Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

The top pic of the girls i would say are Northerners,

Both the photos were taken in the North and later than the Skinhead era.

2. Little Queenie

Yes they do look young and are young, its funny we had moved on somewhat by 70, but you would see these little 13/14 year old skinheads running around causing mayem Lol.
    When one is so young even 6 months between ages is a lot, A 15 year old would not hang around with a 14 year old.

Yes, it's funny that! A few months at that age makes a huge difference - look at us now, though, it doesn't seem so important anymore!

3. Rude.Gal

Rude.Gal Member

maybe i should give it up .. [​IMG]

4. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

By Regency dandyism I take it we mean the style attributed to George Bryan Brummell and his circle. As we know, Beau Brummell took what was previously country wear and turned it into super-smart town wear. It was a look so simple that not a great deal has been written about it. We know from the great Beau's biographers that:

Brummell's style was in fact simplicity, but simplicity of the most studied kind. Lord Byron defined it, "a certain exquisite propriety of dress."

I wonder, is it the traditional skinhead that is a spiritual successor? When we consider that the Dandy rarely had a fortune, was often born into a lowly family and lived by his wits and self confidence alone we start to see even greater parallels. Dandyism is of course a way of life whereas being a skinhead only lasted a year or two. Or did it?

Anyway I thought it a comparison worth exploring.....

Interesting thought John. The term Dandy is probably being misinterpreted on the same scale as 'Skinhead' is [​IMG]

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

maybe i should give it up .. [​IMG]

No dont worry, Regional differences was vast back in the 60s, early 70s, I travelled all over England with football, and saw the differences first hand.
    Like if we was travelling up to say Liverpool, and not many was going up there, You would be taking a risk of getting a kicking, the Northerners would know you was from London by the way you was dressed.
    They would try and ambush you for your clobber if you was silly to get separated from the main crowd.
    Happy days lol

6. Little Queenie

No dont worry, Regional differences was vast back in the 60s, early 70s, I travelled all over England with football, and saw the differences first hand.
    Like if we was travelling up to say Liverpool, and not many was going up there, You would be taking a risk of getting a kicking, the Northerners would know you was from London by the way you was dressed.
    They would try and ambush you for your clobber if you was silly to get separated from the main crowd.
    Happy days lol

Well it is grim up North, ye know!

7. John Boy

John Boy Member

Right, were dr martens shoes worn by the original skins? I tend to wear a more 'ivy' influenced look but i need some hard wearing shoes and loafers and brogues I feel are to smart and to expensive to wear everyday. So I was thinking of purchasing some doc shoes.

So which are better, the vintage shoe, the made in england or the for life? which would the original skins choose?

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Right, were dr martens shoes worn by the original skins? I tend to wear a more 'ivy' influenced look but i need some hard wearing shoes and loafers and brogues I feel are to smart and to expensive to wear everyday. So I was thinking of purchasing some doc shoes.

So which are better, the vintage shoe, the made in england or the for life? which would the original skins choose?

I never saw DM shoes being worn 'back in the day'.

9. John Boy

John Boy Member

any advice on the footwear M-o-M? I'm on my feet all day at work so boots are not the best plus because I'm in an active job role I dont want to spend to much on expensive loafers or brogues I need something hard wearing.

10. Man-of-Mystery

any advice on the footwear M-o-M? I'm on my feet all day at work so boots are not the best plus because I'm in an active job role I dont want to spend to much on expensive loafers or brogues I need something hard wearing.

I guess I'd have to say Clarks for comfortable shoes.

If you don't mind something that compromises style a little, you could go for elastic-sided loafers something like the ones below. I know they're not a 'purist' style, but I have been wearing a pair in black for some time, and they seem to be quite comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    I know they aren't workwear, but would they do? I think you'll have to go for comfort and hard-wearing and to heck with precise style while you're at work.

11. John Boy

John Boy Member

cheers for the feedback M-o-M much appreciated!

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

cheers for the feedback M-o-M much appreciated!

Never saw Dr Martin Shoes in the 60s, dont think they was available in those days,
    Regarding foot wear for work, Nothing wrong with any type of boot for work, I have worn boots for work every day since i left school in 69. plenty of support and comfort, wear with good quality socks and plenty of foot powder.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I think you'll have to go for comfort and hard-wearing and to heck with precise style while you're at work.

exactly, i dont get this notion that some mythical "skinhead fashion police" will ticket you for not having 1969-approved garb on 24/7 [​IMG]

14. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Im pretty sure that picture was taken at The Shades in Northampton. Its on their website saying its from there.

On Ebay you can sometimes get Ladies Levi sta pres trousers.

15. Man-of-Mystery

exactly, i dont get this notion that some mythical "skinhead fashion police" will ticket you for not having 1969-approved garb on 24/7 [​IMG]

You're nicked, sunshine!