• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Funny thing is the Dark Sheepskins were as popular as the long light coloured ones were,where we were.

These variations are interesting. In SE London we wore light-coloured ones almost exclusively.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
How are their[FP] button down shirts? For some reason I choose to stay away from FP button down shirts and only wear their polo shirts while I also refuse to wear Ben Sherman polos and prefer their button down shirts.
Do you happen to have any experience with Joseph A Bank BD shirts?

I think they do good buttondowns, better than most recent ben shermans. esp the newer cloth they're using on the ones I picked up for spring is a step up in quality over their previous normal cottons. it's a nice weight oxford, in great checks, really bright colors but mixed well so def not boring.

never been into a JAB store...I know for sure there is nothing in there that would fit me correctly

harrysgame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ikouja
I was wondering if anyone had any special tricks to make BD collar, roll really nice after it's flattened a little. Every now and then I have to iron the collar, say if it gets wrinkly in the wash.
biggrin.gif

The trick it to unbutton the collar. Iron it flat with the collar up. Then button it back up. Not ironing the crease back in when folding the collar over. Of course using a starch spray too.

harrysgame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ikouja
MoM, were dark brown sheepskins commonplace, or even acceptable in the original days? I've been planning on getting one for the next coming winter because they don't look as feminine as the tan/white ones. I recently found this one on ebay (sadly, not my size, but the ideal look)
dsp_100_2335.jpg

dsp_100_2339.jpg

I have one in that colour that i wear. I also have another in the same colour for sale in size large if you are interested PM me. Although the collar on the one pictured looks huge.

Ikouja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrysgame
The trick it to unbutton the collar. Iron it flat with the collar up. Then button it back up. Not ironing the crease back in when folding the collar over. Of course using a starch spray too.

Thanks for the tip man, I'm definitely going to try this!

Alex Roest

Reaction score
I've always liked these pics, from some Spanish newspaper article IIRC, pretty staged of course but nevertheless:

i249831318_11229_2.jpg

i249837749_31644_2.jpg

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Oh, I can imagine at least some form of criticism as for the above posted photos from the originals and in fact I'd welcome such a thing in order to get a healthy discussion going...

bunty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
Bunty - great pics as usual. Do you / does your brother know what shoes they are in the pic with the suit and Ford Anglia? Are they the long lost Solatio I wonder?
Hello Brideshead, have just had a 3 hour conservation with big bruv about the clothing in that photo and this thread generally (good old John Smith's) trying to get the ol' bugger on here, he'd enjoy it - but he's totally hopeless with computers. I'll relay on all the information for us folks that weren't there who might be interested, other Originals might want to go and put the kettle on at this point. Spot on again mate, they are the elusive Solatio in brown, made of very soft leather and compared with other shoes, quite a bit more expensive. (Finished apprenticeship and went mental with his new found wealth!) The suit is brown mohair, made by a tailor in Walthamstow, can't remember his name though, and is three piece. Didn't favour side vents at all, not the look round here (was that fashion or preference?) back vent 12" and waistcoat was very high buttoning, with small collars, so you could see it under the jacket. Lining was same colour as suit as was waistcoat. Tie, as all the ones he favoured then, were striped. Here's something I've never heard - and he swears he's not pulling my leg : sleeve clips were worn! Was that common? Said it looked really good when worn with waistcoat. Hmmm.. Raincoats/macs, old men for the use of, purchased from Dunn and Co type shops, from about late '67. Buttons went right up to the top, like a trench coat, collars stood up. Blue or white popular locally. As for crombies, never knew anybody with a proper one, a mate had a camel hair coat with velvet collar that he wore on the shoulders like Boycie, was a bit of a boy, so could handle the stick. Braces - one night in the Tottenham Royal, a bouncer asked him to either take off his braces or put his jacket back on to hide them! When wearing a cardy, braces were worn closer together at the front so they were visible. (Except in the Royal by the sounds of it) As for the great sheepskin debate, I have his original one here, been in the loft so filthy dirty. Only saw this colour locally though. Hope that's of interest, glad you liked photos.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
they are the elusive Solatio in brown, made of very soft leather and compared with other shoes, quite a bit more expensive. The suit is brown mohair, made by a tailor in Walthamstow and is three piece. Didn't favour side vents at all, not the look round here (was that fashion or preference?) back vent 12" and waistcoat was very high buttoning, with small collars, so you could see it under the jacket. Lining was same colour as suit as was waistcoat. Tie, as all the ones he favoured then, were striped. Here's something I've never heard - and he swears he's not pulling my leg : sleeve clips were worn!
Raincoats/macs, old men for the use of, purchased from Dunn and Co type shops, from about late '67. Buttons went right up to the top, like a trench coat, collars stood up. Blue or white popular locally. As for crombies, never knew anybody with a proper one, a mate had a camel hair coat with velvet collar that he wore on the shoulders like Boycie, was a bit of a boy, so could handle the stick.
When wearing a cardy, braces were worn closer together at the front so they were visible.

Fascinating stuff bunty!

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post Bunty, Your Brothers recollections are spot on, We would often get in the Tottenham Royal, As i have said on here and UK Skinheads, Their was a strict dress code at the Royal, and it would attract the smartest Boy and Girl Skinheads from all over London North of the River. At one time they started to ban Skinheads wearing blakys on their Brogues.
Yes 12in centre and longer vents on suit jackets, Tie was always worn with suits, Striped and Narrow. The storey about your Brother being told to cover his braces.. is correct, The bouncers would turn you away from the door..if you did not have the correct dress code, Boots, Jeans, Braces was a No No.
I would get all over London to Skinheads Discos, The Tottenham Royal was the Mecca for smart Skinheads. Never any trouble in there, However many a Skinhead would often come unstuck outside on the way home to Seven Sisters Station, But thats another storey.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Alex, never seen those 2 pics before, thanks for sharing!

Bunty, great story, really adds a lot to the overall conversation. Interesting that his sheepskin was double breasted, dont see many of those worn as "skinhead clobber"

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Alex, never seen those 2 pics before, thanks for sharing! Bunty, great story, really adds a lot to the overall conversation. Interesting that his sheepskin was double breasted, dont see many of those worn as "skinhead clobber"
Never saw a Skinhead in the 60s wearing a double breasted Sheepskin, Not being funny but the sheepskin in the photo looks like a old woman's Coat.

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Saw this picture from a spanish friend for his promotion of his weekender:
o89z69.jpg
His last flyer also had some photo's I have not seen before:
14tt1cj.jpg
2gy5153.jpg
And this one might be old, been featured on trimfit site, http://www.trimfituk.co.uk/ , but I have never seen the complete picture before.
2eow2ty.jpg

Ikouja

Reaction score
I've been wondering why in a lot of these old photos, the guys part their hair almost in the middle of their foreheads. Maybe I'm just weird, but my hair parts at the corner of my forehead.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Oh, I can imagine at least some form of criticism as for the above posted photos from the originals and in fact I'd welcome such a thing in order to get a healthy discussion going...

Yes they look a little staged, but at least they seem to be from 'the era'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads