• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pub prices. I can remember, in 1968, there was a fairly new pub just outside Blackpool (opposite a row of shops on Hardhorn Way, Poulton) which has since been demolished, and you could still get a pint for just under a shilling.

roytonboy

Reaction score
Best of luck with the op. Ed. Look forward to seeing more posts from you as soon as you are able.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Ed…with you under the anesthetic,it should make United play and the Final more attractive !

They will be putting a warning on all hospital TV screens

"Objects may appear closer than actually are.Do not adjust your set.Characters may appear to be moving faster than they actually are"

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Ed.

When I die and they lay me to rest…………….

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all your good wishes, chums... I wish I had taken more water with last night's vodka though - I suffered this morning!:brick:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aye, remember them well... Levi's were 53/- or £2-13s or even just £2-65p in today's new world.
smile.gif
from Jeffery Cohen's gaff on New Brown Street.(JC later did all the 'Stolen from Ivor' cheapos etc.)

Wranglers were a couple of bob cheaper and I have no idea about Lee Riders.
nod[1].gif

BS also around the price of Levi's while Jaytex, like Wranglers, were a few shillings cheaper.

Brutus were not on my want list in '69.

A Levi denim jacket was just shy of a £fiver at £4-19-6d.

Thanks for making an old man feel even older, BTW!
satisfied.gif

Decimalisation was certainly a clever con, and I'm sure fortunes were made on the back of it . They told us that with 100 pennies to the Pound it would make things easier but old money wasn't difficult if you could count. .

I liked the hawf croon , the wooden thrupenny and of course the tanner, it was like real money compared to the toy town stuff we get now. I think in real terms tho' , the Levis you mention are cheaper to buy now unless of course you are buying LVC but you would need the LVC for the weight and quality that we got back then. .

roytonboy

Reaction score
Decimalisation was certainly a clever con, and I'm sure fortunes were made on the back of it . They told us that with 100 pennies to the Pound it would make things easier but old money wasn't difficult if you could count. .

I liked the hawf croon , the wooden thrupenny and of course the tanner, it was like real money compared to the toy town stuff we get now. I think in real terms tho' , the Levis you mention are cheaper to buy now unless of course you are buying LVC but you would need the LVC for the weight and quality that we got back then. .

'Old' money made sense. Goods often come in packs of 12 - a box 3x4 - so, if something was 5 old pence, then they were 5 shillings for a dozen. Drifting right off topic here........... still, fits with the era, I suppose....

For our younger members (and those overseas) 12 pennies = 1 shilling . 20 shilling = £1

A throwback to the Roman occupation was that the pound symbol £ originally stood for Lira and the symbol for a penny was d, which originally stood for dinar therefore Levis would be priced £3 7s 6d. Some goods would be priced in 'Guineas' which was £1 1s

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Old' money made sense. Goods often come in packs of 12 - a box 3x4 - so, if something was 5 old pence, then they were 5 shillings for a dozen. Drifting right off topic here........... still, fits with the era, I suppose....

For our younger members (and those overseas) 12 pennies = 1 shilling . 20 shilling = £1

A throwback to the Roman occupation was that the pound symbol £ originally stood for Lira and the symbol for a penny was d, which originally stood for dinar therefore Levis would be priced £3 7s 6d. Some goods would be priced in 'Guineas' which was £1 1s

Indeed , Pounds , shillings and pence or LSD . .
smile.gif

Yes , apart from your example , it seemed easier to work out if things were sold in dozens , which obviously many things were . I recall adverts on the tv back then that would say something like . ."only 17 Guineas , mail order. ."

skinny legs

Reaction score
My old man now still talks about 50 bob suits, paid in instalments.
I went through his wardrobe a while back, and he's still got a covert coat which dates back back to the early 60s, which bears testimony to the quality of the thing- a Jewish Tailor in Balham made it for him apparantly.
Talking of which; this is perhaps one for the look goes on thread, but what the heck...
What's the longest owned clothing item in your own wardrobes?
Personally it's an old silk Chelsea scarf that was purchased in Wandsworth circa 74.
It's faded purple now, has well earnt it's keep, and still looks decent with a crombie

Newton heath

Reaction score
My uncle bought a very expensive overcoat in the mid sixties ,I can't remember the cost but the price was in Guineas which to me always made it more quality,

roytonboy

Reaction score
My old man now still talks about 50 bob suits, paid in instalments.
I went through his wardrobe a while back, and he's still got a covert coat which dates back back to the early 60s, which bears testimony to the quality of the thing- a Jewish Tailor in Balham made it for him apparantly.
Talking of which; this is perhaps one for the look goes on thread, but what the heck...
What's the longest owned clothing item in your own wardrobes?
Personally it's an old silk Chelsea scarf that was purchased in Wandsworth circa 74.
It's faded purple now, has well earnt it's keep, and still looks decent with a crombie
My old Levi denim jacket, originally bought in 1969. Unsurprisingly it doesn't fit now as I was 14 or 15 at the time. I wore it through the skinhead and bootboy eras, for 3 years as a student and even to go to work when I was 23. A couple of years ago I got it down from the loft and gave it to my girlfriend as they were quite trendy at the time.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Apologies all, it's only in the last week I've learned how to post 'reps' - early onset daftness setting in, I fear.

Still a great forum and I owe all of you who have been kind, (at least) a pint... Royton Boy and our mate from Nooten 'eef (sic) - will get them in at the next 'do'.:cheers:

Newton heath

Reaction score
Thank you ed Vaughan, I'll be sipping a few grey gooses tonight to your good health

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Apologies all, it's only in the last week I've learned how to post 'reps' - early onset daftness setting in, I fear.

That makes two of us Ed ! Sorry for my ignorance folks
shog[1].gif

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longest owned / oldest items?
Keep in mind I'm a revivalist Mod since the late seventies so can't compete with original sixties yoof, but ...

I still occasionally wear a pair of my Dad's RAF issue aviator shades which I think date back at least to the mid fifties.

I also inherited his Crombie. It's midnight blue wool, not covert style but single breasted notch lapel with three exposed buttons.

I have a Levis jacket which I bought in Spring 1988. Doesn't get worn much in favour of my Harrington but I doubt I'd get rid of it now for posteriority!

In 1985 I bought a silver 'worsted and silk' sharkskin jacket (possibly half of what was once a bespoke suit) which clearly dated to the early sixties. (Very slim lapels, five inch vents, three buttons). It cost me fifteen quid in Affleck's Palace in Manchester and still gets an occasional wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads