Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Distinguished Member

'Class of 69'?

Some of us - me for one.

I guess so, one or two. That is, before the total rush of everyone's kid brother.

What about `67 and `68?[​IMG]

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Distinguished Member

When you say come in cold? not sure what you mean, The fashion just evolved, It was all around you, You would just go out and buy the kit without thinking,

We did not wake up one morning and say i am gonna be a Skinhead, Like the 79/80s Skinheads did.

It was just the fashion of the day, Regarding the Aggro it was not much different to the Mods & Rockers fighting, But with us.. it was taken a bit further on a more massive scale, Regarding the Music, reggae was just part of what we was listening too at the time, Motown. and the Pop of the day was just as popular.
    If you talk to Original Skinheads today reggae will hardly get a mention.

3. browniecj

browniecj Distinguished Member

On the Sheepskin Posts,what has been said about Market Sheepskins is right,but,in saying that there were some good ones as well.I used to have a Knee length that passed the acid test(my Mates liked it).[​IMG]

4. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior Member

Grand-dad boots. Old geezers back then could sometimes be seen wearing fairly tall lace-up boots with suits, hence the name - a throwback to working class dress in the first half of the 20c. Some guys in the late 60s went to classy bootmakers and got boots made up to order.

Classic style. Brideshead mentioned that the thirties style was a strong influence and I think it was Lasttye who reminded people of the fact that many items worn by early Skins had actually been around for a long time and parents at the time thought they were 'looking like little old men'....

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

Hey, it was only a suggestion! [​IMG]

6. Man-of-Mystery

The fashion just evolved, It was all around you, You would just go out and buy the kit without thinking. We did not wake up one morning and say i am gonna be a Skinhead, Like the 79/80s Skinheads did. It was just the fashion of the day.

Pretty much spot-on, I'd say.

7. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior Member

Regarding the Aggro it was not much different to the Mods & Rockers fighting, But with us.. it was taken a bit further on a more massive scale.
    It's not soley Mods vs Rockers, there was definately Mod vs Mod action as gang activity was already strong as this mod from the Archway Mob reminiscence: http://www.themodgeneration.co.uk/2010/03/once-mod.html

8. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

From Twisted Wheel:
    [​IMG]

Both girls are cute as hell. I'm especially fond of the one on the bottom pics, even though her hair's a bit funny in the first one. Looks like your hair went in reverse for the times, the buzz/crop is definitely the best look though.
    It's remarkably quick how something takes off. In the part of Scotland where I now live* the term "Ned" has always been considered a contraction of "Ne'er-do-well", and the "non-educated-delinquents" thing tagged on later - after all, we would say "uneducated" not "non-educated".

*I know, I know - Northern England, South East London, Scotland... where's this flash [email protected]@rd going to claim to be from next?

Hey MoM, what part of Scotland are you living? I may have visited your town when I was there!

9. Man-of-Mystery

Hey MoM, what part of Scotland are you living? I may have visited your town when I was there!

I'm in Perth.

10. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

I'm in Perth.

Ah, I did pass through there! Lovely place really, but then again, so was everywhere else in Scotland...[​IMG]

11. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior Member

Some great posts over the last few days. Business has got in the way of contributing in any meaningful way but I am keeping in touch.

Arm bands - yes, we did that. It was partly about keeping the sleeves at just the right length but also about that 'old man' concept mentioned above. I think it was a vote against some of the more outre fashions of the day. We were solid and traditional - with a twist!

Solatios Bunty! I had a brown pair very much like those and later , in 1970 when the writing was already on the wall for them, I had a black pair with a woven apron.

Sheepies - I couldn't afford a good one either so went without too....My GF had a knee- length one the envy of all her friends and me too!

Partings - In 1968 I didn't have one but by 1969 mine was 'cut-in'.

That's all for now.

12. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior Member

Classic style. Brideshead mentioned that the thirties style was a strong influence and I think it was Lasttye who reminded people of the fact that many items worn by early Skins had actually been around for a long time and parents at the time thought they were 'looking like little old men'....

Spot on mate. My dad in the little pic I posted was 30 years older than me but his clothes were more 'modern'!!

13. Clyde

Clyde Senior Member

Keep the pictures coming. It's great to see the style evolve. I'm surprised colour photography wasn't more popular though.

14. bunty

bunty Senior Member

Keep the pictures coming. It's great to see the style evolve. I'm surprised colour photography wasn't more popular though.

It was too expensive to get developed! Cameras only came out for holidays in our house, even then the film was usually b&w which was dear enough. I think the Spirit of '68 (ha!) folks will back me up on this, that's why there's not many photos about from this period. [​IMG]

15. Man-of-Mystery

It was too expensive to get developed! Cameras only came out for holidays in our house, even then the film was usually b&w which was dear enough. I think the Spirit of '68 (ha!) folks will back me up on this, that's why there's not many photos about from this period. [​IMG]

Precisely.