• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Basset

Reaction score

Thanks for all the replies to my question about mods and football. I’ve got another question. Now Judge Dread back in the sixties he was I believe a bouncer at mod clubs and also a debt collector for Trojan Records. Whether he was a skinhead in the original era I have no idea. But although there are conflicting dates he put out an EP “Last of the Skinheads” around 1976 I think that included the track “Bring Back the Skins” which is a bit of a skin nostalgia record harking back to the 69 period. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYQx3SJiAcY) I actually think the tune isn’t half bad although on the cover of the EP however he and his band sport some pretty dire boot boy clobber.

Now what I am wondering is did any of you originals hear this tune when it came out? If so did it make you cringe or were you happy the original movement had some recognition? And in the song he sings about getting the “Record Mirror” to check out the new releases – is that something original skins did – i.e. get the music press to check out the latest soul and reggae releases? And to any of you more revival era skins do you think it might have had any impact on kick-starting the comeback of the skinhead look etc?

Welcome. Judge Dread obviously influenced by Busters, Big 5, i cant say in 78 he came on my radar, his records may have been played at the fairground
but tbh i would have taken no notice, i was to busy trying to look up the girls skirts on the big wheel

catchourbreath

Reaction score
Italian FP always seems to be one step ahead the others, and they do their own models, very chic, that you don't find elsewhere. Always look at them when i'm in Italy. But they are usually very expensive. Japanese FP have their own style too, but they are not always that good. I've red/heard somewhere that the owner of FP is Japanese.
Years ago I got a 3 Button FP made by Merc to the old standards. Last time I went to the FP store in NY they told me the Japanese label is the only one still doing 3 Button Slim Fit Polos. Seems like the Japanese brand has a lot of more traditional styling at times.

Basset

Reaction score
Monkey boots, i think there okay, i dont own a pair, i may of had some in the early 70's but tbh i cant remember, would it be fair to say that they were popular, and at certain given times especialy so with people under a size 6? i say this because of the jnr Marten's boot having a different shape.

I dont recall any lads, from 78 onwards wearing them, but only in my little part of the world, i didn't even know where the other side of Bristol was, yet alone other citys and what was going on there.
They were very popular with girls at that time, usually worn with short skirts and tights, sometimes with little white ankle socks, or a pair of jeans, seeing a girl with Marten's on with a skirt just didn't look the same for me, and still doesn't, but thats just my personal preferance

Basset

Reaction score
I bought a pair of 8 eye Brown DM's roughly 15 years ago, the greasy leather kind. I eventually polished them with some oxblood polish and voila, they look amazing.

Cant say that im a fan of footwear with the greasy waxed finish.
I took a chance and bought these Loafers earlier in the year, they came in a brownish waxey finish.
Iv'e been steadily wearing them and polishing them oxblood, there coming along ok, but i dont think they will ever get the mirror shine, of some of my other shoes.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It's sure that for loafers or brogues, the greasy waxed finish is not nice at all. I would not grease Church's, AE, or Florsheim ! For DMs (that used to be cheap), well it depends of the taste and of the leather. The interesting thing with waxing/greasing is that it makes the shoes waterproof. So it depends of the purpose of the shoes/boots too.

Last edited:

Inks

Reaction score

I got this from a place called Hornets in Kensington last year. I was looking for a stingy brim for ages. The usual stuff you see about are a cheap and tacky affair, or the sort of thing a Hipster would wear to be ironic, usually seen worn further back on their head than a yarmulke. It's British made and no-nonsense, but they don't stock them anymore. Hornets is the type of gaff where TV antiques experts get their eclectic duds. I don't really suit flat caps, and I'm bald, so I'd thought I'd buy myself a decent titfer. Bloody hell, I didn't know it would be an open invitation for everyone in the world to make a comment. I'd like to know exactly when wearing anything other than a baseball cap, beanie, or flat cap became illegal outside of central London ?
Someone will drive past in a car and shout, "HAT !" out of the window. I could understand if I was wearing a big purple floppy 'pimp-hat' or a ridiculously tiny-brimmed porkpie, but it's just a 'hat' hat.

I effin love it though.

