• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Fabulous pics (Bunty !) and posts by all the Originals and co (aka The firm) in the past few days. So there is still a lot of things to come up i guess. Thanks Browniecj for the historical details on FP and sharkskin suits (etc.), and that's just one example of what' so interesting in this thread for 60s lovers. As usual the recollections of you all are great !

Last edited:

elwood

Reaction score

As Roytonboy knows, I'm friendly with the lad in the Blues & Soul article: he was a good friend of Dave Godin and he pronounces it Go-din.

Thanks, Little Queenie. I think that link to the man himself makes that fairly definitive?

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Elwood, that is a beauty Tootal. Can't say I've seen that one before, great colours too. I'm sure Maine Road or City of Manchester or ? hasn't seen it! I'm going to take a pic or two of mine and share

Just back from 4 days in Thurlestone, Devon with the boys, golfing. (Drinking!) some chat about the old days till the early hours great till the next morning. We had a chat about crombies and harringtons. Don't know what happened to my crombie

Bunty, that looks like a killer suit, v impressive. You'd certainly have got noticed round our parts. :nodding:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bottom pic - I can't make it out on this small screen, are they Riders or Chelsea boots?

I would say they were Chelsea boots.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be involved in a Weekender in Gt.Yarmouth.The "Deep Room" was run by Dave Godin.I never heard Dave being introduced as Dave Go-din-so it must be "different strokes,for different folks".I never spoke to him as he made "Deep Soul" as boring as f*ck.His interpretation of it anyway(he would have a talk about the subject-before the music started.Most People walked out then went back when the music started.:)

Gsvs5

Reaction score

At 3.35 minutes DG is mentioned.

I have spent the past 40 odd yrs mentally pronouncing it God-in ! He 's since passed away,do you think he'll mind if I carry on ? It' like a Mondegreen I can't shake off.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks, Mr. Knightley. I'm very pleased with it. Looking at the design with those stylised horses it might be late 50s/ early 60s.

My humble Tootal collection

Red dot and blue dot get all the wear

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Botolph Thanks. No wool backings there mate. I find em too warm as I like to wear em as a scarf or tucked in like a cravat or ascot.

I sometimes snoop around second hand and antiques shops etc to see if they've got any, sometimes got lucky for a fiver though I've never seen a red or blue dot in one of those places. Got those two on flea bay, £30 ish each I think a few years back.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The old 60s scarves are much smaller all round than the monstrosities worn today. My dear old dad (who took me to be measured for my first MTM suit in 1967) died three years ago yesterday. He also left me two very nice Tootal scarves, one of which I have put up on here. Sam Walker of Covent Garden (now gone I assume) supplied me with two paisley Tootal cravats in the 80s. I shall try to take a picture of them together asap.

Last edited:

Inks

Reaction score

Picked this up on ebay. Made by Pickering, a US brand. It's a 4 front-button, pull-over BD. A sort of BD/Polo shirt hybrid. The placket is about 3/4 of the shirts length, which seems pointless. Were there many pull-over BD shirts early on ? This one seems a bit of an oddity.
I wish it didn't have the Greenwich Country Club CT logo on it.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, cerneabbas. Good to know I hadn't dreamed it. I'll look out for that book. Another one I recall is "Folk Devils and Moral Panics" by Stanley(?) Cohen. I think there's material on skinheads in it. I believe he died recently and didn't he appear in one of those early 70s TV documentaries (was it the one about the Newcastle lads) that's been linked from here to YouTube?

As I said to Mr. Knightley, I'm very pleased with the scarf. Tootal's always a nice link to Manchester for me; reminds of the wonderful old building on Oxford Street (Manchester) tho' the colour of the scarf means I wouldn't wear it to the football
biggrin.gif
elwood,I dug my copy out,I will change a bit dry to very dry,and not as much as I thought about skinheads,well researched though and some very interesting parts.
I know what you mean about colours,I wouldn't wear red until a few years ago and even now it doesnt feel "natural" somehow,old habits I suppose.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My humble Tootal collection

Red dot and blue dot get all the wear

Cleav,A very nice collection,although I admire the paisley and the patterned ones,I would be more likely to wear the dot ones too.
I have usually seen them worn with a Crombie type coat,what do you wear yours with ?
BTW,John Smedley is not that far from you,are/were they popular in your area ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads