Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. albion

albion Well-Known Member

"By the way, did anyone see bleach 'splattered' jeans in the 60s? (As opposed to bleached as to appear faded)" I believe this photo is from around '69, as i found it on another skinhead forum in an album entitled "Originals". Could be wrong.
    [​IMG]

2. albion

albion Well-Known Member

Nice pair of loafers in that bottom pic there Bunty

3. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior Member

4. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior Member

Nice pair of loafers in that bottom pic there Bunty

Yes, and what an example of that crossover look that I have been trying to describe on the ill-fated 'Skinhead to Smooth' thread.

The other thing that this pic demonstrates is that reluctance to strip off even in a very warm climate eh?

5. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior Member

More photos..

[​IMG]

Arenal July 1971

By the way, did anyone see bleach 'splattered' jeans in the 60s? (As opposed to bleached as to appear faded)

What make are the loafers?

Splattered jeans were big with later mods too in my area from around 1967. You would wear a fine Smedley like top, immaculate Solatios and splattered jeans. It was too extreme for me.

6. albion

albion Well-Known Member

What make are the loafers?

Splattered jeans were big with later mods too in my area from around 1967. You would wear a fine Smedley like top, immaculate Solatios and splattered jeans. It was too extreme for me.

Strange isn't it? I always thought the bleached jeans look was a punk influence on skinheads emerging in the late 70's, but it seems it goes way back.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

Strange isn't it? I always thought the bleached jeans look was a punk influence on skinheads emerging in the late 70's, but it seems it goes way back.

From personal recollection: I experimented with two or three pairs of Levis, trying for a 'worn-in' look. The results were never satisfactory. I recall having one pair that looked pale blue but had all the stiffness of new Levis, and one pair that were streaky. I wonder if the streak-bleached look came about from other people's experiments? I know I gave up the experiment, having always preferred Levis which looked natural (for want of a better word). Interestingly the Levi Jacket I'm wearing in the pic below has had a splash of bleach. The photo was taken in 1969; it would have been unusual, but not unheard of, for me to have been wearing a denim jacket at that time. I do remember that this photo wasn't taken in London, and that possibly the jacket wasn't mine.
    [​IMG]
    I do notice that I'm wearing it '67/'68 Northern Mod style - two buttons done at the top, cuffs turned over once. The habit of putting your hands in your back pockets too. Maybe I simply couldn't leave that influence behind. I don't know... I'm seeing it all through the mist of time...

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ I think I've seen that pic before, on a flyer for a club night [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Man-of-Mystery

Yeah yeah all right. Sheesh! [​IMG]

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Distinguished Member

Did see the odd person wearing bleached jeans, this was mostly down to accidents trying to fade jeans.
    What we did do with 60s Levis was rub them on bricks or stone to give a worn look. The Levis bought in the 60s was shrink to fit, and a far more heavy weight cotton than these days.

11. PxC

PxC Active Member

M-O-M, regarding the split between northern and southern styles, was there a specific area where this split began or was it a gradual thing?

Looking at the pictures from The Shades in Northampton, for instance, the people there seemed to follow the northern style, even though it's not that far up north.
    Would you say for instance that the midlands' style was somewhere in between London and the regions farther up north?

Sorry if it's already been discussed here, but what were the most striking differences between the northern and southern styles in terms of particular clothes, shoes, hairstyles and so on?

From personal recollection: I experimented with two or three pairs of Levis, trying for a 'worn-in' look. The results were never satisfactory. I recall having one pair that looked pale blue but had all the stiffness of new Levis, and one pair that were streaky. I wonder if the streak-bleached look came about from other people's experiments? I know I gave up the experiment, having always preferred Levis which looked natural (for want of a better word). Interestingly the Levi Jacket I'm wearing in the pic below has had a splash of bleach. The photo was taken in 1969; it would have been unusual, but not unheard of, for me to have been wearing a denim jacket at that time. I do remember that this photo wasn't taken in London, and that possibly the jacket wasn't mine.
    [​IMG]
    I do notice that I'm wearing it '67/'68 Northern Mod style - two buttons done at the top, cuffs turned over once. The habit of putting your hands in your back pockets too. Maybe I simply couldn't leave that influence behind. I don't know... I'm seeing it all through the mist of time...

12. Man-of-Mystery

M-O-M, regarding the split between northern and southern styles, was there a specific area where this split began or was it a gradual thing?

