• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

skacore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Thanks, well that's the main difference between the MiE boots and the "For Life" boots. MiE uses the normal correct grain leather, the FL boots use a more supple full grain leather so it doesnt "crack" in the creases, just naturally wrinkles as leather should

happen to be wearing my MiE boots today...no cracks but doesnt look as good in the stress points where your toes bend against the foot, compared to the FL boots.
oxblood.jpg

Maybe just me but I seem to appreciate the coloring a little more on the Lifes than the MIEs.

It appears by the posted video that a little attention to detail goes into the creation of the boot in England. I would be curious to see the same video shot in China/Thailand Factory where the Lifes are made? And the Lifes seem to be the better material of the two. It may quite well be time to retire the MIEs and order up the Lifes.

Just got my donkey jacket from Ben Nevis only took five days shipping. I think my authentic MA1 is actually heavier than the jacket for the winter months, but nice never the less.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skacore
Maybe just me but I seem to appreciate the coloring a little more on the Lifes than the MIEs.

Just got my donkey jacket from Ben Nevis only took five days shipping. I think my authentic MA1 is actually heavier than the jacket for the winter months, but nice never the less.

I like the For Life oxblood color better too

that's fast shipping. I heard there were delays for freight leaving thru Heathrow and that it was anywhere from 4-6 weeks, but that's cool you got it so fast. the "authentic" MA1 is the heaviest jacket I own, much moreso than any wool coats/crombies. Only my sheepskin is a heavier coat.

Con Seanery

Reaction score
^^^ Speaking of the "authentic" MA1, I have been entertaining picking this up as the price has dropped over the last year ($200 to $125). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the "authentic" you guys are referencing "Alpha Authentic".

While looking at that website again, I noticed Alpha now has this "1968 MA-1" for sale and I don't recall them offering this "˜68 version before "Alpha 1968".

The retail for the "˜68 is currently at $194 (down from $215) and I don't really know why that is priced at that point because spec wise, the difference between the two seems to be the "˜68 is 100% nylon (lining as well), is green & tonal (orange inside) -while the "auth" is all Gun Metal and the interlining is 100% wool. According to the description, both jackets have the "oxygen mask tab and headset wire buttons" details (not pictured in the 1968 as I think alpha recycled their regular MA-1 pic for the 1968 on this website).

At this point, to me the "auth" is a better buy because I'm not really all that concerned with having my wardrobe being "correct", and the jacket appears to be very warm. I am a little Leary of the Gun color though as I have never seen that up close. GS, do you like the color of the "authentic", and is it, umm I don't know, shiny or weird in any way?

@ any originals: This is minutia, but do any of you recall ever seeing the "authentic"/ Gun Metal variant back in the 60's?

albion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
None of this modern, poncy scarf tying though!

Tied like this:

scarf.jpg

He only looks miserable cos his isn't a Tootal!

...and because he is being menaced by a young Mick Jagger.

BarrelMaker

Reaction score
i found a really awesome old crombie style coat at a goodwill last night or 5 bucks made in america with union tags, i was pretty stoaked on it till i got it home and realized the pockets are disgusting! looks like who ever owned it last left it in an attic with wet hankercheifs in the pockets for 40 years. bummer.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BarrelMaker
i found a really awesome old crombie style coat at a goodwill last night or 5 bucks made in america with union tags, i was pretty stoaked on it till i got it home and realized the pockets are disgusting! looks like who ever owned it last left it in an attic with wet hankercheifs in the pockets for 40 years. bummer.

I'm sure you can find a remedy for that. Dry cleaning? Maybe get someone to sew in some new pockets.
smile.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Seanery
^^^ Speaking of the "authentic" MA1, I have been entertaining picking this up as the price has dropped over the last year ($200 to $125). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the "authentic" you guys are referencing "Alpha Authentic".

While looking at that website again, I noticed Alpha now has this "1968 MA-1" for sale and I don't recall them offering this "˜68 version before "Alpha 1968".

