Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Wasn't April at all, was February 8th. Duh me.

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

It would have been 70/71 iirc?
    Stafford Army & Navy.
    I did specifically mention them back in one of my original posts....around page 736 I think?

3. lynx69

lynx69 New Member

Hi, I'm watching this forum for a few years now and I decided to join the discussion now.
    I live in Czech Republic so i'm interested in Monkey boots, whoever there is almost no info about them. Here in Czech Republic are Monkey boots almost unknown even for skinheads, and those who know that these boots exist don't know they originated from Czech Republic. Brand Cebo is known only as brand which produced trainer shoes, and i newer seen anything similar to monkey boots in military/antique stores. The brand Cebo in now owned by some Belgium owners and they still produce trainer shoes in city Zlin Czech Republic. You can find some info about history of Cebo here http://www.cebo-originals.com/history/ Btw. I asked them if they are manufacturing those monkey boots from janese on-line store (few pages back) and they replied to me this: "Thanks for your interest in the CEBO-brand . These Monkey Boots were a big success in the past, but now there is no more production in Europe. I think that it will only be available in China, South-Korea or Japan (it is a separate cebo-licence and we don’t have any contact with these Far East-people)." So they might be actualy fake :-( I think the first Monkey boots were ordered and made for our army before WW2 (or made during) because our army was disbanded in 1939 after Germany did takeover Czechoslovakia, in 1945 we rebuild our army and those boots probably doesn't suited needs of new army and stayed in warehouses until someone decided to sell them. I think the first monkey boots probably looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    Black color, cheap and durable. After all of those WW2 boots were sold another batch of boots was ordered and they were sold until 90s.

4. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Thanks @lynx69 . The trouble is, the 'story of Cebo' on their website isn't much of a story... No dates, no details, and as you say, no mention of monkey boots.

Is it possible that Cebo boots weren't army boots at all? Maybe they were boy scout boots like the Polish Zuch ones.

I've now spoken to a few Polish contacts who remember Zuch. I'm told that the boots they made for domestic use were paper-thin and really poor quality. At the same time, they made really good quality ones for export to the UK and possibly other countries. So I'm wondering: maybe Cebo manufactured their monkey boots exclusively for export, which would explain that no-one in your country remembers them?

As we now know, Grafters monkey boots are manufactured in the Czech Republic too and used to be made in Czechoslovakia since at least the 80s, if not earlier. Now, 'Grafters' doesn't sound very Czech to me - more like a catchy name designed to appeal to western customers. Have you ever seen Grafters monkey boots in Czech shops?

Oh, one more question: are the boots in the picture you posted by Cebo? And do you have a rough idea how old they are?

5. lynx69

lynx69 New Member

Yes i think its possible they wasn't army boots at all and yes they might be export only, but why would somebody made the army boots story?
    Grafters definitely doesn't sound Czech and i have never see them in stores. Most common boots here are probably Steel, KMM or Dr. Martens. I think the company might have UK owner and they are only manufacturing these boots in Czech Republic. I wonder if all boots made by Grafters are made in Czech Republic, did anyone tried for example buy their work boots?

I found them on Italian Ebay, there is actualy no photo evidence of Cebo, whoever they look like Cebo to me
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/252502837294?clk_rvr_id=1261589691224&rmvSB=true

I have brought from Ebay few months ago strange blend between Monkey boots and Dr. Martens 1460 made by Cebo and they look kinda similiar.
    [​IMG]

6. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

That is a lovely looking pair of boots, they remind me very much of the boots worn in the film bronco bullfrog

bronco.png
    Perhaps Czech or other eastern european boots were worn.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017 at 8:59 AM

7. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

The boots worn in bronco bull frog are by a brand called 'Commando' there sometimes was another manufacturer stamp on the sole called 'Itshide.' 10 years ago we had boxes full of these boots that Bobby had picked up at rag yards in England.

8. Donkey Jacket

Heard of those, should of thought it was those, i wonder how common they still are. Im not usually a fan of commando soles but i think they look alright with the look they have in the movie.

9. Northants bloke

Northants bloke Well-Known Member

This may be clear already but Itshide Commando refers the brand and model only of the soles rather than the entire boot. I have a pair of Cheaney's with Itshide Commando soles.

10. Northants bloke

Northants bloke Well-Known Member

11. LeviStubbsTears

LeviStubbsTears Well-Known Member

Speaking of fat ankles... these fit like a glove and are breaking in nicely. I'll probably buy another pair if I come across them again.

image1-10.JPG

12. Donkey Jacket

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

Anyone else think scooter design looks more 30s than 60s?

That link is all a bit tragic

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM

14. pressuredrop

pressuredrop Active Member

Quite. Not a lot of style coming across there.