1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

as far as sunglasses go, it seems aviators were/are popular.

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

as far as sunglasses go, it seems aviators were/are popular.

I certainly wore them. [​IMG]

3. gelassenheit

gelassenheit Active Member

4. Paint House Gang

Paint House Gang Well-Known Member

I've seen photo of 80s skins wearing NHS glasses, but that would have been out of necessity rather than part of the style. Always thought it was funny that some modern-day skins I knew in Toronto deliberately chose big ugly tortoise-shell glasses to replicate the style.

[​IMG]

5. Man-of-Mystery

<- would not be seen dead in them... would never have been seen dead in them.

6. dave

dave Senior member

[​IMG]

I wear these. I've always been partial to the thick black (sometimes dark tortoise) acetate frames. they're a bit severe, but so is the whole look so I think they fit. That coupled with my bowling ball shape and sized head makes them work IMO.

7. gelassenheit

gelassenheit Active Member

That's interesting about the NHS glasses, it makes a lot of sense. I guess the equivalent here would be Walmart glasses, I know a few people who have 'slummed it' with them, which I find tasteless to do so cynically.

Something really actionable for me on that is that tortoise-shell has come up in a number of posts, which is what I was leaning towards. I wear Capote-like black frames right now, which I think work, and I just bought some 80s RL polo in brown tortoise-shell that I think will work better.

Nice glasses Dave btw

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

this might be of interest...

so a fellow on another forum posted about the For Life 1460 8i boots in smooth oxblood. When the For Life boots came out there was only black and brown, but turns out they added dark oxblood now. Anyways, him being a connosseur (sic) and having a long history of owning various DMs and Solovair, he was really impressed with the new For Life boot (even tho it is made in Thailand). Everything about the boot is a step up from the normal and even MiE Dms. Higher quality materials, proper double faced eyelets, thicker leather, more supple leather etc. He compared this new color to an old pair of really vintage DMs and the color match is nearly identical. Looked good so I took a punt since I've always been after the "correct" DMs, knowing that the ones I had in the 80s were not the actual authentic oxblood color of the 60s boots. Turns out these are very close and a much nicer shade of oxblood than the MiE.

For $150 you get a boot that will be fixed or replaced for as long as you own them. And they look awesome. This is the boot that DM should be making as standard, not as a special higher end product.

[​IMG]

9. JonnyTheBoy

JonnyTheBoy Member

Hey lads, I have been wearing skin inspired clothing for the past couple of years, e.g. button downs, jeans, brogues, and all that. However, I haven't been able to find anybody that makes reasonably thin braces, 1/2 inch, to an inch wide. I am only able to find damned seatbelts. If someone could refer me to a maker of these it would be greatly appreciated. Also, are DM's still good quality? I haven't had any experience with them, but had read the quality was not worth the price.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Also, are DM's still good quality? I haven't had any experience with them, but had read the quality was not worth the price.

why don't you just read the post right above yours? [​IMG]

11. Man-of-Mystery

I haven't bought a pair of DMs in decades. Why? Simply because my shoe size is 8-and-a-half, and DMs don't come in half sizes. The 8s pinch and the 9s look like canal barges on my feet! [​IMG]

12. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

used to run with the skin crowd before joining the military..until it became to gang like then i left that crowd (esp constant battlings with CHS) I can't say i was one because as they say "if you used to be a skin you never were" i respect the heritage/culture and like the style though [​IMG]

13. DrBassie

DrBassie Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a pair of DMs in decades. Why? Simply because my shoe size is 8-and-a-half, and DMs don't come in half sizes. The 8s pinch and the 9s look like canal barges on my feet! [​IMG]

I'm in the same boat. I'm a 8.5 US and the U K8's are a tad loose. I usually just use inserts and it works out OK.

As for the For Life's, I'm waiting on them to be delivered. That color is way better than the other DM's and the Solovair I've seen.

14. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I love the new FP kids collection. I'm alreading planning to get my boy his first harrington jacket next winter! [​IMG]

15. OHT

OHT Senior member

i just registered myself in this forum, because i felt that this topic needed to have this pic:

[​IMG]

this is what i call a great suedehead look!

now my mission is complete

Now that is a really sharp look. Do you have anymore pics?

16. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior member

I still rock my DMs. I have a pair of 10-lace reds that have had more than 20 years of polish. They've been antigued with black and cordovan polish. The color is amazing. I get compliments all the time. The laces are old hiking boot laces, which just ads to the look. I got these boots when I was 16 from a skinhead in my neighborhood who ordered them from the UK (no internet...I know...I'm an old bastard) and they were too small. The leather is so soft, the soles are so broken in, they are like slippers. Just had to get a patch because there was a crack in the leather.

My green 8-laces are more than 15 years old. Antiqued them too. The patina is bad ass. I ordered them from a shop and had to wait almost 3 months for them to get to me. They were delayed in customs.

My black 8-laces are only 6 years old. I know. They're just getting broken in.

Also in my DM collection. White 8-laces (they're a bit too big...I got the urge to have a pair and bought the first pair that was close to my size...I still like wearing them though...they get tons of looks). Brown wing tips. Black and white wing tips. Black 3-laces.

My love of my DMs led me to learn to polish shoes. To care for them. And, at the time I bought my first pair I was working part time. The $100 was so much money. But it made me realize that if you spend a bit to get quality you'll take care of them and they'll be part of your family.

Now, I've kinda got the urge to get some blue 8-laces. And to be honest...I'm kinda contemplating getting a pair of Vintage Black 10-laces...just because...

17. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior member

And one more thing. You wanna get a feeling for what it was like to get your &quot;uniform&quot; as a skin in the 80s, watch Made In England. When the kid gets his first Ben Sherman I actually cried...stop laughing...I'm still pretty macho...

18. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

You mean "This is England", the movie. not made in england. There was a film called Made in Britain starring Tim Roth as a racist skinhead, but obviously a completely different movie [​IMG]

speaking of This is England, they just finished airing the 4 part sequel called This Is England 86

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

Speaking of which, you'll be getting your dvds mailed this week if yer a lucky cunt.

20. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

speaking of This is England, they just finished airing the 4 part sequel called This Is England 86

And very good it was too. Finished last night. Rumours of This Is England 90.