1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  2. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

Now that you say it I definitely heard of a 'blackburn' haircut back then. Not sure there was any Bowie influence, nobody I knew could be said to be particularly into Bowie. More a Dave Hill from Slade influence I think, and who knows where he got that hairstyle from! Glam rock stuff like Slade or Sweet (or Gary Glitter!) were our thing 1973-75ish.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

I was in the juniors in the early seventies and clearly remember saying my favourite bands were Slade, Sweet and Gary Glitter!

Got to see GG many times in college before ... well you know ... and he was brilliant, some of the best gigs I ever went to.
    Saw Sweet around the same time, well it was Brian Connolly well into his Meths-nudging period and needing a lot of help from the young lads he'd drafted into the band to support his voice which was shot. Never got to see Slade.

I did a piece on Bowie on my blog when he died. For a lot of people my age we were too young to 'get' him when he first hit the big time but even as kids we loved the Ziggy period spikes barnet which was a clear anti-establishment statement years before punk.

1 person likes this.
  4. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

What do you think of this picture ?
    Real action or from a movie ? I wonder, but they look like actors. Nice FP anyway.

[​IMG]

5. The Saint

The Saint Well-Known Member

I think it has been on here a good couple of times before. .

Nice Fred Perry anyway, despite the claret . .

6. covskin

Yesterday I recalled a 'typical skinhead moment':

'they're not so hard when they're on their own are they' - said mockingly to you by someone backed up by six of his mates and some quite astounding sanctimony.

Ring any bells?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    3 people like this.
  7. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

From Brieul.

[​IMG]
    1968 [​IMG]
    1969 [​IMG]

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Sorry I haven't been around for a while - the site is STILL not giving me alerts, despite my having everything ticked/checked.

I remember a publicity shot of the Move back then, with them all wearing gangster-style suits in various colours. I can't find it on the web though.

1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

If it does, there's a dodge, and that is to camouflage it with a turn-up. Back in the day we used to have a slim turn-up, maybe 1", on our Sta--prest. See my now-famous 'sheepskin photo'.

1 person likes this.
  10. Man-of-Mystery

I remember hearing it being referred to in 1970 as a 'centre crop'. But the caveat there is that that was also the name given to the skinhead girls' cut in 1969.

11. Man-of-Mystery

I think the copper on the left is Lord Lucan. NOW at last we know!

12. con man

con man Well-Known Member

Maybe it was just called a bog brush locally, or maybe it's just a name I made up,
    Thinking about it though maybe it was just Called a brush cut, have looked that up, it does come up, but it"s basically a crop.
    I do recall seeing a picture on here, I think, of 2 girls ( skinhead or boot girls ) maybe man Utd fans, seem to remember they have scarves around their wrists,
    One of the girls as blond/ fair hair and its cut in the way I dicsribe, she has also got bleached jeans on.
    This was the 70's and I guess with there being a lot of hair about, girls and boys styles did cross over,
    Think Suzie Quatro had a similar hair cut.
    The only other photos, I have seen, where lads and girls have a similar haircuts to the ones I'm on about are photos of 1970's Austrslian Sharpies.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

14. Paint House Gang

Paint House Gang Well-Known Member

Although I have no idea where, I have definitely seen reference to 'bog brush' haircuts as an early punk thing. That would have been in writing as I was not alive at the time. I think the protagonist in the that John King novel Human Punk has one.

1 person likes this.
  15. Man-of-Mystery

16. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  17. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

My theory is that the media chose to portray skinheads with a caricature image, either through ignorance or deliberately, and skinheads at the time didn't do themselves any favours by playing up to the image when interviewed. Revivalists generally chose to follow the caricature image without realising the creative richness of the originals.
    I blame the media.

18. TomMc666

TomMc666 Well-Known Member

Probably a load of factors, think we've discussed this before. I'd suggest many such as the media caricature approach at that time to any cult - mod had it as well as did two tone. That by 1980 the age of the skinheads had dropped significantly from the first and second wave of revivalists, who had moved onto other things. The facial tatoos, begging and glue sniffing of those in places like Leicester Square and the Kings Road 'represented' skinhead in the publics eye, why I dont know, and was they like this because of their personal circumstances? I'd suggest the impact from the later crossover of those from punk and their personal circumstances, combined with the ongoing militarisation/politicalisation of the look from 1979 onwards with, due to some of their ages, a lack of memory/history of what skinhead was? In 1980 there were still skinheads who looked the part but didnt associate themselves with that look or those individuals
    i may well be told I'm elitist again......

2 people like this.
  19. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Well-Known Member

Well, the style of the lad standing next to the scooter ain't so bad. I don't normally like MA-1 jackets, but he pulls it off well.

20. covskin

Teenagers who can walk into well-paying jobs and be a 'skinhead' for five seconds until they find a pair of flares are not what international subcultures are made of. Then or now.

2 people like this.