• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Gsvs5

Reaction score
McDermott,all those Photos are brilliant.I hope the Guy does come on-interesting to get to to know about him.

He even had a patterned Shirt like mine(the Blue One).Bloody Cheek......
biggrin.gif
Yeah ,you and the rest of the country! This was when things were changing and some of the more questionable shirts were getting worn,late '71-72 if I recall.I had a brown one similar,but am glad to forget about it.
Welcome to the Forum Chris and look forward to hearing more of your memories.That mother load of photos came along as a much needed boost IMO and cover quite a few years.

BTW That Deco house in the back is a rare beauty;)

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
smile.gif
marked as Manchester '74

Soulcharger

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum,Chris.Good to have you here.Interesting story about the Photos..:)Which part of Surrey were you living ????

Hi, well we lived in Walton, Hersham, Moseley, Shepperton, Addlestone, New Haw, Woking, all in that area.

Soulcharger

Reaction score
Yeah ,you and the rest of the country! This was when things were changing and some of the more questionable shirts were getting worn,late '71-72 if I recall.I had a brown one similar,but am glad to forget about it. Welcome to the Forum Chris and look forward to hearing more of your memories.That mother load of photos came along as a much needed boost IMO and cover quite a few years.

BTW That Deco house in the back is a rare beauty;)
The checked shirts came from the Ivy shop, it was 1971, I could drive from December 1970 on wards these taken in September 1971. BTW that art deco hous is still there, it's now a doctors surgery.
biggrin.gif

Soulcharger

Reaction score
McDermott,all those Photos are brilliant.I hope the Guy does come on-interesting to get to to know about him. He even had a patterned Shirt like mine(the Blue One).Bloody Cheek......
biggrin.gif
I have some photos of a couple of girls wearing all the gear must see if I can find them.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... Croydon Top Rank, Tottenham Royal, Purley Orchid ...

We might have walked right past each other at the Top Rank or the Orchid, though I didn't get to either more than a couple of times!

...the Ivy shop in Richmond...

Shopped there once of twice - I seem to remember my g/f of the time fancied a walk round Richmond Park.

Welcome Chis.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Great pics, fellas.

Loved the description of ...'we were going for a fight' - priceless. :D

What is even more interesting and entertaining of course, was that it happened - up here, too - in the day when no one had mobiles, yet, punch-ups would be organised and a failure to attend would lead to a severe loss of face - if not literally then definitely metaphorically. :satisfied:

Brilliant stuff.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, well we lived in Walton, Hersham, Moseley, Shepperton, Addlestone, New Haw, Woking, all in that area.

I thought I recognised the Area.Some were old adversaries to us-at some point-,in the 60s(I lived in Guildford) and I can remember some of the rows we had.then....:).

You mentioned the Alphabet Club(I remembered somebody saying about that Club in Soul Source-Chris L).I read about the visits and agreed with what had been put.By `70 the Jamaican Clubs were becoming less welcoming.I stopped going to them in `69 because of this.I never went to the Que Club in Paddington nor the Four Aces in Dalston because they both had a very bad reputation.

Purley Orchid and The Cats Whiskers,Streatham-plus The Hammersmith Palais.

Interesting to see the Girls wearing the Gear.

Soulcharger

Reaction score
I thought I recognised the Area.Some were old adversaries to us-at some point-,in the 60s(I lived in Guildford) and I can remember some of the rows we had.then....
smile.gif
I dated a girl in Guildford and we went to the Guildford Plaza, think it may have been also called The A Train.

Inks

Reaction score
Bronco Bullfrog has been posted up in its entirety on youtube again.

roytonboy

Reaction score
The black and white photos you see with just the 1 girl were taken in the winter of 1969 on a Saturday morning (on our way for a fight!). The camera belonged to the girl in the picture, she took them and they remained in a box in her garage until about 3 weeks ago.

Chris

Welcome Chris,

At this time, would you have described yourselves as 'skinheads'?

Soulcharger

Reaction score
That's right,the "A"Train Discotheque at the Plaza, on a Sunday Night.

Her name was Jan Kemp, she lived on the Belfields estate, had a mate called Pam. To my eternal shame I still have about 2 or 3 records of her I borrowed but never returned. Love to track her down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads