1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. con man

con man Senior member

I agree, just a bog standard jacket, don't remember the make, wasn't Dickies , you can get their stuff over here and I would of rembered that.

monkey jackets are not really flashy jackets anyway, suppose what makes them a bit different were the ones with the piping, maybe that's why they weren't particulary fashionable after the late 60's, they are quite boring.
    I had another one about 10 years ago, beige coloured with brown collar and cuffs with orange piping, I was not fussed about it, so gave it away

2. con man

con man Senior member

[​IMG]

I just realised I got another one, this is about 6/7 years ago and just realised I quite like it, will have to dig it out again, it's a Fred Perry, it's is a shiny nylon material, not matte though

3. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Now assuming this is from the 1960's (not totally sure about that - just found it on FB) it has some interesting details (jeans with turn ups, young guy up the back with very short hair and somebody wearing one of those horse riding hats!)

[​IMG]

4. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

This is Original.There is a series of pics with these guys..Have seen several Original Mods with the Riding Hat (brought back bay the Casuals).

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

No need to apologise for that either! :)

6. Man-of-Mystery

Whether the picture is 'original' or not, that helmet made to look like a Deerstalker definitely is. They were marketed in the 1960s. Everoak did one, and I think it's the same one as in your picture above: [​IMG] I thought Kangol made one too, but I think I was mistaken about that. I'm trying to figure out whether the guy in the photo below is wearing one. Difficult to say from that angle. [​IMG]

7. Man-of-Mystery

... and like I said, enough already about the spurious link between the 1967 surfer jacket and the MA-1! All they had in common was a zip.

:D

8. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

One of the reasons my nickname is arthur scargill, cant stop ranting after a few pints, much to the annoyance of my mates!.

Saw a lad wearing one of those deerstalker hats few month ago, looked a bit like sherlock.

9. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Quote:
    Dorfman Pacific made one as well I'm not sure if that brand was available in the UK though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  10. con man

con man Senior member

No
    Let's us carry on taliking about a possible link, just to wind this bloke up!

11. con man

con man Senior member

This is the Gospel according to Man of Mystery haha!!!!

Seriously, how can you make such a sweeping statement, you must be the font of all knowledge, regarding these particular jackets, you can honestly say the these jackets .......completely disappeared from the face of world....... actually everywhere in the world from 1968 onwards?

Your actual knowledge of this statistic is amazing,
    where did you get this Information, Wickipedia haha!!!!

You seriously need to get down of your high horse, your highness,

Tell you what........ if your statement, turned out to be proven correct, I would apologise and doff my cap to you.

Somehow though, I don't think it's true.

I just think it's arrogant and think your ego has got the better of you.

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I remember the 80s cheap Imitation MA-1s
    [​IMG]
    The one on the right is an imitation for sure (the one in the center too, most probably). You can tell as it's thin and there is no storm flap under the zipper.
    The one on the left is probably an imitation too, but a bit closer to the real thing (i had one like that !), bulkier than the other imitations.

1 person likes this.
  13. con man

con man Senior member

Great find Clouseau Those are the ones, I'm talking about, they were cheap and nasty and very lightweight , but looking at them now, they actually don't look that bad, well not in that photo, where did you get this photo? Looks like my house behind them, haha!! saying that, all 1950's built council houses look the same And if you didn't know better and without the arm on the pocket, the one on the right especially, could be passed off as a Monkey jacket

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Found it here:

http://revolverproject.com/journal/journal/vintage-style-fred-perry-through-the-ages/

Well they don't look that bad only in photo !

I still remember when i had my first 'real' one. I was a big boy at last !

1 person likes this.
  15. con man

con man Senior member

And also, you are quite correct , one detail I forgot about.......
    They didn't have the storm flap under the zip, again making it look like a Monkey Jacket/ MA-1 hybrid

16. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Nik Louis fall tartans are here.

100% Cotton Japanese HBT
    Life time guarantee
    Made In USA
    Free international shipping
    Complimentary alterations
    150 USD
    Limited edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

$150 dollars for a shirt, that is just absolutely ridiculous.

Same with the mikkel rude shirts, great way to price out the average working joe, no wonder people buy the cheaper stuff.

19. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

Nice shirts Nick!

Some people don't mind paying more for limited runs of quality product. Being a skinhead (or an ex skinhead) does not mean one is impoverished and as far as I'm concerned "oneupsmanship" is a big part of being involved with almost any subculture.

3 people like this.
  20. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Thanks for your support! No one sees how much time and money is involved to produce these just right. Not to mention making shirts in the USA or UK is a lot more expensive than manufacturing in Asia where most brands do. We try to use the most high quality fabrics while still trying to keep the price fair. We also offer made to measure at the same price.

1 person likes this.