1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Between 1968-1972 My crowd only used the middle button on the jackets. Anyone using the bottom button would have a been considered a twat. When Alexei Sayle burst onto the alternative comedy scene wearing a tight fitting mohair suit he did all three buttons up and we though twat.

2 people like this.
  2. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Yes that is him. So is this:

[​IMG]

He mentions his skin past here:

"Then when I got to be about 13 or 14 - at that age when you hate your parents and you hate your world and you hate everything, I was a skinhead and doing a lot of fighting and stuff like that and my dad kept having to come down to Leed Police Station and get me out of jail for getting arrested as a juvenile for fighting and stuff. So one day he came with a beat up old snare drum and said, "If you're gonna be like that you can take your agression out on this", and he forbid me from going out for two months or something".

Ref: http://www.metalliville.com/bankup/INTERVIEWS Folder/Phil Taylor.htm

JJ Burnel apart from being an ex skinhead is right into karate. Maybe this was an inspiration for him?

[​IMG]

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Y'know... I just HAVE to get a copy of that! :D

4. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

[​IMG]SORTS

2 people like this.
  5. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I'd say post 1967 , though it was an enduring look. I saw 3 sorts last year at East Midlands Airport dressed like that. .

6. covskin

covskin Senior member

Sorts? Why do skinhead girls get called all these affected names? Anyway, they don't exactly look like they are sipping Babycham so I would guess this is nowhere near 1969.

7. covskin

covskin Senior member

Reminds me of some of the bootboy graffitti you would see in the early 70s on walls of pub toilets and the like - alongside the various xxxxx bootboys, xxxxx aggro and xxxxx mentals rule ok stuff I remember seeing martial arts-tinged stuff like 'ying tong gang'. Same influences as produced the infamous kung fu throwing stars at football?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  8. Bob the Badger

Sort was an authentic skinhead term for a girl in 1969. It wasn't derogatory. The term tart was also used. I think that might have been more offensive but blokes would call each other tart in an affectionate non-gay way. Bird was commonly used but chick was a little bit too hippy for skinhead tastes.
    The girls down Iford Palais wouldn't be drinking much Babycham. I usually got stung for VATs, rum and black, rum and coke or even drambuie. And on Sunday night those girls would be going to school the next day.

1 person likes this.
  9. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

its 1980 .

1 person likes this.
  10. elwood

elwood Senior member

I'll second that from my part of the North West ... and for school blazers, too :)

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I recall it was short for the term 'She's a good sort' ie good type of girl

I remember Rum and Black (black current) being dreaded when your girl asked for that as if it spilt on your clothes you could never get the stain out so a new shirt or strides were ruined.

12. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

I have also heard it claimed that martial arts influenced northern soul dancing, esp. Bruce Lee.

13. Man-of-Mystery

It was a slang term for girls in London, back in the day. We did actually use it, although I have to say I never used it to a girl's face.

14. Man-of-Mystery

I remember it as 'fair sort'.

15. Man-of-Mystery

It's possible, I suppose, but on the other hand I can remember seeing (and trying!) several dance moves in a club in Manchester in 1968, that obviously developed into the Northern Soul style, and that was well before Bruce was famous over here. That included high kicks, which later were compared to kung fu or tae kwon do kicks. Enter The Dragon came out in 1973.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Attitude and style. I'd go along with that.

17. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

The NS style its said was copied by those at The Wheel from USA Soul acts who would do the shuffle style dance and back drops - Alvin Cash apparent being a big influence . Teddy Boys also did the back flips as well back in the 70s again copied from 1950s US Rythm n blues acts .

18. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Seen in Spitalfields market last weekend. London-made by some small company and on offer for 40 quid. Does this come fairly close to the surfer jackets worn by skinheads in 1968 that you sometimes mention, M-o-M?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  19. Man-of-Mystery

Close, but not very. Different collar, different fabric, and the original was unlined.

20. Bob the Badger

I got blind drunk on rum and black when I was 16 and it took me 30 years before I could face a glass of rum again. A West Indian friend went back to Tobago and bought me back an authentic rum and I got over my phobia.