1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I had time to kill in Glasgow yesterday, and I spent a lot of time browsing in the clothing shops. I noticed the following:

1). A lot of the 'name' stores are selling their 'take' on the Harrington. Largely these are shmatter, and you would get a better looking one on line or down the market.

2) 'Next' have, amongst their shirts, a plain white and a sky blue with button-down collars you can get three fingers under. However, they don't look 'soft-roll' to me. Ignore the ones shown on their web site, which are slightly different in the collar. They also have a white spear-point, but it has a collar-pin and corresponding holes; that's all right if you want that touch, but I'd much prefer a straightforward spear-point.

3) 'River Island' has a surfer jacket in navy with slightly contrasting navy collar and cuff. You'll find it among their other bomber jackets, most of which are shiny and tacky. It still isn't quite the same as the surfer jackets we had back in 67, but it's the closest yet.

4) Just about every shoe department has more brogues and loafers than you can shake a stick at.

5) This season's jackets seem to be very preppy tweed versions of the two-button, short-arse suit-jackets we've been seeing around since the clothing industry decided to save money by saving cloth by making bum-freezers 'trendy'. However, this means the high street 'look' is getting a kind of anorexic Ivy League feel to it. In 'John Lewis' I found a tweed jacket by a Dutch company called 'Scotch and Soda', that actually had three buttons and was slightly longer. I tried it on. Well, it wasn't exactly bad, but it's necessary to size up to get a fit. Add to that the fact that the cloth isn't exactly the kind of tweed I'd expect in Scotland. My conclusion is that at my age if I wear a tweed jacket I look like an old bloke in a tweed jacket, so if I was looking for an Ivy League style tweed jacket it's worth taking the trouble to look for a well-made one out of decent cloth.

2 people like this.
  2. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

If I were looking for Ivy-style tweeds, I'd go for J. Press or O'Connell's. Both the real deal as far as Ivy goes.

3. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I have,over these last 3 years been tempted to produce a list like the one above.The fashion designers in NYC live in the Hipster Billyburg hood (cause they heard it was cool) and so they were exposed to all the variations of Hipster from all the SubCults of the past.So,they been liftin' shit off the streets and stockin' the Malls etc. with 'em.Noticed Levi's are producing a Retro Hip Hop Baggy style now.Looks like Skinny Jeans are on the way out again.Most of yuz on here should be glad to see the back of 'em I expect.I will just go back to sewing my "Drainies" myself.Cause I'm a Punk for Life.

1 person likes this.
  4. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Cheers EW, all I could work out was the ones on the right did have a bit of a platform look to them...coupled with what look like pretty flarey trousers that really is a naff look...funny thing too is the guy on the right looks like he has turned up his trousers.

5. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

Can vouch for online, recently got a olive green harrington from jump the gun, my old one is going to a charity shop.

6. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Speaking of 'boot boys' were any of them the younger brothers of originals? I haven't seen too many photos of them except for album covers although there are a few about...

[​IMG]

7. Man-of-Mystery

Scruffy cnuts! :D It's interesting to spot the actual items of clothing left over from the previous phase of the 'look'. You can spot a Harrington, a jacket with thin 1960s lapels, the old denim jacket fastened at the second button from the top, DMs of course...

1 person likes this.
  8. covskin

covskin Senior member

Code:

When I started secondary school in 1974 it was pretty clear that bootboys were most strongly represented in the top year aged 15 or 16 so they could well have been younger or later skinheads in their time. I remember some of them making fun of an older bloke still a skinhead as we waited for a bus like they had moved on and he hadn't. I had a bit of a mouth on me so they adopted me as a mascot lol, getting me (a little 11 year old) to hit people they didn't like and so on. They all wore crombies but that was probably a fitting in with school uniform thing. Think they wore a flared stapress in grey with front-opening pockets and many with DMs. Serrated red hankie on a card in the top pocket of the crombie! In hindsight they were quite heavily suedehead still, just with terrible hair, though I never heard that word until years later. The look in the photo above I associate more with blokes in pubs, a slightly older age group.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  9. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

I was born in 58 and to young in 68 to be a proper skin but by 72 had a paper round and jumped into the ' smoothie , boot boy ' look . Rupert trousers , Topper shoes , Crombie , Penny collar shirts then a mad 'northern ' jean called 'Skinners ' big flappy fuckers that never caught on down south - Oxford bags , Stars and Stripes long slevve t shirts , satin bombers from kensington market and Jumbo cords with beaten up DM's that were paint sprayed in your teams colours .. football jumpers also a big thing .

1 person likes this.
  10. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

M-o-M posted a long time ago the "Smithies" picture. But i don't remember if we already had the text that comes with the photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

They look Northern / Midland boot boys . Londoners never wore trousers that wide .

12. Man-of-Mystery

Yes, I think we did have it before. I seem to remember remarking that the journalist had put 'caff' (which is a short way of saying 'café') when I thought it should have been 'gaff' which means someone's house. I think there is one instance in the article where 'gaff' is correct, and one where 'caff' is. A bit like when that foreign journalist interpreted 'We hate greasers' as an expression of prejudice against Italians. Has anyone on this thread who comes from London ever heard the police referred to as 'codgers'? Or is this another misinterpretation by the journo?

13. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Not heard the police referred to as that - just old people ie 'some old codger'

14. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

maybe the hack misheard ' Cozzers ' . A term still in use in London in the 80s .

15. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

For the Police we used the term Old Bill amongst ourselves and Coppers to others. Never heard the term Codger applied to The Rozzers or Cozzers.

16. covskin

covskin Senior member

Haha...Filth, The Pork, Titheads, Plod. There must be others.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  17. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

London Meet-up 26 November - update

Hello gents, as you know the Look Goes On posters had a London get together in July and we have put another one in the diary for 26 November. Last time we met near Liberty but this time the feeling is we should include a visit to John Simons in Chiltern Street. I had a very quick scout around last Friday for a pub to meet in and suggest we go for the Metropolitan Bar at 12.30 right next to Baker Street station (where I imagine most of us will come into). It's only a JD Wetherspoon but should be ok as a meeting place.

So far I believe the following members are coming:
    @Clouseau
    @Man-of-Mystery
    @Aces and Eights
    @browniecj
    @covskin

I think @skinny legs may also join us.

Look forward to it.

2 people like this.
  18. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I like your Blog.Looks good and numerous pics of Audrey Hepburn.Can't go wrong with Her.

1 person likes this.
  19. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

Does anyone know any decent selvedge denim jeans at a reasonable price? ive been looking at Levi 501 selvedge jeans but the quality of Levis is pretty dire these days, and of course they are cut differently to original Levi's.

20. covskin

covskin Senior member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015