Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

It would be easier too if we could have a Mod/Skin cut off date too!

It would be easier, yes, but like the man said, 'It doesn't work like that.' In '68, for example, the London 'totters' didn't call themselves 'mods' any more, but the term 'skinhead' was still an insult. Up North something of the 'mod' ethos lasted well into the Northern Soul era. Boundaries of time and space blurred, Bunters old bean. [​IMG]

Somebody help me here, going round in bleedin circles now.

Let us know when you... er... disappear. [​IMG]

...having a shotgun stuck in your face ruined mohair trousers so I'm informed [​IMG]

Strewth, I can imagine!

Think more 'Mulberry Bush' the pursuit of pleasure, girls and to impress your mates.

You had to mention that bloody film. Put me right off me Weetabix!

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

There is this misconception that Northerners only wore Levi Jackets.I had one in `68.I had not been no further than Watford in the 60s.I know I will probably upset Lasttye on this one-but Chelsea were not in the forefront of Skinhead Fashion(back in the day).So the comment from a Chelsea Supporter showed that he had not been to West Ham.Levi Jackets were worn with Jungle Greens-ask the Mile End.The one thing that put the Northerners apart(later)was the Patch over the pocket-hence the Album Cover.

3. Man-of-Mystery

The one thing that put the Northerners apart(later)was the Patch over the pocket-hence the Album Cover.

They did that in '67 too, by the way.

4. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I am sure Some London skinheads in the 60s had jean jackets , but i never saw it, I would stand on the Chelsea Shed End thousands of us, and no jean jackets.
    If you went to Manchester, Liverpool, it was like a uniform, a London skinhead would not wear one as it was considered northern Kit.

6. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

Just came across a few more interesting pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Man-of-Mystery

Just came across a few more interesting pics:
    [​IMG]

Those are the Smithies from Deptford. I knew at least one of them (the bloke extreme left). I got permission from the newspaper to reproduce that pic here, but it looks like it has been cribbed onto a few more sites.

9. Man-of-Mystery

[​IMG]
    This appears to be a composite picture. I have my doubts about the girls on the left being from the late 60s - they seem a bit too brash. Just an impression.

10. Man-of-Mystery

Mom, I believe I found some Jodphur Boots on ebay. They do look pretty nice, not really my style though, not a fan of non-laceup boots.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAREST-DOC-MARTE...item1c17ffc397

No, those aren't what we used to wear. Our 'riders' were elastic sided, more like the ones below.

[​IMG]

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

No, those aren't what we used to wear. Our 'riders' were elastic sided, more like the ones below.

[​IMG]

Did they not call em Chelsea boots in the mid 6os.

12. Man-of-Mystery

They are not unlike Chelsea boots, in fact they're very like them; but 'riders'/jodhpur boots were made specifically for horse riding. For one thing they had leather soles so that they did not catch the horse's hair or skin.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

They are not unlike Chelsea boots, in fact they're very like them; but 'riders'/jodhpur boots were made specifically for horse riding. For one thing they had leather soles so that they did not catch the horse's hair or skin.
    They became known as "Dealer Boots"-with the rubber sole,in East London.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

This appears to be a composite picture. I have my doubts about the girls on the left being from the late 60s - they seem a bit too brash. Just an impression.
    Knew some Girls who were very brash,in the 60s-but then that is a different subject!!![​IMG]

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Those are the Smithies from Deptford. I knew at least one of them (the bloke extreme left). I got permission from the newspaper to reproduce that pic here, but it looks like it has been cribbed onto a few more sites.
    I met a skinhead at work from Bermondsey in 69, and is a friend to this Day, He is a Millwall supporter, Although i was a Chelsea supporter i would get down Millwall with him and he would come to Chelsea, Got to know the Millwall faces, Black lad T, and the K Brothers. We would Drink in the Wellington, New Cross, Also would get in the Dunn Cow, and the Royal Oak Tooley st, Happy Days