The retail for the "˜68 is currently at $194 (down from $215) and I don't really know why that is priced at that point because spec wise, the difference between the two seems to be the "˜68 is 100% nylon (lining as well), is green & tonal (orange inside) -while the "auth" is all Gun Metal and the interlining is 100% wool. According to the description, both jackets have the "oxygen mask tab and headset wire buttons" details (not pictured in the 1968 as I think alpha recycled their regular MA-1 pic for the 1968 on this website).

At this point, to me the "auth" is a better buy because I'm not really all that concerned with having my wardrobe being "correct", and the jacket appears to be very warm. I am a little Leary of the Gun color though as I have never seen that up close. GS, do you like the color of the "authentic", and is it, umm I don't know, shiny or weird in any way?

@ any originals: This is minutia, but do any of you recall ever seeing the "authentic"/ Gun Metal variant back in the 60's?

Now this is interesting,because never saw these in `68.Had a lengthy Discussion about this on another Site.There were no Flight Jackets until 1972ish(like this)-when I bought one,from Silvermans.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little Queenie,thanks a lot.Will be back for more compliments!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Now this is interesting,because never saw these in `68.

There was a minor vogue for them in S E London in '69, mainly because a limited stock of them came into a couple of army surplus stores.

skacore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Seanery

The gun color does look good in person (does not look shiny or weird), I went with the ink color only because I prefer a darker color.

The authentic is wool rather than the 68 wool/poly blend. I think you would be warmer and happier with an authentic.

The arms on the authentic coat are alot more slimmed down so to speak with a better fit and feels heavier in weight than my regular MA1. The authentic also does not have the annoying pocket flaps that my regular MA 1 has, that I wind up tucking in the pocket.

I see quantities are limited so if you can get one, I would jump on it. Not sure if the 68 is intended to replace the authentic as a combo jacket of the authentic and regular. I was informed the gold color is closer to the yellow injector jacket which is not a preference of mine.

I believe there is an additional 15% off code out there.

Paint House Gang

Reaction score
I've been catching up on this tread as its triple in size since the last time I looked. Not that I'm an expert as I'm in my late 20s and Canadian (although have lived in London for six years), here's my two cents on a few things.

Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush - The BMI Flipside edirtion of Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush has a lot of extras incouding a promotional film for the town of Stevenage. Quite interesting in its own right seeing the modernist new town before the inevitable decay, but there's also a bunch of scenes shot in the youth clubs where you see proto-skins playing pool. I might try to borrow the DVD again to to some screen captures.

14 hour Techincolour Dream - In Mick (International Times editor and singer of proto-punks the Deviants) Farren 's autobiography Give the Anarchist a Cigarette he talks about how the local skins showed up to cause agro but ended up having a good time because of all the drugs and free love. There's a few other mentions of skins in the book, and this is all pre-1969. He didn't mentioned that Yell supplement, so it was really cool (and surprising) to see scans of it. Never knew there was such a direct connection between the 1960s Underground and skins

Hard Mods - Will Birch (of the Kursall Flyers and the Records) wrote a book about pub rock called No Sleep 'til Canvey Island. There's a bit in it where Ian Dury talks about being a "mod" in the late 60s and describes wearing "Tuff boots and expensive macs".

"Chinese Walls" - Excellent point MoM, people do tend to see these things way too much in black and white terms. Watching enough 60s movies you see that a lot of what's considered "mod" now was just fashion. In Up the Junction (the version with Dennis Waterman) for example there's a gang of guys who dress very smartly in quite moddy looking clothes yet ride motorbikes.

Small Faces - I love this film even if the detailing isn't quite right. I always though the leader of the Tongs looked cool with his long hair, tartan scarf, turn-ups and boots. The scene in the ice rink at the end to the sound of Spencer Davis' "Keep on Running" always sends a chill up my spine.

