1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Inks

Inks Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My cheapo £11 F&F jeans turned up. The selvedge wasn't sewn on to existing fabric to give a 'selvedge effect' either
    The fabric is stiff as a bleedin' board though.
    They're a lot darker than the photos (used a flash)

5 people like this.
  2. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Well, that's a nice surprise, and they don't look half bad either. The cheapest pair of selvedge strides I ever got was a pair of Primark (!) jeans. They made a big hooplah about some collaboration with a Japanese designer, and by the time I showed up to take a look they were already on sale. I got a pair for 8 quid, and in hindsight I should have got all 10 they had left given their surprisingly decent quality.

I was convinced yours were fake selvedge due to the price and description given in another ebay listing ("made to look like selvedge").

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  3. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Don't forget that the Ilford Palais also had a resident band that played cover versions. When they came on the dance floor would empty as we headed for the bar. The song Blueberry Hill comes to mind. Never liked the music the band played. Our mob went there on a Sunday night. Back in 1966 we used to go there on a Saturday afternoon with other 13/14 year olds. Good music without the band.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

I don't really want to get involved in this whole debate, but as an ex-punk I feel the need to defend punks to some degree.

First off, there are different ways to look like a punk. You can look like Johnny Rotten, or you can look like a member of The Exploited - I'd say the difference is as great as between original skins and 'boneheads'. Secondly, 'bald punks' strikes me as a lazy label. What do army fatigues, black MA-1 jackets, combat boots, and other paramilitary attire have to do with punk? Not much in my book.

Thirdly, I'd invite you to come and attend a ska or skinhead reggae event in London. You'll find many of those guys don't look any better than the Oi skins. If not clownishly overdressed in parody 'Spirit of 69' gear complete with pork pie hat, they'll be sporting ill-fitting jeans, sta-not-quite-prest chinos so long they slouch all over their boots, and garish shirts. In fact, there are a couple of smarter, more traditionally dressed people on the Oi! scene.

I love it all: reggae, soul, punk, Oi, hardcore, and more besides. And while I strongly lean towards the original style, I won't deny that punk had a significant impact on me and probably still shapes my understanding of 'skinhead' to a degree (as indeed do my reasons for moving away from punk).

Finally, I'd say that beyond the fashion and music, a certain attitude doesn't go amiss. I don't go round looking for trouble, but sticking up for your friends is paramount. Also, if I bump into skins I've never met, I don't walk past them with my nose up in the air, no matter how poorly they're dressed. I'll say hi and see what they're about, after which I can still decide they're too boneheadish for my liking. As DJ knows, this gets me into tricky situations sometimes, but hey... if i ever catch myself walking past people like I'm better than them, I'll hang up my boots for good.

Maybe that's my inner punk speaking. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Lots of kids I knew in 68/69 you would call 'lower middle class' (maybe) from the suburbs - the kind of middle-class kids that still had a regional/London accent rather than RP.

6. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Hear, hear. I was never a punk, always a skinhead from the age of fifteen-- but I concur with what you're saying. Whether people like it or not, skinhead is a "continuum", and not a several-month fleeting fashion from the end of the '60s. Some enjoy the original look, some like the revival look, some take from both. Nought wrong with going for the original style, and yeah a lot of the 'revival' gear you see some people sporting looks pretty bunk, but so be it. I've met many 'revival' skins with all the gear and no idea about style(who frankly look like circus clowns), but know the matrix numbers off every Treasure Isle, Stax, and Chess single by heart. You must admit, going for a completely authentic '71 look these days can look downright goofy and not 'cool' whatsoever. Personally, like AYP, I delved into the casual/dresser look in the early 2000s, before you had all these American 'soccer' fans dressing in Clone Island, etc. anyways, going off subject here, sorry.

3 people like this.
  7. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

Which Blakeys would you say would be a better option for a pair of brogues, these ones:

[​IMG]

or Blakeys full heel and toe plates.

[​IMG]

8. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

I'd say the top ones. Was thinking about equipping my Loakes with Blakeys myself, but someone warned me it would be a bit like ice skating on concrete.

Found these offered by some Malaysian guy on a skinhead related FB page. A bit of a Frankenstein thing I suppose, but the closest I'd ever wear to an MA-1. Given the price (around 30 quid for a "FP" jacket), I strongly suspect they're fake, but I think I'm in love. What do you guys reckon?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Donkey Jacket

im actually considering the second ones to be honest, i think they would be able to withstand the kind of wear i put footwear through more.

As for the jacket, not my style but it looks better then the reproduction bombers available today.

10. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

And, if you haven't already done so, check out Geno Washington's version on youtube . I was lucky to see the Ram Jam Band live at Chelmsford Corn Exchange about four times[​IMG]

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I have just watched a live version from the Beat Club on youtube - Oh yes that is good - cheers

1 person likes this.
  12. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I wouldn't fit any of those segs to my shoes as has been said , it could be akin to "ice-skating on concrete" . Don't get me wrong there was a time when we all had them on our brogues , it was even like a competition to see who could have the most on there shoes. .

However, times have changed and more importantly , so have the kind of surfaces we now walk on i.e there are now a lot of tyles around that if you wore the kind of set up you mention you would find them lethal . It is bad enough sometimes with new leather soles never mind all the segs. .

Perhaps , a steel heel fitted by a cobbler will give you the longer wear but you would still need to take care on the surfaces I mentioned. .:)

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

Haha, same old story. For people from a council estate background violence is (was?) a given whether you liked it or not but, like you and flyfronted say, dress skinhead and it really does come looking for you. The image of a group of skinheads picking on one person is pretty much the opposite of my experience.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. covskin

covskin Senior member

Too much 80s apologising. On your 'class' point, ex-skinheads might have good careers now but only because they aspired to do better and did so. A lot of working class born aspire upwards and a lot of middle class born head the other way full of 'guilt', bullshit and uselessness.

2 people like this.
  15. covskin

covskin Senior member

Not true, for the UK at least.

1 person likes this.
  16. covskin

covskin Senior member

Haha, the top ones are definitely 'schoolboy'. Think I would aspire to the bottom ones these days, but yes fairly dangerous even back then.

1 person likes this.
  17. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Well, that's one benevolent comment at least. Seems to have gone down like a lead balloon with everyone else, haha.

I still like it.

1 person likes this.
  18. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

First wave of 'Casuals ' were Soul Boys who like our lot had been 'baby skins ' in 69 / 70 ... the Oi / Bonehead / two tone lot did jump on the casual bandwagon a year or so later in 83 ( as with original Mod / Skin a year in Casual was ages ... could always spot em for never getting the 'details right ' and the shit Madness Tatts

Lets be brutally honest anyone over 35 is going to look a bit soppy in boots n braces or a Fila BJ and Trimm Trabbs ..

2 people like this.
  19. Donkey Jacket

Its still true to a certain extent, i live on a council estate and there is still a problem with violence/delinquency, its even worse in a way due to all the drugs around these days.

As for the segs, i will still have them put on lol, i will risk ice skating lol.

1 person likes this.
  20. Inks

Inks Senior member

[​IMG]
    Yep, I'm one for segs.

1 person likes this.