Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I never saw Velvet on collars in the 60s.

Neither did I.

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

South of The River we did wear suits with open-neck shirts, believe it or not. We've noticed in previous posts in this thread how things could be slightly different in various districts around London. The photo below shows myself and a mate with open-necked shirts and matching pocket-handkerchiefs. [​IMG] When I said that the guys in the 'Doo' photo were sharp I meant it. I didn't mean that any or them were or weren't conforming to an 'original' style, just that they looked pretty decent. [​IMG]
    Yes they do look sharp and the lads would have appreciated your comments MoM Thanks, One does not have to conform or dress like a skinhead to look smart. Their was around 130 Skinhead Boys and Girls there last night and a least 50 of the lads was wearing suits all looking very smart. Just to add MoM Did your trousers have the creases up to the waist band with darts ?

3. albion

albion Well-Known Member

Can't talk about the 60's, as i wasn't born,
    but i do remember a few London skinheads
    in the 80's wearing paisley cravats.
    The Last Resort shop off Petticoat Lane used
    to sell them. Here is a page from their old catalogue.
    God, some of their clothes were awful...I remember
    buying my first Crombie there as a 10 year old.
    It fell apart at the seems after a few months.

http://www.styleforum.net/images/attach/jpg.gif
    [​IMG]

4. Southlondongent

Southlondongent Senior member

. Present day Skinheads wear loud open neck Check shirts with their suits, Dont know how this came about, Is it a 79/80s thing ?

Cravats are worn by some present day skinheads, I also never saw this in the 60s W London.
    Most skinheads on the present scene are 79/80s Skinheads, And i think the correct dress code is lost in time, Or maybe they dont want to dress like the Originals ?? Or its just evolved this way?

The suit/open check shirt is a Mod thing, isn't it. For example see Marriott here (on left) or McClagen second from right in the 2nd pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, the cravat is a dandy Mod style. So I'd summise it's a more dandy mod influence on the current day Skins (see also covered buttons, velvet collars), than the originals who, if anything, were the antithisis of the more overtly dandyish late-Mod style..

...however, 8 seconds into this clip, which I'd guess is c1970...I'm sure the 3rd bloke out of the door is wearing a cravat(?) (note also the orange shirt!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpeHX...eature=related

5. stilts121

stilts121 Active Member

It (the lad in question 0:08 into the clip) also looks like a double breasted suit jacket?

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Of course i agree about the yellow laces, was gonna get them with black laces. I already have several pairs of brogues, my favourites being Allen Edmond "McNeil" in burgundy.

If you have the McNeil (a great shoe btw), I wouldn't go backwards with the other ones you linked as they look a bit cheap (correct grain leather is obvious). Always move forward with shoe quality!!

Some of the Lads from a Doo this weekend in Southend.

Roy, you and Brash look well smart! I remember seeing pics of his suit when he got it made, but it wasnt worn so one couldnt get a sense of fit but it looks great on him. (the blue one with velvet collar)

The suit/open check shirt is a Mod thing, isn't it.

funny because I always associated open shirt (no tie) with skinheads. Mods ALWAYS seem to wear a tie, at least that I've ever seen at soul 'dos. Whereas I cant really remember skinheads suited up that ever wore a tie, at least in my part of the world.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Just to add MoM Did your trousers have the creases up to the waist band with darts ?

I know this is shameful but I'm blowed if I can remember!

8. Man-of-Mystery

Can't talk about the 60's, as i wasn't born,
    but i do remember a few London skinheads
    in the 80's wearing paisley cravats.

In the 60s what you did wear sometimes was a scarf (usually burgundy with small, white polka dots, but sometimes someone with mod roots might wear paisley - I nicked a paisley scarf from my dad in about 1967) which would be worn cravat-style inside the neck of a crombie or a sheepskin.

9. Man-of-Mystery

The suit/open check shirt is a Mod thing, isn't it. For example see Marriott here (on left) or McClagen second from right in the 2nd pic

'Gent, I don't know what it is - maybe the cut of the jackets - but I can't help liking the SF's style on the 'Greatest Hits' album cover. Not too struck on the hair though.

10. Man-of-Mystery

I always associated open shirt (no tie) with skinheads. Mods ALWAYS seem to wear a tie, at least that I've ever seen at soul 'dos. Whereas I cant really remember skinheads suited up that ever wore a tie, at least in my part of the world.

To be fair Jason we are talking about 'back in the day' or, if you like, whether revivalists since then derived their trend of wearing open-necked shirts with suits from images/impressions of the original scene.

11. bunty

bunty Senior member

Hello all, Re open-neck shirts with jackets, what about the Fred Perry shirt with suit/jacket? Or the collared fine knit Smedley style shirt with jacket? Mod again, but stylish.

Vaguely remember seeing a pic of Stevie Marriot with a cycling shirt under a jacket too.

12. Man-of-Mystery

Hello all, Re open-neck shirts with jackets, what about the Fred Perry shirt with suit/jacket?

Not unknown in my day. I took a white FP and a PoW jacket on holiday to Spain in 1970.

13. bunty

bunty Senior member

In the 60s what you did wear sometimes was a scarf (usually burgundy with small, white polka dots, but sometimes someone with mod roots might wear paisley - I nicked a paisley scarf from my dad in about 1967) which would be worn cravat-style inside the neck of a crombie or a sheepskin.
    Yes, I'm trying to find a photo from about '68 - leather bomber jacket with white silk scarf. The scarf tied cravat style as you said worn with the above or with a 'mac'. Said they looked like fighter pilots! (Funny that Rockers wore the same but in a different way) I think the clothes in the photo of the chaps at Southend are fantastic - if there is too much emphasis on looking original I think that it will become like a re-enactment society.

14. Man-of-Mystery

if there is too much emphasis on looking original I think that it will become like a re-enactment society.

The Skinhead Sealed Knot! [​IMG]

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The Skinhead Sealed Knot! [​IMG]

Many on the present day scene try and wear original clothing, I have mention Re-inactment before...and some have been offended by my remarks. I was chatting to a lad over the weekend who only wears original stuff.

Me why would i want to wear Original stuff when i already wore it once as a Original Lol.