• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The Damsons look good. Back in the late 60s my mob only wore 6/7 eyelet boots. We never went in for that 8 eyelet (or more) look with rolling up the jeans to show the full boot. Our 1/2 inch turn ups came just below the top of the boot. I remember this because when the police took our laces from our boots at Southend on Bank Holiday Monday we were able to run around the Kursaal with the top eyelet tied with a piece of string (nicked out of M & S) and the Police didn't notice.
Funny, as years go by and there were new waves of skinheads, there was a kind of inflation in the boots eyelets... 6,8, 10, even 14 (Horrid) !
The 11 eyelet Hawkins Astronaut was there since the end of the sixties i think.

When i bought my first pair of DMs in 1979-80, for 19,99 quids, Airwair 10 holes was the fad, i bought black ones, but a lot of skins still wore 8 holes boots. At the time you could not buy them abroad, so i had to put a life insurance on them back on Paris streets...
I 've still got an old pair of 6 eyelets Airwair, and wear 1461 often. Treated myself with Cherry red MIE Steeds last time i went to London. Love them.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done.I think the old part of Lincoln is worth a visit-the only problem is,it`s up a steep hill.
smile.gif
Yes, really enjoyed everything about it and a visit to the cathedral on Palm Sunday felt quite special.

Returning to Mod to Suedehead, I was very interested to see the many different interpretations of 1960s style on display at the Ad-Lib Club. Some had clearly decided to recapture the early 60s and others were making a pretty good stab at capturing the skinhead style. I guess it differed from a night out in 1969 because of that, and in that some people wore quite casual gear - white FP, Levis and loafers, for example. A number of Harringtons on display and, thinking of MoM's post-Glasgow report, these were all worn with collars popped up.

Some too had clearly tried to retain / adopt (depending on their respective ages) what they considered a 1960s Attitude! I'll give two or three examples:

I spotted an older guy in a sky blue Harrington and, outside in the smoking area, got the chance of asking him where he found it. He looked me up and down and, after a pause said 'I really don't know'. I laughed out loud!

Next, at the bar, a young guy looking a bit like he stepped off an early Small Faces cover moved aside for me and said 'orright, orright my son' in his best Cockney!

The third incident was a bit odd. I was walking back from the bar with a glass of red wine (should have been a light and bitter really) and a girl stepped back to let me through and her boyfriend said something to me that I didn't catch - then proceeded to grab my bottom!!

A good night out.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Damsons look good. Back in the late 60s my mob only wore 6/7 eyelet boots. We never went in for that 8 eyelet (or more) look with rolling up the jeans to show the full boot. Our 1/2 inch turn ups came just below the top of the boot. I remember this because when the police took our laces from our boots at Southend on Bank Holiday Monday we were able to run around the Kursaal with the top eyelet tied with a piece of string (nicked out of M & S) and the Police didn't notice.
I remember one Bank Holiday Monday at Southend when we had moved on to Royals - except one die-hard who still sported DMs. The cops ignored the Royals but made my mate remove his laces from the DMs. We went straight to Woolworths and bought a new pair of laces that seemed to do the job. On another occasion we alighted at Prittlewell (one stop early) and got a bus to the seafront! We fought the law and the law.....

roytonboy

Reaction score
Yes, really enjoyed everything about it and a visit to the cathedral on Palm Sunday felt quite special.

Returning to Mod to Suedehead, I was very interested to see the many different interpretations of 1960s style on display at the Ad-Lib Club. Some had clearly decided to recapture the early 60s and others were making a pretty good stab at capturing the skinhead style. I guess it differed from a night out in 1969 because of that, and in that some people wore quite casual gear - white FP, Levis and loafers, for example. A number of Harringtons on display and, thinking of MoM's post-Glasgow report, these were all worn with collars popped up.

Some too had clearly tried to retain / adopt (depending on their respective ages) what they considered a 1960s Attitude! I'll give two or three examples:

I spotted an older guy in a sky blue Harrington and, outside in the smoking area, got the chance of asking him where he found it. He looked me up and down and, after a pause said 'I really don't know'. I laughed out loud!

Next, at the bar, a young guy looking a bit like he stepped off an early Small Faces cover moved aside for me and said 'orright, orright my son' in his best Cockney!

