1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

It's like they're going out of their way to be ugly.
    We can't all have had the good fortune to make the lasses swoon due to matinee idol handsomity(!) but for me one of the tenets of Mod was to do the absolute best with what you've got. These people are like the 180 degree antithesis of Mod. 'I'm not conventionally handsome so I won't make any attempt, in fact I'll go out of my way to make it obvious I'm not trying' thus the shit beards, shit hats, workwear clothes, etc.

Due to weird quirks in my family background I don't get class references. I've never felt like I belonged to, fitted in with, or aspired to belong to any particular class. I don't get the vilification of 'middle class', nor the desperation for perceived status of being 'working class'. There are people with enviable wealth and those without it. Some of that wealth was hard earned, some due to an accident of birth or inheritance or lotto tickets.

1 person likes this.
  2. covskin

covskin Senior member

Not many references to Levi's 502s on this thread so here is my own 502 story, reposted from the other thread for anyone who might be interested:

Not so happy with the fit of my 501s I ordered some shrink-to-fit which got me thinking of my previous experience with shrink-to-fit, back in 1979 with some Levis orange tag 50* somethings (low number, maybe 503?) having a zipper and a slight taper.

Google led me to the LVC site, Ebay, Superfuture, etc and it seems from this (not 501 button fly, not 503 wide silhouette, 504 apparently non-existent for men, not 505 always pre-shrunk) they would have been orange tag 502s - zippered 501s produced from 1967 to 1976 with an orange tag to differentiate a streetwear line having slightly different construction details (stitching, label, etc). The 501 variants on the LVC site move from a slightly tapered 1966 silhouette to a lower rise 1978 silhouette so I am guessing (1966 501<1976 502<1978 501<1979 purchase) I got a pair of 502 three years or older which more closely followed the lines of the 501 worn by the first wave of skinheads than did the 501 in 1979.

No idea who should take the credit for this, me with my profound instincts (lol!) or the shopkeeper taking one look at me and knowing what was needed. Anyway, I really enjoyed fleshing out my recollection with the help of google. Seems to me to be a fascinating little story of how the look went on.

3. Paint House Gang

Paint House Gang Well-Known Member

Not that's its really possible to define a hipster these days as anything other than 'trendy young person' but Blur pre-date all that. As Soul Vision mentioned they played around with various Skinhead and 80s Casual looks. Apparently they were told to cut it out with the DMs and Union Jacks due to unwanted right-wing overtones. Can't seem to find any online but there are definitely photos of them in DMs and Harringtons. Then there's the Sergio Taccini zip-up Damon's wearing in the Park LIfe video....

1 person likes this.
  4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Ease, up - you're talking to one! :D

Just to get back to the topic of 'our' era, I think I have mentioned before that the first mainstream mods (short hair, levis, etc. pre-skinhead) I saw in London were in the suburbs.

5. Man-of-Mystery

As I recall, back in the day you just went into a shop and asked for 'Levis'. I never heard anyone talk numbers.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Damon Albarn knows his roots from "hard mod" to "casual". But let's face it, all the traditional clobber is mainstream for a long time now.

In this 2012 show, he sports a harrington, oxblood DMs and turn-ups

In 2015, he seems to favor the MA-1

[​IMG]

and the leather version too
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

The leather MA-1 is a holy grail of mine. Someday... Someday! On a side note, Clouseau, I'm glad to see that you're safe. I have many froends in Paris, and a couple of them were not 300 yards from Bataclan that night, I was worried sick for their safety. I know this forum has nothing to do with current events; I just had to say it.

8. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Here in Boston pseudo skinhead style is fast fashion. Many places like Primark, H&M, and Uniqlo now offer a hipsterfied version of the look. The new trend for college guys is harrington or chesterfield, skinny jeans or skinny fit low rise chinos with turn ups, and dr martens.. Oh yeah, the beard is definitely present in the look too. Ten years ago if you saw anyone around here who even resembled a skinhead, they most likely were one. That's not the case anymore.

1 person likes this.
  9. covskin

covskin Senior member

There is a lot to be said for both a limited range of product and for shopkeepers that are knowing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  10. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

There is a difference mate, you are middle class, but not a wanker as well. I'm middle class too btw...When it comes to Blur and their dabbling in various 'looks' the word dilettante comes to mind, maybe I am being too harsh, I don't know...

11. Man-of-Mystery

Thank you for that vote of confidence. :D

12. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I think it was 1980 before I saw a pair of Levi's with a button fly and I thought , wtf. When I enquired of the assistant , I think I was told something about durability . .give me a zip any day of the week . .

13. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Same here. Back in the 60's you just went in the shop and bought a pair of Levi's, Lee or Wrangler. The shops didn't have a range of numbers. The jeans were all zip fly with a similar cut. I first had red tab Levi's and I can still remember the smell of them when new. One time I got home to find I had bought orange tab and I thought they were knockoff. Back then I only had one or two pairs of jeans at any one time. I now have over 12 pairs and I would swap them all for my first pair of 501's.or the pair of Lee's I bought in NY in the mid 70's.

14. Soul Vision

Interesting to see in this clip many pretty horrible fashions for 1969 - I guess it highlights how the skinhead look was in many ways in total opposition to more 'mainstream styles' by that time. It raises the point was the 'look' by then a more traditional return to working class roots or was it genuinely subversive?

A few other things - there is a young bloke who sports a bit of a mod look at 1.21 and the company Yangtzekiang Garment Limited or YGM who you can see have a stand. I had never heard of them before but they are a Chinese outfit apparently. Anyone remember their clothes? Were they cheap and nasty?

Men And Boys Wear Exhibition (1969)

15. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

e

I hear ye man . I can also remember my first pair of Levi's and their smell and also how bloody stiff they were . I was actually in the States when I saw my first Levis with the button fly and the assistant could see my horror so, she got me to try on what was to be my first pair of Lee jeans ( the assistant referred to them as Lee Riders) . .

I went away happy enough , but if it hadn't been for the assistant I would have been more likely to have left empty handed . . I liked that assistant . .

16. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

'THE LOOK ' is taken from America Colleges in the first place - where do you think ' The Harrington ' came from .

17. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Me and my girlfriend bought 4 pairs of Lee Riders in a warehouse store near Brooklyn bridge. The assistant was a friendly old Jewish guy who gave us free Lee key fobs which I still have to this day. I think the jeans were less than half price compared to UK. I've loved Lee jeans ever since.

1 person likes this.
  18. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah but there's nothing neat and tidy about the gear/facial hair/5-gauge ear plug things being sported to which Nik is referring. It's a sloppy hodge-podge and definitely not a cohesive "look". It looks like a bunch of clothes put in into a Cuisinart and pasted on!

1 person likes this.
  19. Soul Vision

"5-gauge ear plug things" ha ha what a classic expression and hideous look!

1 person likes this.
  20. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Haha, I don't know the proper name for them, but you know what I mean! Haha, awful stuff. That and multiple facial piercings are a huge pet peeve of mine-- especially when you see a beautiful girl's looks just ruined by them. Different strokes and all, but Yeesh!