Basset

Reaction score
It's sure that for loafers or brogues, the greasy waxed finish is not nice at all. I would not grease Church's, AE, or Florsheim ! For DMs (that used to be cheap), well it depends of the taste and of the leather. The interesting thing with waxing/greasing is that it makes the shoes waterproof. So it depends of the purpose of the shoes/boots too.

I agree, personal preference always plays a part in peoples choices. When it comes to Marten's it's polish for me.
If i was to need a pair of waterproof boots/shoes, for whatever purpose, i just wouldn't buy Marten's

Gsvs5

Reaction score
My question is, why were Barbours never worn back in the Originals
00a9.png
days? I think that, with the right ensemble, they look pretty damned smart. Too "where's your flat cap and whippet?" looking?
I remember Rockers wearing Black Belstaff jackets more than Barbour back when I was a kid,so I imagine they had a dirty greaser tag.IMO waxed cotton didn't become mainstream street wear until the Sloane set adopted it.Now Belstaff is a high end Italian fashion brand and they have priced themselves accordingly.
My first one was a full length Driza Bone coat around 1980 and then a Stone coloured Barbour International about five or six years ago.Waxed cotton has to be one of the best fabrics around for the cold wet British climate and similar,and the most "Practical" foul weather jacket I ever owned.Sorry,but I've no idea what it has to do with this thread or how we got to this ?

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember Rockers wearing Black Belstaff jackets more than Barbour back when I was a kid,so I imagine they had a dirty greaser tag.IMO waxed cotton didn't become mainstream street wear until the Sloane set adopted it.Now Belstaff is a high end Italian fashion brand and they have priced themselves accordingly.
My first one was a full length Driza Bone coat around 1980 and then a Stone coloured Barbour International about five or six years ago.Waxed cotton has to be one of the best fabrics around for the cold wet British climate and similar,and the most "Practical" foul weather jacket I ever owned.Sorry,but I've no idea what it has to do with this thread or how we got to this ? 

Sorry to have steered things off topic but Barbour had been mentioned a few times prior to my question. I suppose I was seeking clarification -- which I got a couple pages back.

Taxi!!!!

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first one was a full length Driza Bone coat around 1980 and then a Stone coloured Barbour International about five or six years ago.Waxed cotton has to be one of the best fabrics around for the cold wet British climate and similar,and the most "Practical" foul weather jacket I ever owned.Sorry,but I've no idea what it has to do with this thread or how we got to this ?
I wouldnt have said that Rockers wore Belstaff jackets myself,it was more sensible motor cyclists using their bikes for work etc ( I worked with a couple of blokes like that in the 70s ).
We got onto Barbours because I asked advice on a winter jacket,but we are back on course again now.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I agree, personal preference always plays a part in peoples choices. When it comes to Marten's it's polish for me.
If i was to need a pair of waterproof boots/shoes, for whatever purpose, i just wouldn't buy Marten's
I polish my 1461, but grease my DM boots or MB that i tend to use now only in the rain, the snow, or the cold weather... They're OK for a city use IMO. Wouldn't use them if i lived in the countryside.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score

I wouldnt have said that Rockers wore Belstaff jackets myself,it was more sensible motor cyclists using their bikes for work etc ( I worked with a couple of blokes like that in the 70s ).
We got onto Barbours because I asked advice on a winter jacket,but we are back on course again now.

Yes,I should probably have said bikers.i think my dad used a Post Office rubberized cotton Mac when on the Royal Enfield.I would say Mods were less concerned with practicality than style.having said that,my bro in law was an early 60's mod,and he wore a heavy shiny black plastic Mac that was apparently very popular early on?

harrysgame

Reaction score

Chugging is about right. It's slower work than I thought it would be, but we'll get there eventually.

As for mods at football matches - football has always been a part of urban life in the UK. A Blackpool mod I knew, Steve Harrison, went on to play for his home town team...

... and in 1968, when I first went into the Savoy Rooms in Catford, the DJ would play Let's Go or Liquidator loads of blokes would clap along and yell out "Millwall!" I know I've mentioned this before.

Liquidator didnt come out untill 1969. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics