1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Inks

Inks Senior member

That's a shame about the 874s, they look pretty tidy. Pity they're a bit too utilitarian and have a perma-crease. I picked up a pair of 60s deadstock/NOS ice-blue Haggar Forever-Prest strides a while back with a perfect rise. Problem is they need taking in about an inch width on the legs. They've been in storage so long that there is fading right on the crease. I doubt my alterations chap could sort it. I could dye them, but that defeats the purpose of buying them. (I badly want a pair of decent ice-blue Prest trouies)

1 person likes this.
  2. covskin

covskin Senior member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Inks

Inks Senior member

Yeti Lobsters really hate N2B jackets

2 people like this.
  4. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ wow, that actually existed lol. Looks like something by 'Lord Anthony'. Arctic skinheads might get a pass for it though

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. SoCalBoy

SoCalBoy Active Member

I used to wear Dickies work pants as an American alternative to sta-prest. They looked smart hemmed to show off your boots or a hint of sock with brogues or smooths. Downside to them is the huge belt loops they have, and their inability to hold a crease, they are work pants through and through. I can't wear them anymore after I got my hands on proper sta-prest style trousers.

I think they have their place if one wishes to go to a gig in someone's backyard but doesn't want to wear jeans or ruin their sta-prest, because if they are one thing, they are durable. Very popular with skinheads throughout California as mentioned before by GetSmart.

6. SoCalBoy

SoCalBoy Active Member

874 Original Fit Dickies definitely have a higher rise and feel a little more snug fitting because of it. 873s are slightly tapered but the rise is a little too low for my taste. Above all, one should just wear whatever is comfortable and looks good on them.

7. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Which do you prefer?

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Difficult to say after almost half a century. I have the impression that the original Levis SPs were more comfortable and a better fit, but this may have something to do with the fact that I have thickened out a bit and getting strides to fit now means getting myself to fit the strides! :D

2 people like this.
  9. LeviStubbsTears

LeviStubbsTears Active Member

10. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Tom Mc666 is blushing somewhere! ^^^^

Back on topic. Does anyone have any experience with Loake's "Sovereign" brogues? They are the same as their "Royals" except that there is a discrete Dainite sole. Just walked vigorously the two miles home to South Boston from Park Street T station and I have to say they're comfy as f&$k. What I like is that they give the impression(and sound) of a double leather sole while having the grip of the rubber one. Genius.

4 people like this.
  11. northernsean

northernsean Member

I must admit i haven't came across the Loakes' brogue with a different sole as you mention , i have a pair of Royals with the leather sole , quarter -tipped and they're not the most comfortable shoe to walk any distance in ! I'm intrigued to see whether they are available in the UK .

12. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I actually got them from a UK dealer. Taking advantage of the dollar-to-pound and a 20% off discount voucher, even with shipping it was cheaper than getting them from a US shop or site.
    It looks like RRP is about £160 in the UK.
    I have a maybe 5-year-old pair of Loake Royals with the leather sole, and the Sovereigns look identical but for the sole. Under close scrutiny you can tell a very slight difference, but when worn they look indistinguishable from Royals.

1 person likes this.
  13. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Hoggs of Fife have a rebadged Loake longwing in scotchgrain with a dainite sole. They are far more comfortable than Loake Royals and - unlike the Royals - the laces do not keep coming undone.

2 people like this.
  14. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I have a pair of the Alfred Sargent Stepney brogues in scotch grain with the dainite sole and out of the box they were undoubtedly more comfortable than the Loake Royals. However, that being said, the Loake smooth leather Sovereigns had very close to as comfortable a ride as the AS Stepneys on first wear.
    Laces stayed tied, too. [​IMG]
    I wonder if scotch grain leather is typically just more comfortable and pliable than smooth leather.

15. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Royals have stiff, corrected grain leather. Calf may be more comfortable, but would cost more. Also the weight of the Royals in a leather sole is a lot more than the Dainite version.

2 people like this.
  16. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Cross-Post from The Look Goes On:

SF Meet-up 18 November UPDATE

Morning Gents

As far as I know, there are only four of us that are definite for next week's planned bash.

Given the low numbers, the fact that our preferred pub is shut (as far as I know) and as I now have a tentative business meeting next Friday, I suggest we postpone it. We could try for something to coincide with the January sales instead?

It's a shame but maybe it was too soon after July...

17. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Wondering if anyone had their coat shortened at the bottom hem & if that's an advisable operation?

I've been eyeing up this crombie style overcoat, but it seems that it's slightly longer than knee length on the average person. Now, since I'm tall there's a chance that it will turn out just right - otherwise I'd rather have it altered to just above knee length. Can this be done easily and not too expensively?

18. benj84

benj84 Senior member

2 people like this.
  19. benj84

benj84 Senior member

p.s messed up a bit putting my answer in the middle of your sentence.sorry

20. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Wouldn't that completely fuck up the lining, though?