1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I did the same at 16 but my poison was whiskey and to this day I cannot be next to someone drinking it as the smell of it makes me feel ill.

In the good old days when bottles of drink were handed out at Xmas everyone always gave bottles of whiskey and yet I knew vey few people who drank it. My bottles just got passed onto some other non whiskey drinker

2. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Ach, I can't do rye, bourbon, sour mash, or Irish whiskey due to one evening yonks ago involving a bout with the brown. However, I can drink Scotch whisky just fine, especially a nice Islay malt... though the wife always thinks something is burning in the parlor when I have a couple fingers of it, haha. It's a nice sipper this time of year.
    Seems almost everybody has an "evil tipple", due to youthful overindulgence!

Well anyways, a Holly Jolly Advent/Christmas Season to all here. May you all get Royal Brogues, 3-finger collared shirts, and NOS Big E Levis in your stockings this year.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

How predictable do you think we are? Hold on... Royals are on my wish list.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Royals are on my wish list as well. I walked past an old fashioned menswear shop in Westcliff near Southend and I saw a pair of Royal brogues in burgundy for £150. I don't need any shoes but they looked so good that I have to buy them.

5. covskin

covskin Senior member

(posted this to the wrong thread but it is vaguely relevant so I will leave it here)

I remember 'ski jumpers' being popular around 1980 to 1982 as the main component of a post-harrington 2 Tone 'rudeboy' look - something of a precursor to the Pringle/Lyle and Scott pullover look of the casuals. I remembered them after seeing this video on another forum

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Now some of the ski jumpers in the video look a bit mad but the red one would be most typical of the time, a fairly simple hoop on a yoke set over a plain coloured body. Colourways could be things like blue/red or even blue/green but eventually seemed to resolve onto a wholly grey, navy blue or burgundy body, as often seen on skinheads (around the same time as waffle-knit cardies).

Not really Fair Isle. Anyone else remember these? I must have had two or three of them over that many years.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Just caught this on the BBC and hearing Neanderthal Man again after 45 years after it being completely erased from my memory was magical !
    There is a moment in The Strawberry Studios,Stockport that should bring a smile to Royton Boy.(@ 12.45min )
    Need to take a second look at the Paul McCartney - Buddy Holly Day Party photo,but that sure looks like Big Ron ,front and center in there?
    Seasons Best wishes to everyone …..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06r14pr/im-not-in-love-the-story-of-10cc

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yes. I even bought one (in my early 30s, probably in an attempt to look young) in blue and grey. It's something I would rather forget.

8. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Thanks Gsvs5 - yes, it certainly did. It's still played at matches to this day!

Elwood - aren't the 10cc lads from your neck of the woods?

9. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

According to the Richard Barnes book, the year or the multiple mirrors fad was 64.

10. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Apologies for technical hitch. Meant to attach re comments on scooter mirrors

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Hi SL, how are you doin' mate ? We missed you at the last meet up.

Speaking of ski jumpers... Well they are for... ski ain't they ? At least here. I remember my older brother and sister wore some in the 60s-70s.

Update. I had a talk about ski jumpers with my sister (she was rather surprised !). She remember them very well. My brother and her had them around 1962-1964, and kept them for years. They were possibly made in Switzerland, but she thinks it's a Nordic pattern/origin.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  12. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

[​IMG]

Nicked from a pal's FB page . Mint condition .

4 people like this.
  13. Man-of-Mystery

Do what?

[​IMG]

(spotted on a web site today. Unbelievable.)

14. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Well beards are trendy for the masses as they attempt to achieve some sort of beached-sea-mariner look. .

Never been into beards , personally apart from the ones that Manfred sported back in the 6ts . He always managed to look cool. .

[​IMG]

15. Man-of-Mystery

We've had this video before, but if you look at 1:00 you'll see the bloke after to two blokes in shirts/braces has a bomber jacket without piping. This is not unlike the ones I knew 'up north' in 67/68, though that one looks like it might be lined.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Here's another pic we've had before*

[​IMG]

Mods & Rockers. What really cracks me up is the 'audience'. I'm wondering whether this might be one of the photos 'staged' by a journo.

*Don't panic - I'm actually coming across this stuff as I'm transcribing stuff for 'the book'. Yes, really!

17. Man-of-Mystery

Yeah, Manfred went in for the 'Amish-minimalist' look. :D

18. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Some time back there was some discussion about how the gangster look was briefly popular in the wake of movies like 1967's Bonnie and Clyde. Here's some video of the look and it includes the only known surviving footage of 'The Artwood's' albeit dressed as the short lived 'The Saint Valentines Massacre' - they were a R and B band big in the mod clubs featuring Ronnie Wood's brother Art. If you look carefully you can also see Long John Baldry and members of the Troggs. Perhaps some mods who didn't want to go hippy but were not so proto skin inclined either got into that look?

Carnaby Street (1967)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  19. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Yes I remember that one and would agree it is staged . .

Check out the guy in the right ,foreground as it looks like the stingy brim on his little sporty hat has been ripped off or "eaten". . and what is that black thing on the grebo's face. .

20. Man-of-Mystery

It looks either like a blemish on the photo, or a bit of his barnet.