• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

roytonboy

Reaction score
Very cool post, Roytonboy. The middle paragraph especially: Looks like the whole "Life imitating Art" thing? I wonder how much of the evolution of skinhead was down to kids imitating the exaggerated newspaper accounts of skinheads as opposed to the "organic" evolution by imitating one's peers and elders in the street.

Thanks, Botolph - I don't think the media had any impact on the 'organic' evolution of the style other than to spread it. What it did though, was to exaggerate the image as the aggressive portrayal then attracted characters who would not have been mods - I can even think of some individuals of whom this would have been true. The papers never referred to the style or the eye for detail, only concentrating on the more negative elements and no doubt got the response they desired from the general public. Conversely, some people who had been mods, or would have become mods, distanced themselves from the look simply because they didn't want to be associated with its violent image. In short, it became a self fulfilling prophecy (or as you say "Life imitating Art").

So, as young people all over Britain rushed out to get their hair cut and don their boots and braces (yes, guilty as charged!) many of those who originated the look were already moving on to a subtler, less overtly menacing image - a style that was also to percolate through the rest of the country in time.

I believe, however, that whilst the press had little influence on the style other than to spread it, they did influence the behaviour as some skinheads now believed, for example, that they should be out attacking Asian immigrants because '**** Bashing' was what skinheads did. (And, as stated above, probably attracted racists who otherwise wouldn't have adopted the style of dress)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe, however, that whilst the press had little influence on the style other than to spread it, they did influence the behaviour as some skinheads now believed, for example, that they should be out attacking Asian immigrants because '**** Bashing' was what skinheads did. (And, as stated above, probably attracted racists who otherwise wouldn't have adopted the style of dress)

I think you've probably got that spot on.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
Good evening,

I have been researching the meaning of "The Saint" tattoo for a little while -after seing it on badges and skinhead's skins- ; I even asked a skinhead friend, in vain.
...then I stumbled on your thread and a picture of a Simon Templar tattoo, but without explanations.

-----Could you please tell me more about the meaning of this tattoo ?

All the best from Dijon, France
Anthony
Hello Anthony

The Saint tattooed arm on here is mine and I had the Saint with boots tattoo done in early 1970. It was the symbol for our gang and some 20 lads had it. I do not know if it was used elsewhere in the country.

As regards why it was used by us - there was no particular reason other than that one of the elder members had just the Saint on his arm and some of us adopted it. The Saint (Simon Templar / Roger Moore) was a cool good guy and we added the boots to imply we were the bad guys. Nothing was actually said to this effect it was just the feeling and then over a few months we were all visiting the tattoo parlour.

Having a fair selection of 'old school' tattoos on various parts of my person this is the one that always gets the most inquiries from people asking "what does that mean" etc etc. It is a permanent reminder of 'happy days' - No regrets

AnthoMoz

Reaction score
Hello Anthony

The Saint tattooed arm on here is mine and I had the Saint with boots tattoo done in early 1970. It was the symbol for our gang and some 20 lads had it. I do not know if it was used elsewhere in the country.

As regards why it was used by us - there was no particular reason other than that one of the elder members had just the Saint on his arm and some of us adopted it. The Saint (Simon Templar / Roger Moore) was a cool good guy and we added the boots to imply we were the bad guys. Nothing was actually said to this effect it was just the feeling and then over a few months we were all visiting the tattoo parlour.

Having a fair selection of 'old school' tattoos on various parts of my person this is the one that always gets the most inquiries from people asking "what does that mean" etc etc. It is a permanent reminder of 'happy days' - No regrets

Interesting, a "symbol" in the pure sense of the word.
I'm glad you guys answered me

A

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a great post, roytonboy. I too apologise for the delay in jotting down my recollection about drugs back in the day.

In the early days of skinhead, say 1967 – 69, I do not recall any of my acquaintances indulging in any drug other than beer, cigarettes and the odd spirit. We were aged between about 15 to 17 during that period. By early 1970 some of the older blokes (who may in turn have had older brothers to egg them on) were starting to experiment with marijuana and, I think some stronger stuff too. I have to say they were in a minority and were the ones who, by around 1971, started to go off the rails. Two of them sobered up briefly and emigrated to Australia!

I did indulge in the odd smoke but found it didn’t do anything for me.

Picking up roytonboy’s other point about how I got into skinhead, I would say he is basically right. I was too young to be a Mod in the early 60s but always admired their look and attitude. Being the snob I am, I found the parka-wearing, scooter-riding bunch too untidy for my tastes! Having said that, there were two sixth-formers when I was in the first year at my secondary school (in 1964) who arrived on a scooter, but in Crombies, bowlers and Tootal scarves. I have said before that they were really inspiring. (This is the type of look that was favoured by Gill and Del Evans, pics of whom we have seen here recently and who called themselves 'Continentalists'.)

There were others I saw around town and on holidays and in London who all fed my desire to be a Mod, but as 1966 dawned and I was only 13 the movement went into terminal decline, of course.

So, as I gradually became slightly better off with a paper round and odd evening and other jobs and had a little money to spend, I struggled to know what to buy. As browniecj has often said, that period from the end of 1965 to around mid 1967 was especially interesting because of the variety of styles and influences. Many, many wardrobe malfunctions occurred during that fast-moving time and I cringe now to think of the mistakes I made along the way.

Unlike roytonboy I did not seek to become a skinhead but by now it was the best option on the table (the only one). But, just as I had done in the earlier Mod period, I took a dislike to the rougher, harder aspects. I was therefore relieved when, in 1969, stopping in the West End on the way back from holiday in Bognor, a few mates and I tracked down the elusive Royals and other goodies in the Squire Shop in Brewer Street. But that look was to prove short-lived in my area, as by the following summer really major changes were afoot…….

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Saint: Just a completely off-the-wall memory of the 1960s here, but Cliff Hall of The Spinners (the folkies, not the Detroit group) used to do a little 'Saint' matchstick man with a black face whenever he signed his autograph.

Ubuntu

Reaction score
Just got a Jump the Gun Harrington through in Navy.

The sizing down advice rings true if you want the slimmer fit, I ordered a size down and it fits perfectly.

Lovely looking jacket, let's see how it holds up!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a Jump the Gun Harrington through in Navy.

The sizing down advice rings true if you want the slimmer fit, I ordered a size down and it fits perfectly.

Lovely looking jacket, let's see how it holds up!
Good stuff. Yes, let us know how it performs. Do you have any JTG knitwear? Just wondering how that fits.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Did we had this one ?

Must be 1970-71, cos the platform shoes. Not so smooth for a "smoothie"!

Last edited:

Basset

Reaction score
I've seen that one somewhere, i'd say it's later than that, usual diclaimer
1f609.png

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Maybe some of the Manchester lads around here will have a clue?

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did we had this one ?

Must be 1970-71, cos the platform shoes. Not so smooth for a "smoothie"!
1974...Cardiff City v Man Utd......United supporters used to wear tartan scarves then because they had so many Scottish players ( and a Scottish manager)....there was lots of trouble that day and Uniteds massive away following did not get it all their own way.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Very precise answer, Cerneabbas.

What about this one folks, do you think they are "originals" little brothers, or later on ?
As usual, B&W pics are difficult to date. Anyway, they remind me of Shaun, in the Shane Meadows picture.

flyfronted

Reaction score
1974...Cardiff City v Man Utd......United supporters used to wear tartan scarves then because they had so many Scottish players ( and a Scottish manager)....there was lots of trouble that day and Uniteds massive away following did not get it all their own way.
Butchers coats ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads