1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

MA-1s are back in fashion for a few years and the contemporary versions, to follow the trend, tend to be much more slim fit and lightly padded than the older versions. I recently bought the last Uniqlo version, from the 'U' collection (not the standard really flimsy Uniqlo one), as i really liked the look, color, material and fit. It's not too slim fit, still has some padding, it's really weather appropriate for fall/winter, and it was cheap. Now it's a modern take on the MA-1, so if you look for a jacket that has the same detailing than the standard USAF flight jacket, it's not this one.

[​IMG]
    Here worn with a Brutus OCBD, a Lee 101z, and Steed DMs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  2. benj84

benj84 Senior member

[​IMG] DJ, this the union tag botolph was talking about (from my Lee storm rider denim jacket). With regards to the ma-1, I would rather have the original and give it a machine wash to deflate the padding if I wanted it to be slim fit.

1 person likes this.
  3. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Now, what is an 'original' (or 'authentic') MA-1 ? this is a complicated question (and i have no intention to launch a debate on a subject that has already been debated at length on this thread). But certainly not a contemporary Alpha anyway. Remember there have been a lot of diverse USAF contractors throughout the years. So if you want an 'original' one, better go to ebay and buy one from the 60s. If you want a good repro, then be ready to spend a lot of money on a Real McCoy or a Buzz Rickson.

4. benj84

benj84 Senior member

Yeah I know what you mean, there were other contractors that made good jackets. sportsmaster made a nice one. I won't go on about it if it's already been discussed.

5. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

I've already got an original one - as Clouseau knows, mine is a 1961 USAF MA-1, which is as real as it gets. However, I still fancy a slimmer fitting version, too. Don't want to spend more than, say, 100-130 quid.

I'm under the impression that the MA1-TT is meant to be more of a summer jacket, while the American MA-1 is a slimmer cut, but still well padded for the winter months. I might be wrong.

A mate recently wore the MA1-TT, and I was fairly impressed with how good it looked. Just asked him again, and he says he's actually been very happy with the quality and utility. Still ok to wear now, he says, but probably not when it gets colder next month...

So I'm thinking the American MA-1 Slim Fit. Trouble is, there's no way of trying it on, as UK shops don't store it. If anyone's ever had one, I'd be grateful for their comments.

6. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

The jacket looks really good on you mate, but yeah, I'm looking for the standard USAF detailing.

7. benj84

benj84 Senior member

fair enough, bet that 1961 jacket is nice, http://www.bennevisclothing.com/epa...roducts/"Alpha MA1 VF59 Bomber Jacket. Green" don't know if this is the one

1 person likes this.
  8. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

Yes, i'm definately thinking my jacket is 1980 onwards, it has more modern tags too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont think its always a realistic option getting vintage items sometimes, especially if you are on a budget.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Hmmmmmmmmm.... interesting.

I think this is yet another model. A different website describes it as follows:

"The MA-1 VF 59 range is a tailored less bulky version of the core MA-1 Alpha flight jacket. VF Stands for Vintage Fit and creates a smart appearance when worn. The MA-1 VF-59 design goes back to the mid-1950s".

Now, if this one's warm, decent quality, and reasonably slim fitting, it might be just what I'm looking for... Fortunately, the Ben Nevis shop is a 45 mins bus ride from where I am.

10. benj84

benj84 Senior member

11. benj84

benj84 Senior member

decent Harringtons there too

12. Donkey Jacket

True thinking about in that way about vintage, but as they say sometimes, time is money. i don't have the time to go to sheffield a lot of the time these days.

13. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah they're well nigh identical.
    FYI I hope my remark about the union tag in the pocket didn't come off as sort of "looking down the nose" about non-vintage/non-original item. Personally my favorite jean jacket is my early '90s Levi "small e" with *gasp* hand pockets.[​IMG]
    Wheb it comes to clothes, if it looks good on and it's comfortable, do it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

As far as the talk on MA-1's, last year I upgraded to a Real McCoy's early '60s one in sage with the same color interior. The great thing about these, which is also true for the original model, is that 1. It's not as puffy as your typical Alpha, it's sort of a bit more slim-fitting(but by no means SLIM or SKINNY). And 2.the wool interlining(instead of polyester fill), is unbelievably warm and retains its shape around the chest and shoulders as opposed to it sagging down giving you the extra beergut effect. In the New England winters, it's just the ticket.
    I love mine. I had an early '60s model with said wool lining which I sold to a buddy and the shape held up very well.

15. Donkey Jacket

Not at all mate, found it informative more then anything, from what i gather there seems not to be as much info on wranglers , maybe because it wasn't really a ''london'' thing to wear then, and is seen as more northern in a way.

1 person likes this.
  16. Donkey Jacket

Here i am in my wrangler kit, yeah not the smartest look compared to the crombie and sta prest, but i like it.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. benj84

benj84 Senior member

looks good pal, put one of those 1960s-70s filter effects on it with your phone and will look like the real deal!

1 person likes this.
  18. Donkey Jacket

Like this? i had to do it on my computer lol my phone is proper old
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

There's a massive thread on MA-1s here but I haven't really looked at it, I only come to this side for this thread and the 'The Look Goes On' thread.

As Clouseau says, I've seen several references that MA-1s or 'bomber jackets' are back 'in fashion' this season but I don't really pay attention to that as classic items are either good or crap and some knacker in London, Paris or New York making some spurious announcement isn't gonna change that!

I got a black MA-1 about twenty years ago for a brief ski trip. I knew I wouldn't be a frequent skier so didn't want to spend loads on a jacket that I would only wear a few days each year. It was a knock-off from a long since defunct army surplus - second hand Flip type shop here in America. It didn't work out that well as it was the balloon fit without a lot of insulation padding and it rode up at the back. I kept it anyway but like my denim jacket it doesn't get much use these days in favour of a Harrington or monkey jacket.

In more recent ski trips I got a CWU-45P which is the current USAF issue for pilots. It has a turn down collar and more secure flapped patch pockets. I think the CW stands for 'cold weather' as its slim fitting but heavily padded. It's also a bit shorter but I got high waisted ski strides so there's no gap. I also brutalized it by plastering an RAF roundel on the chest, St George and union flags on the sleeve and a large Union flag on the back so mates can recognize me on the slopes from a distance but that makes it more or less unwearable in day to day use.

Someone told me once that 'proper' MA-1s had Nomex flame proof liners so even the ones that claim to be military issue like Alpha are made for the civilian market as they just have nylon linings which is obviously much cheaper.

2 people like this.
  20. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Well, more than a reference in magazines, it is what i can see in the streets of Paris or London for a few years (can't speak of N Y, i only went there in 1990) i think i have already spoke about that on this thread two or three years ago ! Now the good thing is that you can wear a MA-1 these days and stay unnoticed, while until five years ago the guys you could spot wearing one were either bouncers, cops, or boneheads...
    If i remember well (but i could be wrong), the USAF changed the MA-1 for the CWU because the CWU was the first flight jacket to have a Nomex ' treatment' or fabric. Now Nomex makes MA-1s too i think.

1 person likes this.