Looking at the pictures from The Shades in Northampton, for instance, the people there seemed to follow the northern style, even though it's not that far up north.
    Would you say for instance that the midlands' style was somewhere in between London and the regions farther up north?

Sorry if it's already been discussed here, but what were the most striking differences between the northern and southern styles in terms of particular clothes, shoes, hairstyles and so on?

Blimey, now you're asking! I wouldn't know! I simply got on a bus at Victoria bus station three or four times in '68 and '69, and got off in Blackpool. Where the 'split' began I've no idea.

Let me dredge my memory and see what I can come up with, though.

I can recall a conversation in '69 when a Chelsea supporter was talking to me about hanging round outside Stamford Bridge before a game against a club from the North. "We were waiting to see if any of their supporters turned up, and we saw this bloke in a Levi jacket, so we thought: 'The northerners are all denim boys!'. So we asked him what time it was, but he answered us in a London accent."

In '67/'68 up north the fashion scene for 'mods' was still fairly fast moving and diverse. Suit jackets (often worn with jeans) could be seen with flap-pockets, patch-pockets, patch-pockets with flaps; side vents, centre vents, pleats. Monkey jackets gave way a lot to Levi denim jackets, Levi cord jackets, even Leather jackets in the same style. Some blokes wore Levi cord jeans, usually wheat-coloured. Down in London in '68 the styles seem to have stood still. Jeans and monkey jackets, suits with a single centre vent.

The one big difference was the Levi denim jacket, I'd say.

Things started moving in S E London. Jungle greens, jodphur boots (a brief fashion, because they quickly lost their looks). I remember the first time I went back to Blackpool from London; I travelled up in a monkey jacket (dark blue with red-white-blue trim), jungle greens, and 'cherry red' boots. I got stares from the Blackpool crowd. They all wanted to know about London fashions, but whether what I said influenced them I don't know. We all went to the Wheel and to an all-nighter in Oldham that weekend, and I wore jodphur boots with my Levis, but I don't think that fashion ever got up north.

I can remember one time in '69 I was sitting on a wall by the A207 at Shooters Hill (I can't remember what I was waiting for), but I saw a couple of blokes hitch-hiking. I couldn't say where they were from, but I had them sussed as 'Northerners' of some kind. They basically looked like any other skinheads, but with denim jackets, and with very wide jeans with sewn-in turn-ups.

That's about all I can tell you. Heaven knows where the N/S boundary was. What we've heard from this thread indicates that there were all kinds of minor boundaries between fashions all over the place, even in London.

I guess people up North didn't get to shop at The Squire Shop and places like that. I was going to say I didn't know how far North the Harrington got in the late 60s, but then I came across this pic described as 'early 70s', but how could you tell?) from Dundee:
    [​IMG]

I can't guess how young those lads are, but I'd say they belong to the everybody's younger brother generation that followed on immediately from what we've been calling 'originals' on this thread. The pic comes from a blog called Retro Dundee, and this page is quite interesting.

Incidentally, I'm currently being pulled up by a bloke on YouTube who says if I didn't hate 'pakis' I wasn't really there. Yeah, right, whatever.

13. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior Member

14. Man-of-Mystery

Yes 'jodphur' boots were worn up here, but called 'riders' - ye never know, perhaps it's all 'Because of You'!
    It depends which bit of the North we're talking about. I don't claim to be Ace Face anywhere! [​IMG]

15. bunty

bunty Senior Member

Yep, riders here too (N.London) 67/68 but went out quickly as you said. Seemed that before the strict uniform look from about, what, '69, you could introduce/get away with quite a bit with clobber - as long as you hung on to the principles as it were.

As for a 'northern look' agree here too. The lads down our way went on lots of holidays in the 60s and met up with northerners, and guess what? We copied them as much as they copied us. This was more mod again though, the 'skinhead' strict style was a London fashion, that us northerners(!) in Hertfordshire were slightly behind too? The more 'faddy' mod items, were ripped off from all over the place, where as what you all call the 'Ivy' look was originated in London? Have I got that right?

It would be easier too if we could have a Mod/Skin cut off date too! Mod up to mid 68?

Somebody help me here, going round in bleedin circles now.

By the way MoM - Speaking from this neck of the woods - P. bashing - was bullying, wouldn't do it, gang violence - if you wanted it, on the whole didn't fight any more or less than average blokes, (having a shotgun stuck in your face ruined mohair trousers so I'm informed[​IMG] ) Think more 'Mulberry Bush' the pursuit of pleasure, girls and to impress your mates.