The third incident was a bit odd. I was walking back from the bar with a glass of red wine (should have been a light and bitter really) and a girl stepped back to let me through and her boyfriend said something to me that I didn't catch - then proceeded to grab my bottom!!

A good night out.

Thanks for that, Mr. Knightly. I always find it interesting when attending similar types of functions, for similar reasons.

Most recently been to the Plebs 'reunion' in Halifax. The 'Plebs' is a Sixties soul club which closed in 1968 and is run by members from that time. To go I wear a 3 button suit (Yes, I know!!!) out of respect to those blokes who, as old mods, wear suits and ties and have expressed appreciation at my doing so, and also in respect to a couple of our members who I know will be similarly attired. We are the only people there in suits and ties. In fairness to my Girl friend, who is quite a bit younger than me and not of the style, she will also put on a shift dress, light tights and sixties style shoes to give herself an appropriate look. I would never have worn a suit back in 1970/71. The nearest I came was a Blazer and POW trousers and even then only rarely with a tie. A small number of other blokes (2 or 3 only) wear suits and open collared shirts. The majority are split between modern day clothing (lots of polo shirts) and a pseudo - skinhead/suedehead style of checked shirts, jeans and Harringtons. Interesting that even in social circles like this, soul/skinhead style is perceived by most to be the Ben Sherman/Harrington/Levi's look.

A couple of weeks prior to that we went to an all-nighter in Stoke, which is attended by hundreds of people. A Northern Soul do is a real melting pot of styles, indeed a veritable hotch potch, in which anything goes - with people dressed in various interpretations of styles ranging from 1964 - 1977 and many in a combination from different eras within that time frame. It does call into question the validity of the statement about Mod, Skinhead and Northern Soul being the 'Holy Trinity', but you can spot some threads - BD check shirts, leather shoes, Levis, Fred Perry's (polo shirts in general are probably the most common item of clothing). (I've tried to in-bed the youtube link, but unfortunately haven't got a 7 year old here to help me.) A very small number of individuals who we would recognise as having a mod or mod/skinhead/suedehead style, but also a few younger people who don't get it quite right (IMHO!) Again, a large number wear modern clothing as if they are off down to the pub.

My amusing experience was walking down the corridor, we passed two blokes coming in the other direction. Just as we were level, one of them looked at me and said to his mate, "Look, he's not even going to talk to us!". We stopped and I shook their hands saying, "Alright fellas, how's it going?", "Good to see you!" they replied. As we continued on our way Julie asked "Who was that?" and I had to say, "Not got a f*cking clue!!" I've no idea who they thought I was, I haven't been to an allnighter for 12 years! I spent the rest of the night hoping we weren't going to meet again - what would I have said?

Last edited:

moving target

Reaction score
Just received these from the USA today,would have worked out quite a bargain but had to pay an extra £17 for vat and handling charge. I've had to pay import duty before but these other charges are a first for me.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Interesting stuff. I may be wrong but wonder if these dos are more prevalent north of Potters Bar? I'm sure browniecj will correct me if I am wrong. One thing that struck me was just how relaxed it all was at Lincoln. There was never a hint of aggro and in some ways it reminded me of the late 60s at the North Bank, Highbury where skinheads came to pose and check out the latest gear, often standing with their backs to the action on the pitch! And why not? Like you, I spotted many people who were not really into the clothes scene but were there, I assumed for the music. I would say though that a good 60 - 70% made a sort of effort. Some really did look the dog's bollocks too.

flyfronted

Reaction score
Just received these from the USA today,would have worked out quite a bargain but had to pay an extra £17 for vat and handling charge. I've had to pay import duty before but these other charges are a first for me.
lagos cab driver turnout

Inks

Reaction score
Didn't know if there was such a thing as a 'Mod watch'. The whole Mod-Suedehead style is pretty short on accessories/jewellery etc. I suppose the scooters were accessories of sorts. The only watches I remember as a lad were the black-dial military-looking Timex if any.
Anyway, I collect and fart about with watches. I would say I'm an amateur horologist, but I manage to bollox-up more watches I attempt to modify than actually fix. So, here's my Mod-homage watch I knocked up this weekend. (Though it looks more like something a French ultra-nationalist would wear.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads