1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. benj84

benj84 Senior member

no, with hers the lining wasn't attached at the bottom. I cut that shorter and rehemmed that too but the other thing which may be a problem is it's got one of those v cuts at the back (don't know the technical term).if you shortern it too much, it may look odd. But I'm not a tailor, just a hobby.but it can be done no problem

2. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Oh yeah, you mean the centre vent - like most crombies, it's got one. I didn't consider that at all...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the lining wasn't attached at the bottom?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. Inks

Inks Senior member

I had my Melka raincoat taken in, taken up at the hem and had the sleeves shortened by 3" (it was bloody enormous to start with). My alterations fella did a cracking job for about £30. Then again, it was only a gabardine mac with open lining at the bottom. I don't know how much more difficult a heavy wool coat would be to do. I think a good enough tailor would be able to raise the hem and sort the lining no bother. The price to do it is another matter.

1 person likes this.
  4. benj84

benj84 Senior member

[​IMG]. The lining at the bottom was not stitched to the wool coat(so you can stick your hand up between the lining and wool. I wasn't certain what you meant about fucking up the lining

1 person likes this.
  5. benj84

benj84 Senior member

actually just what inks said "open lining"

6. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I got a Crombie off eBay years ago and took it to my tailor. Shortened the hem by aboout 2-3" and sleeves by about ½". This is a piece of p!ss for a good tailor.

2 people like this.
  7. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I too have had this done multiple times on different types of jackets with no issues whatsoever.

1 person likes this.
  8. AngryYoungPoor

I don't remember seeing this one on here before, my apologies if it's been posted.

[​IMG]

9. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah we've had that one, D. Some time ago though. I think it sparked a discussion on the virtues of wearing braces over knitwear and whether or not it was whack. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. covskin

covskin Senior member

No problem hemming a coat with lining and vents. Not like hemming trousers, the bottom stitching is undone, refolded then resewn *to the lining* with all the surplus fabric now hidden folded up inside the lining. A £20 or £30 job. Just needs a sewing machine that can cope with the thicknesses sewn.

2 people like this.
  11. Inks

Inks Senior member

Robert Vaughn has passed away. Napoleon Solo was always a very well turned out fella. Loved his style in The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

2 people like this.
  12. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Yep - of all originals captured in photos, the guy first left definitely gets the wooden spoon for more reasons than one.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Sorry for not making myself clear mate. For some reason, I imagined that the inner lining might pose a major obstacle to the whole operation.

Cheers everyone - looks like I've nothing to be worried about.

14. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

I guess you approve of the flares and braces over turtleneck then bela.

The leather trucker is interesting, guessing its a levis trucker judging from the other pics of the coventry lads.

15. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

What's wrong with that? My favourite look. No idea why people laugh at me.

16. AngryYoungPoor

S

Should have known haha. I do remember the braces over knitwear discussion.

17. Donkey Jacket

Its mine too, after a nice pair of skinners jeans.

braces over pullover has been spotted in the 1969 man alive doc too, not the most interesting subject, mind.

I got used to the loake royals pretty fast, there is still a bloodstain inside one of them from breaking them in but i find the comfortable enough now, i saw some brown grain leather royals with the danite or however you spell it soles, unfortunately i cant find them now.

I think i like them with leather soles with blakeys, especially the sound when yer walking.

2 people like this.
  18. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

That's a label I haven't heard of for many years Melka.
    A bit like Sangan from Jersey they had a reputation for quality in the 80s, then slipped off the radar

19. Inks

Inks Senior member

I picked that coat up from Savvy Row about ten years back. An original deadstock/NOS 60s number. Really good Swedish-made quality. I recently purchased another Melka 60s belted raincoat for next to nowt. It's a 56 long, and I'm a 42 short. I've yet to take it to my alteration fella to work his magic on it.

20. Donkey Jacket

Cant remember this one being posted here, but still a good pic. Baggier sta-prest(unless they are actually something different) monkey jacket too.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.