• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Sadly no - my pals - we were having a FB chat - these another pal brought that look the part View attachment 890023
What GH Bass shoe model is this?

I saw the same pic of Royal smooths that you posted about two years ago, and I've been on the lookout for them ever since. No chance.

If there's any other shoes that are very similar to the oxblood Royal smooths posted above, I'd be grateful for hints.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice looking. Even with the metal eyelets, £48 seems worth it if you can’t find anything similar on the eBay of Despair for cheaper.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Well whaddaya know, I tried on a size 10 at the GH Bass shop in Beak Street, and they fit me just fine (I'm technically in between sizes, so it all depends a bit on the make). They didn't have them on sale at the shop, but the moment I got out I ordered a pair on my phone. Should hopefully be with me soon.

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
Nice, im still tempted to buy a pair, wondering if 11 would fit tho considering the varied sizes, tho 12 aswell as 11 is comfy enough.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
4F78FB98-EB74-47AC-8CDA-D1FA62E423D9.jpeg
If there's any other shoes that are very similar to the oxblood Royal smooths posted above, I'd be grateful for hints.

Here are a pr of vintage shell Florsheim Imperials that I picked up some time ago.Unfortunately it’s always a gamble buying vintage shoes,as they can appear perfect,but the leather may be perished and split after a short time.
Good luck.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like any reaction to the following, from any 'originals' still on this thread. If you know of any originals who don't come on here any more, please pass along a message for them to come and make a comment. This is for 'The Book'.

From Time magazine, 8th June 1970:

Britain produced many of the first temblors of the youthquake. There were the eleganty dressed but often vicious Teddy boys of the late 1950s. There were the gentler Mods and the tough leather-jacketed, working-class rockers in the '60s. Now British youth, having helped give rise to Hell's Angels and hippies an ocean away, have spawned yet another phenomenon: the skinheads.

Also Suedeheads. Their hair is shaved to within an eighth of an inch from the scalp, and they are dress in oversized workpants, thin red suspenders and hobnailed, steel-toed boots costing about$10 and known as "cherry reds." The skinheads are lineal descendants of the rockers—with an added touch of mindless savagery. When their hair grows a frifle longer, they refer to themselves as suedeheads. Skins or suedes, they specialize in terrorizing such menacing types as hippies and homosexuals, Pakistani immigrants and little old ladies. "Hairies," those with long hair or hippie-style clothing, are their particular enemies, but they are quite happy to break up a synagogue, a Chinese café or an Indian restaurant. The skinheads live for "agro" (causing "aggravation") and "bovver" (street fighting). While they favor the boot as a primary weapon, they also use their heads to "nut" or butt a victim, and whatever other weapons come to hand: bricks, rocks, bottles, knives and razors. "Scar stuff," one skinhead explains. "We don't use weapons that will kill."

Maybe not, But in the year since the skinheads first appeared, many hundreds of serious injuies have beens blamed on skinhead romps. Jack Weeds, a train engineer jumped by a skinhead pack. described the experience: "I got boots in the back, in the guts, on the head, everywhere. I tried covering my head with my hands, then they kicked my hands. These kids were actually skipping around with excitement." In November, a gang 20 strong invaded a suburban party in Surrey, tore down a garden wall, wrecked furniture and sent eight guests to the hospital. Soccer games bring skinheads flocking, usually with weapons ranging from meathooks and carving forks to chisels and pipes. On a train returning from a match at Coventry, 300 skinheads nearly demolished the carriages; 60 were arrested. Nearly 100 were jailed after mob violence from Brighton to Blackpool during last month's three-day Whitsun weekend.

Big Guys. "You've got to be in a crew or there's nothing for you to do," a skinhead explains. "If you're out, you're a loner, and in bovver no one will help you." Admits one: "I don't say any of us are nice guys. We want to be 'tasty'—y'know, big guys." Most if not all the skinheads are working-class boys from 15 to 18, stuck in low-paying manual-labor jobs and reflecting the crudest prejudices of their blue-collar parents. Few have read a book or been in a church. "All I did in school," recalls one, "is kick the teacher."

Beyond bovver, pleasures are simple: beer, a very occasional whiff of pot and dancing in seedy clubs to the solid, punchy beat of West Indian blues. Skinheads don't bovver with the West Indians, probably because they are tough. Pakistanis are a favorite target because they seem passive, weak and, above all, different. "They smell, don't they?" says the son of a London docker. "It's all that garlic. I mean, they've no right to be here." One skinhead described the "****-bashing" technique to a British television interviewer: "You go up to them and bump into them, and then you nut them right, and then you hit them, and as they go down you give them a kicking, bash them with an iron bar, and take their watches and rings and things like that."

Last week more than 2,000 Pakistanis marched on No. 10 Downing Street to protest skinhead attacks, which have numbered more than 50 in recent weeks. If the skinhead problem worsens, some British voters, increasingly sensitive to law and order, may pay closer heed to the Conservative Party's emphasis on the issue and vote Tory in the forthcoming national elections. On a few occasions, police have confiscated bootlaces and braces from skinhead packs, on the theory that it is difficult to kick a victim if one's boots are flopping and one's trousers are dropping—but bootlaces and braces are not all that difficult to replace. The only resolution, it would seem, will come when Britain produces a still newer youth fad. In the meantime, Vidal Sassoon's Mayfair salon has capitalized on the current one by offering skinhead hairdos to London's trendiest ladies.

For my part, I never heard of anyone busting up a synagogue. For a start, most of the Spurs mob were Jewish!

By the way. The book is over 37,000 words and gradually having all kinds of glitches and inconsistencies ironed out of it, thanks to Mr Knightley. There is a possibility, but only a possibility at this stage, of Don Letts writing a foreword - I'm actually amazed that we have any 'name' interested at all. I'm hoping that it will be in a state to be sent to publishers some time in spring, in time to be published in 2019 (50the anniversary of 1969).

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I had never come across this word until I heard it being discussed on the BBC News yesterday.

Voila ! Here it is a day later...

From Time magazine, 8th June 1970:
Britain produced many of the first temblors of the youthquake.

Oxford Dictionaries has deemed "youthquake" the 2017 word of the year, reflecting what it calls a "political awakening" among millennial voters.

It was first coined in the 1960s by Vogue editor Diana Vreeland, who used it to describe sudden changes in fashion, music and attitudes.

Oxford Dictionaries said its use had seen a recent resurgence, to describe young people driving political change.

Oxford Dictionaries' Casper Grathwohl said it was "not an obvious choice".

But he said Youthquake's use in everyday speech had increased five-fold during 2017.

"In the UK, where it rose to prominence as a descriptor of the impact of the country's young people on its general election, calls it out as a word on the move," he said.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gs, I had to double-check with the OED myself, and yes, its usage does go that far back. We're in one of those later revivals that thinks it knows everything!
:-D:colgate::bounce2:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a quick Programme today called "Glimpses Of The Screenager 50s to 60s",never heard that Title before......Media again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads