• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess authentic details are less important to me than the rise/leg cut. I vaguely recall Brooks Brothers perhaps had a model than was a close sell ?

The Brooks Brothers Clark Advantage Chinos are what are tossed around as similar. They have a mid-rise and aren’t slim-fitting(thought they’re bot baggy). They are(that I know of, aside from the “stretch” ones) 100% cotton, so won’t hold a crease as well as traditional sta-prest with a higher man-made fiber content. However I did see they offer a non-iron Clark chino.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/de...ers-Site/da_DK/Search-Show?q=clark fit chinos

caLLLL

Reaction score
I have the Solovair Hawkins in the brown(6-eye), but don’t have the MiE Docs to compare. I will say that the toe box is a little bit on the narrow side. Not crushingly so, but a little narrow. If you have wider than D-width feet you may want to size up a half-size.

Alright. Any input on relative sizing to other models? I'm a US 9.5D so I'm concerned with the half sizing.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright. Any input on relative sizing to other models? I'm a US 9.5D so I'm concerned with the half sizing.

In US sizes: I’m a 9.5D on Alden’s Barrie last, 10D in their other normal lasts, 10D in Allen Edmonds. 10.5 or 11 in Adidas. 10.5 in New Balance.
UK: 9.5D in Church’s, 9D in Herring and Loake.

caLLLL

Reaction score
In US sizes: I’m a 9.5D on Alden’s Barrie last, 10D in their other normal lasts, 10D in Allen Edmonds. 10.5 or 11 in Adidas. 10.5 in New Balance.
UK: 9.5D in Church’s, 9D in Herring and Loake.
So in the hawkis would you translate to a 9UK? Is there a tad extra room?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B4923C20-83BE-4E44-89EA-FCB7CE8AE3C3.jpeg
So in the hawkis would you translate to a 9UK? Is there a tad extra room?

My point is that I normally take a UK 9 but the toe box on the Solovair Hawkins is a little narrow... I still wear the 9, but my foot wouldn’t be swimming in the boot if it were a 9.5. So if you have a wider-than-normal, but not necessarily an E-width foot, you might want to size up.

flyfronted

Reaction score
Love that colour but too many people on the internet have mentioned their frankly ridiculous prices and possible drop in quality lately.

Just checked - $390.

the quality is def upped from the material to zips . £300 for a jacket that will last you a decade really isnt expensive .

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember surfer jackets/football jackets/monkey jackets* of that colour with black piping/tipping in the early 70s, so not completely out of it. It's the colour the jacket on the cover of 'Trouble for Skinhead' must have been.

(* delete as appropriate)

Last edited:

alkydrinker

Reaction score
I do love the Baracuda G4 (without elastic banding) that I bought a couple years ago, which I would guess has the same materials as currently offered. I paid $350USD (I believe that was 10% off full price at the time). Yes, ultimately it's a thin windbreaker, so that price does seem a little expensive when viewed in terms of normal, common clothing. On the other hand, if you consider it is more of a niche item, made in the UK, with very good quality (perhaps not tip top), and a very specific desired aesthetic, it's not so bad. Like flyfronted said, you should get a lot of years/wears out of it and will realize the value.

Semi-related: I also just purchased one of the generally well-regarded harrington jackets from Jump the Gun. I agree with others that say they are quite nice for the more-affordable price than Baracuda. Also, Jump the Gun are indeed friendly and helpful, but I have to say that their sizing advice is off. The website recommends ordering your chest size and warns that they are pretty slim jackets. I double checked sizing via email and they advised that a size 40 is a 22" chest, while 42 is 23".

Well, it turned out the 42 I received has a 24.5" chest. This is measured with the jacket zipped, laid flat on the floor, and measured at the widest point which is across the bottom of the arm holes. Maybe they consider the chest an inch or two down from the arm hole?—I don't know. I am a pretty standard, healthy body weight 42 Long / 36" actual waist and this 42 harrington looks too big and puffy on me for sure.

It was like $23.00 to ship it back to the UK from Baltimore which kindof sucks. I'll probably try re-ordering a 40, but haven't yet, so I can't provide any specific info on the 40. The good thing for me was that body length was a little generous on the 42, so I have high hopes that a 40 would work for me being a little on the tall side. Overall, I concur that Jump the Gun is nice option to consider, but I would warn others to be aware of this sizing discrepancy.

My Baracuda is a 42 and fits perfect, with about a 23" chest....the Jump the Gun 42 definitely fits atleast one size bigger than the 42 Baracuda.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Can anyone advice on jeans that are more or less like LVC 1966, just not as pricey?

What I'm looking for:

- regular fit, but slightly tapered at the bottom (= like the LVC 1966, but unlike regular shrink-to-fit 501s, which aren't tapered)

- high rise

- selvedge

- ideally dry/unsanforized, but pre-shrunk (in my experience, shrink-to-fit 501s do shrink, but never enough to snugly fit round the waist; whereas I know exactly where I'm at with pre-shrunk raw denim)

- no bells and whistles, just plain dark indigo

Edwin Ed-55 look like a contender. Any other models?

Last edited:

alkydrinker

Reaction score
^You could look at Left Field NYC's Charles Atlas, but it's $155 USD and I don't know how friendly they are about shipping outside of the US.
All their measurements are nicely listed on the website, but, for example, on a 35 you get a 12.1" Front Rise & 7.4" leg opening. I have a pair in 35 myself, and am pretty happy, but I measured the front rise to be 0.5" lower than stated...which is still higher than many.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads