1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

its Liverpool - fashion took a long time to travel back then .

2. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Unfortunately there has been an element of racism attached to Liverpool. It was at the centre of the slave trade to North America and the Caribbean and much of the city's wealth was originally built on that. Some of the older buildings in the city centre still carry engravings of black slaves in chains. It has one of the oldest black communities in the country (and the oldest Chinatown in Europe) and an element of prejudice existed for generations. The clip posted recently by Soul Vision about Liverpool in the 1960's gives an indication of how things were. Even in the 1980's, Everton Football Club had no black players at a time when virtually all other teams, including England, did. Whether that was club policy or just 'coincidence' we'll never know but the Everton's fans gleeful chant of "Everton are white, Everton are white" might be a clue. It was certainly an indication of attitudes in the city at the time. Little surprise then that trouble flared between gangs of youths from the different communities.

The use of the word 'skinhead' is, I would suggest, another example of lazy journalism as the fashion would have moved on to suedehead and beyond by 1972.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Thanks for your informative post Roytonboy - I couldn't find anything about any riots in 72 on the internet but there were as you all no doubt know riots in 81 and 2011 so it appears it is still a pretty violatile place at times...it's only through people such as yourself I can get a fuller picture...

4. Soul Vision

Pretty poor quality footage and the music ain't that great either but still a great look at a club I have heard hosted a lot of great acts. Weird that the front row sit in seats but I believe the Flamingo was a bit like that too (?)

ZOOT MONEY : KLOOKS KLEEK , January 1967

5. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Having worked at sea for a few years,I met more lads of mixed race from Liverpool than anywhere else.I recall one lad whose Mother was white,Father was black and grandmother Chinese.He used to get more than his fair share of birds I might add.Never came across any racism or racist comments from any of them? Even the religious/football banter was done with tongue in cheek.Scousers have had a poor reputation for years and are usually met with pre conceived opinions,but I personally have found them to be no worse than any other region,apart from their razor sharp wit and humor.I remember lads returning back from leave at the time of the Toxteth riots in the early 80's and the common thread was how everyone had stood together and face to face with "the Bizzy" ,like chained dogs desperate for a fight.I think little has changed since then in poor areas.Their is still a mistrust and hatred toward the police,as has been repeatedly shown in subsequent confrontations.Funny though how when the shit hits the fan,someone always calls for the police.

2 people like this.
  6. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Yes, the riots in the early eighties were certainly not 'race riots' but rather the poor expressing their frustration at the way they perceived the country was being run. Black and white stood together in most places where they occurred.

Scousers are the same as everyone else - most of them are OK, some are great lads (and girls), some are bad. No doubt many of the racial issues have eased in Liverpool as they have elsewhere. In terms of the religious bigotry I know someone who worked in Liverpool and they operated a religious bar there. It was widely accepted that the organisation did not employ Catholics. When he questioned how they knew he wasn't a Cathlolic his colleagues told him, "Because you wouldn't be working here if you were." We would like to think that all that has died out too........

1 person likes this.
  7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

In the middle of July I am going to a Club,that was originally called the Sink in Liverpool(now called Magnet) in the 60s.One of the Djs spinning there used to go to the original Club.It had a mixed Black and White Crowd.He did say that going anywhere near the Cavern ,for Blacks, could be a bit dodgy.

2 people like this.
  8. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Apologies if this has been covered before- how common were original black skinheads? I seem to remember something about the Willesden blacks....
    Chelsea fans will remember a large black baldie called Kojak. He used to stand in the Shed gangway cross armed, with a sleeveless denin jacket and nothing underneath- flexing his biceps constantly. Looking back he was a cross between a conventional skin and something out of the Warriors film.

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

There were a handful of kids in the Lewisham Bowling Alley crowd with Jamaican heritage. The Savoy Rooms in Catford always got its fair share of black customers. I had a West African creole mate, from somewhere the other side of the River, called Fred Dove who was a skinhead, and helped out a bit with Yell.

Anybody with any degree of hair loss got called 'Kojak' back then. :D

10. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

I can only speak for our area. In our immediate locality there were very few West Indians anyway, so therefore very few black skinheads. I would say that they would lean more towards our culture and style of dress than any other (or was it the other way round?!?) and I can remember a couple who were skinheads/suadeheads in terms of dress and the people they went around with. In terms of Manchester, there was a larger West Indian community centred on Moss Side. This is where Manchester City's stadium was situated so it would have been natural for there to have been local black skinheads at City matches but in all honesty I can't recall any. (There may have been some but I don't remember any - if they were of mixed race maybe I just didn't notice!)

11. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

This is more my recollection of Liverpool (between about 1975 and 1985 when I worked around there and lived not far from it) than it being a particularly racist city. My mum and my maternal grandma were both Liverpudlians* by the way. I felt safer walking through Toxteth than I did walking through Southport at pub-and-club-chucking-out-time.

I had a mate who was a copper on the Merseyside force, and he used to tell some stories about the riots that would make your hear stand on end. Like the off-duty coppers on the rooftops with sporting catapults and pockets full of ball-bearings. He had some funnier stories as well, such as when they drafted in a load of police from Newcastle-on-Tyne, and instructed them to give one warning to crowds of lads to disperse, and if they didn't immediately, start applying truncheons to heads. Unfortunately, you can imagine the dialect barrier between Geordies and Scousers. The dialogue usually went something like this:

Coppers: "Hadaway hyem!"

Scousers: "Yer what?"

Coppers: WALLOP! WALLOP! WALLOP!

I had to tell my copper mate to dial back using the word n***** to describe the rioters, because some of us had black mates. So maybe that's where the racism in Liverpool really was!

Incidentally, I didn't see any/many skinheads in the area at the time, except for elements of skinhead fashion incorporated into punk gear.

*I can hear you all saying, "Bloody hell, M-o-M, is there anywhere you don't claim a connection with?

12. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

It's interesting how black communities sprouted up in districts. The usual explanation is availability of cheap housing. Using Moss Side as an example, why Moss Side rather than say Salford or Collyhurst where rent was also cheap?
    In London was is pot luck that the early arrivals plumped for Brixton and Labroke Grove or were they encouraged to settle in certain areas by officials.

13. Soul Vision

Never seen this lovely pic of Otis before - club is in Farnborough apparently and he played there as well as Geno:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

This is what I wrote,regarding the Carousel Club,Farnborough.Not only Otis Redding,but Sam and Dave,Wilson Pickett etc.,etc.All the Major Names played there between `66 and `68(The Big C),it closed down that year.

15. Soul Vision

Oh yes you are right browniecj - I forgot the name from before. Interesting in this link below they say 'The club was run by Laurie O’Leary who had the Speakeasy Club in London, and close friend of the Kray Bothers.'.

http://www.historicfarnborough.co.uk/gallockermemories.html

Apparently it re-opened this year:

http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/local-news/carousel-club-swings-action-relive-8575921

16. Soul Vision

17. Soul Vision

18. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

That's Don Powell!

***runs and gets tin hat***

19. Soul Vision

20. Botolph

Botolph Senior member