• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Always love seeing Women in Suits(this goes back to this time).They were certainly very smart and Feminine.

The other style of Hair was Brushed Back style with side bits(this would be about `70).If you watch "Soulboys,Suedeheads and Skinheads" you will see a couple of Girls with this Style.

I wish I had kept pics of my ex from back then. I could have illustrated a lot of the styles we've talked about. The 'brushed back' look was typical of how girls would have their hair when the cropped/wispy 'centre crop' style grew out. Sometimes they had this between haircuts or when they were due for one rather, but eventually it became a transitional style in 1970, as a lot of girls simply grew their hair.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... uber-bastard-style-icon Doug Neidermeyer. (yes, him again) ,
Say what you like about Niedermeyer, he could look sharp! *shaking head* You know... it says something about us that Doug Niedermeyer's an icon here! :D

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I have a feeling that pointed collars were worn here just before the round collars as well,then after the round collars the long pointed ones were worn again ?.

I was the same with clothes,sort of rotated it down to work wear and then binned it.
Yep, I'd forgotten the timescale those long, pointed collars appeared - well remembered. :satisfied:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can quite definitely say I have always hated cut-away collars. I hate them even more now that David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ed Milliband, Alec Salmond, and Nigel Farage all wear them.
....and our old mate Lino of course

22510LinoCig_0034Web.jpg
As with most things that Clegg and co get wrong, it can be done well.

gabriela

Reaction score

Always love seeing Women in Suits(this goes back to this time).They were certainly very smart and Feminine.

The other style of Hair was Brushed Back style with side bits(this would be about `70).If you watch "Soulboys,Suedeheads and Skinheads" you will see a couple of Girls with this Style.

Do you mean something like this? (Again me and my collages lol)

Pics courtesy of Dave, Bob and Steve.
The girls on the top right picture have (I think) only half of their hair pulled back and tied. If you watch Reggae Britannia there is another girl with a similar hairstyle but her hair is straight and she is a lot younger. She is wearing a sheepskin coat.

gabriela

Reaction score

A lot of Girls(who did not consider themselves Skinhead Girls-though they hung about with Skinheads)had the Bun with strands of hair down the sides.This was some of the older Girls to start with.If I can remember,and this is very vague,I believe some Girls would wear their Buns-inside white or black crochet nets.This would mainly be worn with Jeans.:)

This is my friend Jan and her friends. These pictures have already been shared but just to show the hair. As you can see, they are older than the average back then. They did not wear a bun, they wore it plaited and tucked under but the hair is pulled back and they have strands of hair to the sides. Jan did consider herself a skinhead though, mainly because she had never heard of anything else (I remember when I told her about suedeheads haha!). She was a mod before.

And this is exactly how I wear my hair (girl to the left). Pic from 1970 courtesy of Olly, another original skinhead girl who has some amazing pictures including some of original skinhead girls wearing veeery short hair.

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
I've heard Cut Away collars were worn by the VERY early Mods.

roytonboy

Reaction score
Muscle Shoals on BBC Four (TV) right now, 9pm. Fantastic
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
repeated again Monday night.

Thanks for that Cleav. I recorded it on the Monday and finally got round to watching it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it ('though I must confess that when it got to photos of the later artists, I didn't have a clue who half of them were!)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for that Cleav. I recorded it on the Monday and finally got round to watching it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it ('though I must confess that when it got to photos of the later artists, I didn't have a clue who half of them were!)

Yeah I enjoyed it too.I fluked finding out about it via a Mark Kermode review, he raves about it. Admit to a who is that moment too!!

Inks

Reaction score

An oddity I found for sale. A BD/pilot mix. I saw Keith Moon wearing something similar in the '65 French documentary that Clouseau posted the link to. It's definitely not my cup of tea. Were such shirts, ever worn ? (obviously not in lurid orange, but BDs with epaulettes)

This one just made me angry.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The Who, live in Juvisy, France, march 1966.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads