1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Used to see some bulldog and Union Jack stuff around Bristol in about 78, 79. Not British nationalism or any shit like that, was the name of the local, very short lived speedway team. Two seasons at Eastville Stadium. Had to end, because they didn't have permanent planning permission for speedway apparently.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

You oughta knock that design out on t shirts!

1 person likes this.
  3. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Can we talk about GANT real quick? Did the Ivy Shop or Squire Shop carry any of it in the 60's? Do any of you originals recall GANT being worn?

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm almost certain there was supporters t-shirts, patches, lapel buttons, made with that design on them along with the words "BRISTOL BULLDOGS" Sure it was clear to most Bristolians, what it meant at the time.

I spend most of my time in China now, and a British bulldog with Union Jack design would probably sell very well here and not be objectionable to anyone. The Union Jack frequently features on clothing in the PRC :D ..."Cool Britannia" still lives on in the People's Republic... :slayer:

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

And nothing new about the image either.

[​IMG]

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

That name puts me in mind of things like "Happy Days". Although varsity type jackets and other "50s Americana" items seem to be very trendy now, here at least.

7. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Between the ages of roughly 12 to 13, the Fonz was a Demi God to me. I lived in cap sleeve T- Shirts and a black leatherette jacket. For my 12 birthday my treat was to be taken Stockcar Racing at Wimbledon Dog track- we missed the first 3 races because I wouldn't leave the house until I got my hair right.

1 person likes this.
  8. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

After the Jam released Setting Sons , circa 1979 , I recall the image of the Bulldog seemingly popping up everywhere , from scooter murals to the back of parkas etc , however , I think Weller would be shocked if he thought it equated to some sort of unsavoury British Nationalism despite the photo being iconic and British . .

[​IMG]

9. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Of course , the Bristol Bulldog was a famous aircraft built at the city before the war. .

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Perhaps the divide in what I said is cultural, I probably should have worded it differently in my initial post on the subject given a certain history of the term, but the union jack and british bulldog are inexplicably linked in my mind and associated with revival skins, wearing a union jack is an act of nationalism it seems it has become an ugly word but I don't consider the term as such.

11. northernsean

northernsean Member

[​IMG]

Saw this and loved the bowler hat on the pooch !! I can always remember the Bulldog being "adopted " as a status symbol in the late 70's , early 8o's when i was a bit younger - much the same as the chavs nowadays have adopted the staffie as a status symbol , along with their godawful fashion trends of tracksuits , hoodies , baseball caps and those hideous Nike Air Max trainers - i cringe as soon as i hear their whining "couldn't give a shit " drawl , asking " Hear , ye got 20 pence towards me last bus home ? " There's no hope left if that's the next generation of youth subculture [​IMG]

12. skinny legs

At least bulldogs are an indigenous to these Islands, unlike the Lion and Unicorn on our Coat of Arms. I've yet to encounter a unicorn in fifty years, and the only lions you'll find are in Whipsnade Safari Park

1 person likes this.
  13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Where are you, "Central California", USA? I know for sure, wearing or showing a union jack can certainly have different cultural meanings all depending on where you are in the world. It certainly doesn't mean an "act of nationalism" in China, that's for sure.... LOL

Wearing a Confederate flag in some parts of the US is not recommended and may get you into trouble.

It's like any kind of symbolism, some might be culturally sensitive, all depending on history a lot of the time. Wear a swastika in China, no problems at all, do the same in Germany, very likely get yourself arrested.

In 1979 during the period of revival skins, to me and probably many others in Bristol, UK, a bulldog with Union Jack meant speedway!! ...i.e. motorcycles racing round a dirt track.

EDIT:

This has given me the subject for English Corner tonight, symbolism and nationalism.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  14. Soul Vision

A local oi band in my neck of the woods even did a benefit show for their bulldog...

[​IMG]

15. Soul Vision

That's interesting, a year or so before he had stopped draping Union Jack flags over his amps for that same reason, great LP btw!

16. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Well , 1978 saw the release of Down In The Tube Station , a song which illustrates his view of unsavoury nationalists , that is probably what led to the removal of the flags . Sad really that certain right-wing types led to that , possibly. .

17. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

The song seems to suggest right wing = bad which is outlandish, perhaps he should have been more specific? by his logic he has no problem with me calling every"left-wing type" a communist and a marxist.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  18. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I think the problem is that nationalism and patriotism are seen by some as the same thing. Whereas one has to do with hate for what you're up against, the other has to do with love for what you're defending.
    One can certainly be a patriot while not being a nationalist.
    Regardless, I think we're getting a little off topic?

19. skinny legs

20. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Not to detract from the "Bulldog Vibe" of the Thread, but that's a Boxer.

4 people like this.