Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

The book:

Current word count sitting at 27,000+. I want to get over 30,000 by the close of play today.

Many apologies for posting the attached pictures again. I believe they come from a collection of clippings given by Della Sutton to Roy (lasttye) some time ago. I am having a lot of trouble finding out the source of each - which newspaper, what date, etc. The one that says "skinheads began last year" must by from some time in 1970. It also mentions Suedeheads.

Any ideas, anyone?

article - IMG_1044.jpg article - IMG_1056.jpg article - IMG_1046.jpg article - IMG_1051.jpg article - IMG_1052.jpg article - IMG_1053.jpg article - IMG_1056.jpg

article - IMG_1050.jpg

2. Man-of-Mystery

Speaking of newspaper articles, my being at uni means I can get access to journal archives going way back. Today I looked up the article by Gloria Emerson, which she wrote following an interview with me. Gloria Emerson, who unfortunately is no longer with us, went on to be a highly respected journalist. When I looked at the article today, however, I realised that she made some absolutely embarrassing mistakes (embarrassing for me, if for no one else!). I'll post a pic of it below, but first a few comments of correction.

Col.1 "He keeps his hair cut so short that a pinkish scalp shows." Well, back then I never had it that short, as all my photos will attest. I have no idea how she imagined she could see my scalp through my college boy cut.

Col.1 "I started wearing boots four or five years ago." Jeez, I have no recollection of saying anything like that. I hadn't worn boots until the year before. Gloria's shorthand must have failed her!

Col.1 "He was a Mod in 1960." I was 10 in 1960, and I would never have claimed to have been a Mod. I hadn't even heard of them in 1960.

Col.1 "The boots he wears must be an American style called Dr. Martins." er...

Col.2 "He likes to brag he was fighting motor cycle gangs when he was 10 and a mod." Oh for fuck's sake! No I didn't!

Col.4 "There is also a skinhead pop music group in Britain..." Well, guess who that is!

I'm wondering if it is worthwhile telling the NYT 48 years later that she got all this wrong?

NYT1.png

3. Man-of-Mystery

By the way, I remember the incident in Woolworths. I was with a bunch of lads I only knew vaguely, from North London.

4. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

Sounds like typical press sensationalism to me M-O-M, perhaps she had no choice but to exaggerate it a bit? saying you kept a smart haircut perhaps would be as entertaining.

5. Man-of-Mystery

I'm just rather surprised, given her rep as a journo. Oh well, I guess she was still starting out back then.

6. Donkey Jacket

Yeah i think that is the case, we have to tow the line with any job at first then when we gain seniority i guess you can start to do things your own way.

It does seem to be a trend with skinheads and other working class youth cults of that time though, but that is true even today.

7. pressuredrop

pressuredrop Active Member

2nd & 6th photo, pre '73 as Harry Hull was headmaster of Bourne School, Ruislip until then, according to his obit.

Also found this while looking up the Bourne School disco incident:
    tumblr_inline_mk36eiasgq1rgn2sf.jpg

8. Donkey Jacket

Seen that pic on ballroom blitz but not heard the story, very smart lady.

9. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

They are all from the Daily Mirror. I did have the exact date of the fella and girl pics and I am sure they were late 69 and the others followed in 70

I need to look where I have this noted somewhere and get back to you

10. Man-of-Mystery

I've emailed the Mirror, but please do see what you can find. Thanks mate.