1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. con man

con man Senior member

Bit confused by this Tom,
    Sounds to me you didn't much care for what you call, next wave Skinheads,
    By this, I take it, you mean Skinheads from 1980 on, of which I was one, I got into it in late 79, with the Two Tone thing.
    My brother was Skinhead around the same time as you and introduced me ito the Oi! Scene when he bought the Strength Thru Oi! LP/ Album
    The reason for my confusion is this, you say you were a Casual or Mod after 79 ( to be fair, you were the smartest of The 4Skins) yet you were playing in the band up until 83/84 ( correct me if I'm wrong,) I bought Fistfull of 4Skins which came out in 83, again, (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So that makes me, one of that so called next generation Skinheads after you and the point I'm making is, it strikes me that you kind of didn't like our lot, but you didn't mind taking our money off us! ( I guess, we were just a bunch of suckers, with no Idea of how to dress)

2. con man

con man Senior member

The chap on the left has got quite a close crop and is as scruffy as sin and they both have got tattoos, surely this is a photo of 80' s Skinheads is it not? Haha!!!

3. con man

con man Senior member

F

This Panther is a well known Chelsea fan,
    And a top decent bloke he is to boot and a right good laugh
    Met him on many occasions At Do's up and down the country

4. con man

con man Senior member

Another good post,
    My hair in 79 when i was 12 years old was between 1/2 inch (12mm) to 1 inch ( 25mm), I didn't really know the history of Skinheads from 10 years earlier and was basically following The Specials, Madness etc,
    We were called Rude Boys ( bit cringy, now looking back) Mods or Skinheads, obviously older lads, like my two Step brothers had more of a clue,
    As the 80's started, Two Tone died a death by 81, us who didn't turn Casual and follow the rest of the sheep, listening to Frankie Goes to Hollywood and other such chart shit, had no where else to turn and got into Oi! Our only source of info up in Stoke was Nick Knights Book or word of mouth, I remember looking at the drawings in the book of what was the Original look and wanting to aspire to that, but clothes wise you couldn't really get Jack Shit, Fred Perry from the catalogue, the only new Ben Shermans I could get here, were White or small Ginham but with no Button Down, so had to had my own, You could get Levi's and Wrangler, cheap imitation Crombies and Harringtons or MA1's as for boots either paratroopers or 14 hole Doc Martins,
    And you are right Royton Boy, I had never really thought about it before, but by 83, I was 16 and another generation of younger Mods had begun to appear and subconcioiosly I wanted to move away from that look and people calling me a Mod, I wanted to be defined as a Skinhead and Probably the same for others and that's why my hair got shorter and the whole look became more exaggerated.
    interestingly enough though, by the time 85 came along, I was 18, Oi! Was on the decline and there started a whole new era, with the Scooter scene and it became quite a big underground scene, with a diverse group of cults, ( Skinheads, Mods, Phscobillys Northern Soulies etc) could be in the same venues, I started then to tone down my look.
    for me, 85 to 93 were the best of times, with only The last ten years being as good and long may it last.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  5. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Absolutely not , just thought it fit in the dialogue appropriately.

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Yes.He has all of the characteristics and similar background in many ways to the original mods.Son of a Jewish tailor,working class peacock ,the cut of his suit dictating some of his dance style etc.More poignant to me is his choice of words and style of writing from a character we have grown to believe to be quite dark and sinister.He is able to capture and elevate the latent details and understanding that drives a "subculture" and separates a few from the many.

7. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Get your hair cut !
    ![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. TomMc666

TomMc666 Senior member

Happy to clarify, although I think this is printed somewhere else on the web, I'll try and dig it out..... I was a skinhead in 77, became a suedehead in early 78 and remained as one until around late 84 and became a casual. On the next wave, yeah there were some things that had crept in, in London, that I didnt like such as the glue sniffers, the facial tattoos, the almost baldheads, the politics and I didnt really like basic skinhead look that had/was developing. Did that mean that all,skinheads after 1980 were like that ? No it didnt and I've met many that are decent people over the years. However, from my experience in London, in 77-79, it went from a few hundred, mainly around the same age group with main thing being that you were a skinhead to the stage that by 79, a much more fragmented state existed where age, area, football and politics had a much great influence on who you hung about with and looked, in my opinion. In 79 I was 18, as were most of my mates, most of the next wave were younger and to be honest not sure why we would hang about with them, like in This is England, yet no doubt in some places that did happen.
    As for the band,I was never meant to be in it, as I wasnt a skinhead, it was just a temporary measure as a stand in guitarist and the first proper line up ended up with 2 skinheads, 1 suedehead and a rockabilly. And now for the main question you posed ! As for taking the money, when the band started,as a bit of a laugh, the audience was much more mixed but in later years it became mainly all skinhead and yes it was a different look. I didnt like the look of some but enjoyed the band and, as I said, met a lot of good people, regardless of their look. On the point of suckers and no idea to dress, I personally never thought of anyone as suckers and the popular idea of what a skinhead looked like had changed by 79, you could argue that I was clinging on to an old fashion! That's also one of the reasons I didn't want any part of reforming the band, it was a thing for when we were young and to me it all felt a bit of a rip off A bit like the same old tracks being rebundled every 5 minutes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    3 people like this.
  10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Seriously? Has anyone ever used auto-change on an LP and not had every second one give 'wow'?

11. Man-of-Mystery

Are you going to keep on saying that? :D :stirpot:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  12. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Well, I knew what she meant!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. Man-of-Mystery

Mum! Help! They're ganging up on me! :D

16. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

On the subject of vinyl records and LPs in particular, I do agree with some of Gsvs5's post about them being a possession. It was a great present to give or receive. I can still recall who bought me certain LPs and on what occasion. Similarly, I can recall going to certain shops to buy particular records, even how much they cost! Some of the covers were quite decorative and the sleeve information could be interesting, though this tended to be a later development. You could turn up at a party with particular records and make the night, which carried a bit of kudos. A few years ago I mounted some 7" discs that had particular memories and hung them in the office at work. Almost everyone who came in would look at them and start a conversation - you can't do that with an mp3 player!

Music seems so 'disposable' these days - you can listen to, own even, virtually any track from any era at next to no cost and as a result it has little 'value', either monetary or emotional.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    2 people like this.
  17. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Always good to have Roytonboy on your side in a scrap! Ha, us proper Northerners do like to stick together! ;)

1 person likes this.
  18. Man-of-Mystery

:butbut:

19. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I was just reading an item last week , that to date this year , vinyl sales are up 70% on what they sold for the whole of 2014 . So we have 2014 sales plus 70% in the space of 5 months . I suspect that , it isn't just old guys like me that are buying all that vinyl. .

As far as auto-change goes with LP's I'd agree with MoM but for me , I'd sometimes have better success with the 7" records because they often had the serrations near the label that helped them grip. .

20. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

The Lambert and Stamp film is now on release up and down the country , mainly in what might be called Art-house cinemas . It seems to be very good . .

[​IMG]

3 people like this.