1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Matter of taste. They look kosher 'Three fingers' collar to me.
    If this guy takes a big breath his trousers will explode !

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

they might look it but there not, i bought one some months ago and was disappointed it wasnt, they do however do a plain white 3 finger but its not oxford cloth.

i managed to get a 3 finger plain white ben sherman for 2 quid, but it seems to be far too big on the body even though its only a 49 and im a 38, i might try and shrink it with boiling water.

3. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I purchased a Brutus on sale a few years ago and the collar was fine but the shirt was so tapered that my love handles made it unwearable. I wonder if they shrunk their collars down to appease the menswear set and broaden their market?

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Quote : Donkey Jacket : they might look it but there not, i bought one some months ago and was disappointed it wasnt, they do however do a plain white 3 finger but its not oxford cloth....

That's interesting. I've got standard Brutus shirts and i like the collar, good size and nice roll. I intended to buy one of their OCBD, but i won't if the collar is smaller...

5. Donkey Jacket

I think they are regular fit rather than trim fit too, i think they are just a new range for people who want a more modern stylre.

6. covskin

covskin Senior member

Doubt that will work. Over time Ben Shermans were sometimes cut very billowy at the waist, a more 'American' fit as someone told me, but it is a matter of construction (pleats and darts) so a bit of shrinkage will make no difference.

7. Donkey Jacket

Heh its in the dryer now, another problem is that it has really baggy/wide arms, im not actually sure how old the shirt is, it just has the original tag inside and Ben Sherman sewed on the pocket and no tag.

8. Donkey Jacket

Its a separate range, trimfits with 3 finger collars are still available.

And yeah they can be pretty tight, though my fry up/chip shop belly does not help.

1 person likes this.
  9. AngryYoungPoor

I worked for Ben Sherman for about 8 years and they changed the cuts of their shirts every season. Even their "Heritage" collection, which was supposed to stay consistent, would turn up with different collar sizes, different cuts and details. It would drive our customer base crazy haha.
    To add to the confusion, Ben Sherman licensed their name to different manufacturing companies in Asia and Australia which would come out with some of the wackiest items (think Robert Graham) and did not fit into "The Look" at all. Tourists from those areas would come into the store and be absolutely confused!
    I guess my point is that from 1990 on there is no consistency in any way.

1 person likes this.
  10. Donkey Jacket

Here is the shirt in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be honest, at the price i paid for it, im not unhappy at all. And it is nice to have a shirt what is a bit more roomy, even if all the details are not correct.

2 people like this.
  11. AngryYoungPoor

It's definitely one of the nicer examples. I think you did well! There was a period in the early 2000s where they were offering an "OCBD" made out if stretch fabric. Those were definitely dark times haha.

1 person likes this.
  12. covskin

covskin Senior member

Looks alright to me, not the tent-like cut that I imagined. Looks like a size too big maybe, the seam should be closer to the edge of your shoulder, but shirts can be a little billowy and still work, a sort of 'grandad shirt' look. The bloke in the Brutus ad would certainly look a lot better in that sort of silhouette.

3 people like this.
  13. Donkey Jacket

i certainly agree that the bloke in the pic would look better if his shirt was a bit more generous.

It is kind of growing on me to be fair, sometimes i think shirts can be a little bit too tight, and to me it kind of goes well with the bagginess of the 1966 jeans.

14. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Brutus were designed for late 60s pre junk food skinny school boys even the word LOVE HANDLES had not been invented .

2 people like this.
  15. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

He would have been a skinheads's grandad in 69 .. never saw or heard of a skinhead older than early 20s

1 person likes this.
  16. Stingy Brim

Stingy Brim Well-Known Member

17. northernsean

northernsean Member

Oh christ aye , it is ! I need to get myself back to bloody Specsavers :eek:

1 person likes this.
  18. northernsean

northernsean Member

[​IMG]

Newcastle skinheads 1972

1 person likes this.
  19. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Exactly right. We spent most of our childhood running around outside. Usually only one fat boy per classroom. The Brutus shirts were the tightest fitting especially the short sleeves with the sewn in box pleat. My first B'S had the sewn in box pleat but my first stripped B'S had an open box pleat like the American shirts and was less fitted. The American import shirts were more baggy. I think Donkey Jackets shirt is not too big except maybe in the shoulders.

20. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

He looks as if he's lost the will to live.

2 people like this.