• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I'll make this a reply about the way things were 'back in the day' from my recollection, so there'll be no 'abuse and contrary arguments' involved.

Back then there was plenty of resentment in the UK directed at immigrants. When Idi Amin expelled anyone of South Asian heritage from Uganda, it seemed a lot of them had nowhere to go except the UK. Going 'back' to India was not necessarily an option, as they had mostly been born and brought up in Uganda. Those arriving in the UK were met by several small but noticeably noisy protests.

The National Front was just starting up, Enoch Powell had given his 'Like the Roman' speech (often mis-called the 'Rivers of blood' speech), there was open talk of 'repatriation'. There was also the usual reaction of "... coming over here and taking our jobs..." and "... coming over here looking for a free ride..." I recall a stand-up comic on BBC Light Programme's Workers' Playtime cracking a joke about an Indian immigrant falling off the gangplank as he disembarked, landing in the water, and shouting the only two words of English he knew - "National Assistance!". So the concept of a 'free ride' was alive and well back in those days.
FTR: what I stated was not intended as a racist jibe - the people I alluded to tend to be white - and was in the context of the racial discrimination (in the film) that thrived in the USA.

Perhaps someone with the know-how to do so, could remove the post if people are offended.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Small details: check out the bloke sitting on the steps, and the bloke leaning against the railings.

Yes I saw them,M-o-M.I was wondering if they were outside of the group photographed from Borehamwood.There is a difference in Style.

Inks

Reaction score
I did not know about his Stepson,but that is the same Dave Courtney.He was a kid,when the Krays were put inside.
He did the security at Ronald Kray's funeral apparently. I think that's why drunks want to talk to me about them. Basically, I need to lose weight. Before I put on a load of timber, people said I looked like Woody Harelson in Natural Born Killers. Not exactly a compliment either, but at least I didn't have to wear a disguise when I went south of the river. Someone shouted 'Terry Tibbs' at me a couple of months ago. I had to look it up. Cheeky git.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore the bloody things-and so did many,many others.
How many time has it been said now ? TBH I don't think that some people are interested in the truth unless it agrees with what they want to hear...if they want to think that only birds wore monkey boots and all the blokes wore bleached jeans rolled up to their knees or anything else why worry ? you know what you saw as do the rest of us alive in Britain then,let the fantasists carry on with their ideas...its just funny IMO.

harrysgame

Reaction score

Haha I  wonder who came up with all the "meanings" in the first place ? Problem is that just up the road the laces have a different "meaning"..
I remember that you have said that you prefer a rubber sole for the Boston winters,maybe a Monkey boot is something you could try ?...they are a cheap experiment even if you don't like them.

Of all the places talking about skinheads on the net id have bet that you lot would never bring laces colour and so called meanings into it. I thought you lot wernt gullible like some people on the net.

Guess we can all be proven wrong. :brick:

harrysgame

Reaction score
For some reason every time i make a post it goes on twice. Annoying|

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of all the places talking about skinheads on the net id have bet that you lot would never bring laces colour and so called meanings into it. I thought you lot wernt gullible like some people on the net.

Guess we can all be proven wrong. :brick:

I'm pretty sure his tongue was planted firmly in cheek when posting the above"lacial profiling".

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always wince when race / politics comes up on this thread

You're not alone, but in '69 we didn't live in a vacuum - there were race issues and there was politics. The subjects can't be avoided, but neither should they be made central issues.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore the bloody things-and so did many,many others.

Exactly! Saying they're birds' boots is like saying Ben Shermans are birds' clothes because girls wore them, or braces are birds' clothes because some girls wore them, and so on.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FTR: what I stated was not intended as a racist jibe - the people I alluded to tend to be white - and was in the context of the racial discrimination (in the film) that thrived in the USA.

Perhaps someone with the know-how to do so, could remove the post if people are offended.

Nobody's offended, as far as I know, Ed. I replied with a comment about how things were in '69 simply to show that similar issues were around back then.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobody's offended, as far as I know, Ed. I replied with a comment about how things were in '69 simply to show that similar issues were around back then.

I know Lasttye`s Mob had problems with Black Youths(mainly to do with Girls-isn`t always),but Race never came into it when visiting Clubs.I went into "The Roaring Twenties" and "The Limbo" mainly on my own or just with somebody.If it was going to be trouble it would mostly be with other Skinheads.

baggycasual

Reaction score
Just an observation from a couple of pages back re Barbour. They are very common among anglers (fishermen to me and you) these days, especially with those fishing private or club stretches of water. They are bought for their overriding quality and practicality. They may seem slightly pricey but they can last for literally decades. My dad still regrets the one he threw away years ago which could have been re oiled/waxed (he's got another now anyway circa £200).

The only other people I see wearing them are plastic football hooligans who look like twats. Wearing a Barbour as a fashion item down the high street is a definite no-no.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics