to go all posh but im happy with my proletarian wranglers tbh, they hold up well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LEE-1...hash=item4b2509737d:m:mWCRz7GbUSVHcr1ABXNchIQ

Weren't the original 60's levis actually baggy too? heard they had a 18 inch opening and parallel leg.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
f3ab45b34f8e796efc654d7483a8e50b.jpg

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Nice pic. Dealer boots, jodhpurs, or cucaracha-stompers?

I think they may well be slip on shoes with elastic behind the (somewhat high) tongue.Its obviously an early photo,68 is my guess and reminds me of some of the styles at that time.I was never aware of Dealer boots until the 80’s ?
I immediately think of “Snatch” and covert coats when I hear the term mentioned .

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
55B7687E-9F60-4E86-869C-F38D8E5F884F.jpeg
I think they may well be slip on shoes with elastic behind the (somewhat high) tongue.Its obviously an early photo,68 is my guess and reminds me of some of the styles at that time.I was never aware of Dealer boots until the 80’s ?
I immediately think of “Snatch” and covert coats when I hear the term mentioned .
I agree that they are probably that slip-on style. This 1966 pic of Del Evans and friends shows the style quite well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads