• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I was walking round the Chelmsford branch of TK Maxx yesterday noting very little of interest, I was reminded of how good it once was. I was wearing, among other things, a Polo RL chambray shirt, pale lemon Pringle slipover, Dents belt and Calvin Klein knee length socks - all from that shop over the last few years. The best bargain I have scored there was a G9 in 'Loden' for £49.99! Now the men's selection is much reduced with very little of interest - skinhead or otherwise. Turning to Argyle knitwear I recall it becoming fashionable in London during 1971. This from Quincy in Brewer Street. - Oct 71.
That was one I was thinking of,Mr.Knightley,but could not remember who was wearing one and when.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought that was crushed blues! I was in there once when someone shouted "Raid!", and so many pharmaceuticals were dumped that we all walked round crunching for hours. :D

Seriously, when I was there the place was too crammed to see the floor, and no one was looking anyway. I have no recollection of talc.

:D Yes,remember those days well !!!!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was one I was thinking of,Mr.Knightley,but could not remember who was wearing one and when.
While Argyle came back into fashion around then I don't recall Fairisle coming around again until the early 80s when we were all in pursuit of an 'authentic' look.

As we've said Mods favoured both designs at times and this pic of Twiggy is especially lovely I think:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While Argyle came back into fashion around then I don't recall Fairisle coming around again until the early 80s when we were all in pursuit of an 'authentic' look. As we've said Mods favoured both designs at times and this pic of Twiggy is especially lovely I think:
I can see(in my minds eye) it would be about `71.The hair has grown and I can picture Penny Collars-with Cord Jeans and Loafers.It was also the time of "Cable Stitch" Crew Neck Jumpers in various Colours.

Piffy

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the new Baracuta G9 jackets made by WP Lavori in person ?

Even though they're ridiculously expensive, I often contemplate buying one.

Last edited:

Sirryacus

Reaction score
I kept seeing you guys mention T.K. Maxx and it sounded familiar low and behold it is your version of our American chain store T.J. Maxx apparently they used the TK to avoid confusion with TJ Hughes.

Gramps

Reaction score
Yeah TJ Hughes is a bit of a discount mix & match store.

Although they were selling Shrink to Fit Levi 501's Last year with selvedge for £39.00 a pair. In every size too.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody seen the new Baracuta G9 jackets made by WP Lavori in person ?

Even though they're ridiculously expensive, I often contemplate buying one.
Whilst I was looking around for a Harrington recently,I read that the original harringtons were made in the 1930s by Baracuta and also Grenfell,I looked up the Grenfell one they are £300 !, mind you Private White VC do a Harrington style jacket for £375 ! luckily for me I wasn't too keen on them.
I had a look at the Baracuta G9 online,a "Black Watch " plaid one,and a "military" one with chest and arm pockets,hadnt seen them before,some people will like them some will hate them.
I am happy with my Ben Sherman one,so much so I am thinking of getting a navy one,its the first Harrington that I ever had with the vents that are open rather than just sewn detail.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I was walking round the Chelmsford branch of TK Maxx yesterday noting very little of interest, I was reminded of how good it once was. I was wearing, among other things, a Polo RL chambray shirt, pale lemon Pringle slipover, Dents belt and Calvin Klein knee length socks - all from that shop over the last few years. The best bargain I have scored there was a G9 in 'Loden' for £49.99! Now the men's selection is much reduced with very little of interest - skinhead or otherwise.

Turning to Argyle knitwear I recall it becoming fashionable in London during 1971. This from Quincy in Brewer Street. - Oct 71.
I was thinking about Argyle earlier,I had an "Argyle" type pullover in the early 70s it was in black and white, there were other colour variations but only 2 colours red/black blue/grey,I think that they were called diamond jumpers, very cheap,acrylic I expect...also I did buy a Pringle argyle jumper but that must have been mid 80s,I had forgotten both of these jumpers.
You mention your RL chambray shirt,is it a button down ? the reason I ask is that I saw a Lee chambray button down on Debenhams website and I couldnt remember seeing a chambray button down before.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking about Argyle earlier,I had an "Argyle" type pullover in the early 70s it was in black and white, there were other colour variations but only 2 colours red/black blue/grey,I think that they were called diamond jumpers, very cheap,acrylic I expect...also I did buy a Pringle argyle jumper but that must have been mid 80s,I had forgotten both of these jumpers.
You mention your RL chambray shirt,is it a button down ? the reason I ask is that I saw a Lee chambray button down on Debenhams website and I couldnt remember seeing a chambray button down before.

Yes, it is a typical Polo RL BD . The fabric could be called a light denim or chambray (I'm never quite sure of the difference). It is the type of shirt that was once so readily available at TK Maxx but not so much today. Mine is about 6 yrs old now.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kept seeing you guys mention T.K. Maxx and it sounded familiar low and behold it is your version of our American chain store T.J. Maxx apparently they used the TK to avoid confusion with TJ Hughes.

Same idea as TJ Maxx but carry high-end designer stuff like CP Company, etc. still a crapshoot but you can score some gems.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Well it is the same company obviously by what they were saying it was clearly evident it had more high end stuff than our TJ Maxx stores, I've never found anything good seems its all snatched up by frequent visitors or someone working in the store is giving their friends a heads up on the few good items going on the shelves.

catchourbreath

Reaction score
Little off topic, but I noticed today that my MIE Doc Martens have formed this "patch" on the tops of both toes. I've never had this happen before, I thought it was shoe polish that wore off from the winter salt and water. I tried some rubbing alcohol to see if it would smooth out the polish to no avail. Anyone have an idea what exactly happened and how to fix the problem ?

Inks

Reaction score
Little off topic, but I noticed today that my MIE Doc Martens have formed this "patch" on the tops of both toes. I've never had this happen before, I thought it was shoe polish that wore off from the winter salt and water. I tried some rubbing alcohol to see if it would smooth out the polish to no avail. Anyone have an idea what exactly happened and how to fix the problem ?

If the mark is a like a raised crease in a line, you can try covering with polish, then pressing the back of a heated spoon along it to flatten it down. Don't go too mad with the heat on the spoon though.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What Inks said if it's raised. If it's a stain or something like that, try white vinegar(also good for salt stains).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads