Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I don't think I even saw them in the shops in S E London in the 60s - and we had branches of all the main shoe chains.

2. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Def a 71 ish thing Crombies and Tonics at half mast .

3. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

That is the first thing i have worn them with, my hair isn't the desired length yet but it is getting there. I wouldn't wear these shoes with jeans, Then again i never do with my brogues either.

4. Donkey Jacket

Perhaps Mr K wore a different kind of solatio shoe?.

5. Man-of-Mystery

Quien sabe!

6. Donkey Jacket

I had to google translate that for my uncultured self.

7. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Thanks mate. I really hadn't intended to post that outfit here but rather on WAYWRN on Classic Menswear then I seemed to lose it! Now I know where the post went....:blush:

8. Mr Knightley

Anyway, back to proper M to S stuff...in the late 1960s my local branch of Mintz and Davis in Chelmsford used to sell the best mod clothing in mid-Essex. There were braches in Chelmsford, Romford and, I think, East Ham.

It was in this wonderful emporium that I first bought a pair of Solatios (we pronounced them Solay-shi-oes) in about 1967. This first pair were in a fairly matt leather in a mid-brown colour. The front apron was not unlike that of the later 'boxtops' but was made in plain leather. These earlier Solatios were fairly slim and much lighter in appearance than those that came into vogue c. 1971.

By early 1970, everyone in my area was moving to Royals - brogues, plains and Gibsons - or loafers. But I fancied a pair of black Solatios and I recall getting the train from Chelmsford in May of 1970 to make a shopping trip in various parts of London. My first stop was in East London where I bought, among other things, a pair of black woven front Solatios in East Ham (probably from Mintz and Davis) and these, although very much like the re-issued boxtops, still had that lighter look and feel. All the branding, as far as I recall, was like that used on the heavier 1971 / 72 styles and as re-created today.

BTW I had to Google Quien sabe! too.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM

9. Mr Knightley

Now, I don't know if these are Solatios on the feet of Del Evans on holiday in Torquay in 1966 (I asked Gill but she couldn't recall) but they are typical of the lighter Mod shoe of that era. Solatios were worn with jeans and with tailored clothing. What I like about this picture is that it reminds us of a time when holiday clothes were just a very minor adaptation of everyday wear.

Mod Photos 213 (2).jpg

10. benj84

benj84 Senior member

May have been posted before. Pulled from the soul-source forum. Group from Sheffield (home city) on way to skegness. I know DJ likes his northern pics. post-1281-0-09806800-1353019851_thumb.jpg post-1281-0-66049600-1353019886_thumb.jpg

11. Man-of-Mystery

Now, I do remember a slim shoe with a basket weave apron 'oop North' in 67. I didn't associate it with the later, clumpy Solatios. It was 'just another mod shoe. It may or may not have been that brand.