16 Years of Alchohol - Since this is based on Richard Jobson's own youth, and he was born in 1960, I assume that his skinhead phase would have been the early-to-mid 70s as he was out of it by the time the Skids got going. That said, its all arty and surreal so I don't think its supposed to be an accurate portrayal of any one time in history. This is one of very few movies where I got so bored I had to turn it off, but I might give it another go.

Harringtons - Much as I'm loathe to admit it, my Merc Harrington is my favourite. I had a JTG one but as someone else said, the material isn't great. I have two Baracutas, which I was able to get for about £50 each new (they're always discounted somewhere) and while the material is much nicer and it has a more refined ivy league look to it, the fit isn't great. I had to "size down" and get the sleeves taken in by my tailor. The Merc harrington is a really slim fit and very hard-wearing. Plain black with set-in rather than raglan sleeves, as seen on many 70s TOTP clips. Its basically the same as all those cheapo ones on ebay but a lot better quality, not worth the £70 they try to charge for it but worth the £50 it cost me. I'm a huge fan of what some call "harrington punk" - tough punk from before the skinhead revival watershed. Bands like the Ruts, the Members, (pre-RAC) Skrewdriver, Victimised, Sham 69. Kidz Next Door, Menace, Cockney Rejects, pretty much every band from Northern Ireland, etc. I've also seen this referred to as "herbert punk" in 1970s fanzines and music papers. Although I mostly wear brogues/penny loafers, jeans/staprest, button-downs, side-parting these days, I used to be a big fan of that DMs, jeans, t-shirt, harrington, scruffy hair look.

Softly Softly - MoM you mentioned some exploitation tv episode about skins. Is this available to watch anywhere?

Original skins into the 80s Seems to me that a lot of ex-skins got into the first and second waves of punk, hence songs like 'Saturday Night Beneath the Plastic Palm Trees' by the Leyton Buzzards, 'Where Have All the Boot Boys Gone?' by Slaughter and the Dogs, The Clash playing reggae (Paul Simonon was a skin), etc. The Oi! thing was very much a third-wave and those that were there in the beginning were burned out on punk by then and had moved on to new wave, hard rock or just adulthood. I love Oi! but its such a dumbing-down of punk that I can't see why someone would want to get into it when they'd done skinhead and punk the first time around. That said, Skrewdriver helped kickstart the revival and they claim to have been original skins. In this interview their drummer Grinny says:

AG: Why did you switch to the skinhead image? Was it important to you or just something you felt like doing?
G: All of us had grown up with the skinhead, suedehead and bootboy fashions of the early '70's. I decided in 1977 that I had always been happier with the skinhead thing than the punk thing. So I got my haircut, boots, Levi jeans and jacket and away I went. Later, when Ian saw me--this was the time between Phil leaving and Ronnie joining--he decided the band should become a skinhead band. Ian was always well into the skinhead thing, he loved the violence. Kev was not too keen but went along with it.
Neds - Saw this in the cinema last week. Not that accurate but good period detail with lots of fair isle and parallels. Great soundtrack with Sparks, T Rex, the Sweet, etc. - there's a excellent punch-up at the youth club to the sounds of 'Teenage Rampage.' Unlike The Firm remake it doesn't really glorify violence, its more of a social realist commentary on how the violence affects people and their community, with the main character being a complete bastart. I enjoyed it but it drags on and gets into some strange magic realism towards the end. I read an interview where the director was saying he was inspired to make a movie about his own youth by the press going on about knife crime as if was something new.

Has anyone seen the movie Pressure? 1976 film about a young British Caribbean kid torn between his family's culture and that of his white friends. No skins in it or anything but some good rude boys clothes. Can't remember if its South or West London but some good shots of 70s London nonetheless. Its notable for being the first British film directed by a black director.

DrBassie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I like the For Life oxblood color better too

Yes, much nicer. Definitely a deeper red. The leather is nicer than any other DM's I've owned, as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads