• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

flyfronted

Reaction score
I think that kind of look could become a race to the bottom ( the old guy in the pink hat wins so far ) where people can end up looking like an explosion in a charity shop if they arent careful.
Surely the 3 blokes in the suits are just annoying male model types though,just a bit too flashy dressed ( for me anyway ).
Maybe its the sunny climate there ( as Clouseau said ) versus the damp climate here ( as Mr Knightley said ) that give us different tastes ?

im in the Italian camp - the top pic looks like a solicitor

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im in the Italian camp - the top pic looks like a solicitor

I have seen other Italian looks that I preferred but that's just me.
I like the blazer and flannels,its quite versatile could wear a John Smedley type shirt with it or POW trousers instead...I have got a couple of blazers but I would like a 3 button patch pocket one.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My original comments were sparked by this post from Browniecj.The word "inspiration" is critical.what you can not forget is that the Italian guys I focused on are prominent retailers promoting their "look".As models on a catwalk,it can seem a little contrived and overdone,but it's hard to ignore.
J Simon is promoting his Duffer Cap style,and the only thing missing is an Evening Standard newspaper bag.Totally sad and forgettable.

Yes I thought that Browniecj made a good point and I am glad that you took it up...it has started a good debate which is what a forum should be about ( IMO ).
Really what is being discussed is how we can still look stylish as we get older ( and hopefully use elements of our favourite "look" ) of course the first thing that you have to admit is that you are older and getting even older...but as Browniecj says that doesn't have to mean "pipe and slippers".
You have to be careful M-o-M mentioned today about too many old blokes wearing dodgy jeans..but with a bit of thought and some "inspiration" we will not end up looking like J Simon or the old chap in the pink hat.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
About Mc Dermott post. Blazer and flannel, and jacket and polo neck are two classic looks i really appreciate, and very suedehead style.,Not too formal but smart....

Basset

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but im struggling with a lot thats been said on here of late, if i was gonna ' knock it in the head' as regards to my own style,
i'd look at the pics of the italians and draw inspiration from that, as opposed to some of the other general rubbish thats been talked of, i could make some more points, but tbh i've done that and cant be arsed.

Im off to iron me ruperts, i might even get some stacks, even thou i dont really like them, otherwise it's a world of dull grey, boring, sensible clothing

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but im struggling with a lot thats been said on here of late, if i was gonna ' knock it in the head' as regards to my own style,
i'd look at the pics of the italians and draw inspiration from that, as opposed to some of the other general rubbish thats been talked of, i could make some more points, but tbh i've done that and cant be arsed.

Im off to iron me ruperts, i might even get some stacks, even thou i dont really like them, otherwise it's a world of dull grey, boring, sensible clothing

I think that you are underestimating the depth and versatility of grey...the book says that there are fifty shades of it ! can you imagine that? from charcoal grey through to dove grey.
Tomorrow I am taking the GF out for the day,i will wear medium grey hounds tooth check trousers,a light grey Hugo Boss shirt,if its cold I will wear my dark grey pea coat,black shoes of course.
I don't think that grey has to be dull or boring if it is worn with style and and an English attitude,remember that at least half the days in the year here are grey and we don't complain about that do we ?

Basset

Reaction score
I think that you are underestimating the depth and versatility of grey...the book says that there are fifty shades of it ! can you imagine that? from charcoal grey through to dove grey.
Tomorrow I am taking the GF out for the day,i will wear medium grey hounds tooth check trousers,a light grey Hugo Boss shirt,if its cold I will wear my dark grey pea coat,black shoes of course.
I don't think that grey has to be dull or boring if it is worn with style and and an English attitude,remember that at least half the days in the year here are grey and we don't complain about that do we ?
Have a nice day, seeing as you've quoted my post with some questions i'll try to answer them.
Fifty shades of grey, can i imagine it, yes, i've looked at the suits in M&S, boring.
The weather, i work outside quite a bit, in general it's rubbish, i complain about it all the time, and if i was gonna do it on the net, i'd go on a weather site.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
kind of stuff i usually wear :

navy blazer charcoal flannels, well polished shoes. nothing fancy

Nicely cut Blazer.Do you ever get taken as being Old Bill McDermott?

Basset

Reaction score
Blazers, probably one of my favourite items of clothing, very versatile, dress it up or down, always looks smart, imo

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Sorry ,but I have no intention of sidetracking this thread,only discussing relevent points and possibilities.As someone who has spent a few years (8) owning a menswear business ,I admire,aand understand the difficulties that face the small independent operator.Fo the likes of J Simon to still be alive and kicking in retail is both surprising (to me) and admirable.My original thoughts were how boring his operation now seems in this day and age compared to a somewhat similar Italian retailer.I think you could probably get anything J Simon sells elsewhere and cheaper,if that matters.
As someone who was clearly a driving force ,once upon a time,I can't help but think how interesting he could have continued to be if he had pursued a 'private label' business?
Imagine a choice of Crombie style coats in numerous different fabrics and colors.Linen,Suede,Cashmere Harringtons?Corduroy Jeans in every colour of Gelato? BD's again in different fabrics unique to him.Not easy,but just a thought...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have to be careful M-o-M mentioned today about too many old blokes wearing dodgy jeans..but with a bit of thought and some "inspiration" we will not end up looking like J Simon or the old chap in the pink hat.

1) I'm regularly the most stylish bloke of my age on the streets of Perth, and

2) that isn't saying much!

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I'm regularly the most stylish bloke of my age on the streets of Perth, and

2) that isn't saying much!
1) Well done !
2) Sounds like Perth is much like Bristol ( and the rest of the country I suspect ),its all a bit sad.
3) You said that you would get back to posting longer posts,you should ( IMO ).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry ,but I have no intention of sidetracking this thread,only discussing relevent points and possibilities.As someone who has spent a few years (8) owning a menswear business ,I admire,aand understand the difficulties that face the small independent operator.Fo the likes of J Simon to still be alive and kicking in retail is both surprising (to me) and admirable.My original thoughts were how boring his operation now seems in this day and age compared to a somewhat similar Italian retailer.I think you could probably get anything J Simon sells elsewhere and cheaper,if that matters.
As someone who was clearly a driving force ,once upon a time,I can't help but think how interesting he could have continued to be if he had pursued a 'private label' business?
Imagine a choice of Crombie style coats in numerous different fabrics and colors.Linen,Suede,Cashmere Harringtons?Corduroy Jeans in every colour of Gelato? BD's again in different fabrics unique to him.Not easy,but just a thought...

Maybe its not the fabrics and colours that want a change but some of the styles ? ( still trying to imagine a cashmere Harrington though).

McDermott

Reaction score
I have seen other Italian looks that I preferred but that's just me.
I like the blazer and flannels,its quite versatile could wear a John Smedley type shirt with it or POW trousers instead...I have got a couple of blazers but I would like a 3 button patch pocket one.

Should point out everything I wear there both in terms of silhouette style and wear it is made is 100% Italian. Italian style does not correlate to what those guys are doing. I dont mind Bright tie, shirt pochette etc, but these guys take it too far ? Pochette, scarf to match, a hat in the same shade, some pair of sunglasses to pick up the hue in your tie. Where does it end...thats when the clothes stop being serious.
About Mc Dermott post. Blazer and flannel, and jacket and polo neck are two classic looks i really appreciate, and very suedehead style.,Not too formal but smart....
Always dressed like that. Of course if i have a shirt made its a 3/4 finger collar, back button full pleat etc but as your style develops well for me its now also ivy league shirts, 2 button jackets, flannels etc.All part of the same thing in my eyes.

Like I say, if I were to knock it on the head not much would change - Turnups from jeans would disappear, trousers would get longer, shirts would be more Ivy styled...basically the older guys (most of them) on this thread. I agree re : thread going off on one but then again we cant always talk strictly 68-72 or things would get boring. Sometimes I like to see the guys here talking about things still somewhat in context but that often appears to make people remember stuff or ask more questions.
I wear ruperts as well as loud tonics, parallels, etc. Clothing needent be boring and grey, just not too far the other way..

Nicely cut Blazer.Do you ever get taken as being Old Bill McDermott?

No. too young.... Often as the other side of that camp though, like some sort of Mobster henchman. (or so i like to imagine)
mwink[1].gif

Basicallly what I would love to accomplish. I like J.Simons but I agree Overpriced and generally 'safe'. Takes no risks or pushes things. people would argue thats Ivy but Ive alwalys loved the idea to get stuff made not commonly available. He does do a few shirts, but even then..

Maybe its not the fabrics and colours that want a change but some of the styles ? ( still trying to imagine a cashmere Harrington though).
No..I think it works because the items we like are classics that descend time, bar the obvious stuff but even then ruperts could be worn in such a way to update them if you catch my drift. Barracuta did a cashmere one

In a grey,brown navy etc. I'd wear it, but wouldnt have bought it for the money. But I think theres a market in that sort of stuff. Taking the classics and updating them. What would a skinhead wear, If he won the lottery ?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should point out everything I wear there both in terms of silhouette style and wear it is made is 100% Italian. Italian style does not correlate to what those guys are doing. I dont mind Bright tie, shirt pochette etc, but these guys take it too far ? Pochette, scarf to match, a hat in the same shade, some pair of sunglasses to pick up the hue in your tie. Where does it end...thats when the clothes stop being serious.
Always dressed like that. Of course if i have a shirt made its a 3/4 finger collar, back button full pleat etc but as your style develops well for me its now also ivy league shirts, 2 button jackets, flannels etc.All part of the same thing in my eyes.

Like I say, if I were to knock it on the head not much would change - Turnups from jeans would disappear, trousers would get longer, shirts would be more Ivy styled...basically the older guys (most of them) on this thread. I agree re : thread going off on one but then again we cant always talk strictly 68-72 or things would get boring. Sometimes I like to see the guys here talking about things still somewhat in context but that often appears to make people remember stuff or ask more questions.
I wear ruperts as well as loud tonics, parallels, etc. Clothing needent be boring and grey, just not too far the other way..

No. too young.... Often as the other side of that camp though, like some sort of Mobster henchman. (or so i like to imagine)
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

Basicallly what I would love to accomplish. I like J.Simons but I agree Overpriced and generally 'safe'. Takes no risks or pushes things. people would argue thats Ivy but Ive alwalys loved the idea to get stuff made not commonly available. He does do a few shirts, but even then..

No..I think it works because the items we like are classics that descend time, bar the obvious stuff but even then ruperts could be worn in such a way to update them if you catch my drift. Barracuta did a cashmere one

In a grey,brown navy etc. I'd wear it, but wouldnt have bought it for the money. But I think theres a market in that sort of stuff. Taking the classics and updating them. What would a skinhead wear, If he won the lottery ?

I did say that the "Milanese" look was too much for me ( although I think that the guys in the first pictures looked smart),so I agree with you there.
When I said that I liked the blazer and flannels I did mean your pictures.
I also agree when you mention the matching accessories,i actually said "over accessorised" ( not sure if that's a word though ? ).
Personally I now prefer my shirt collars a two finger.
As for the thread going off course,people keep saying that but not too many commented on the monkey boot pictures I put up so if it goes off course so what ? it does come back again eventually ( well so far anyway ).
The blazer /flannels look is a classic IMO not just the coppers / squaddies image as some people say.
Now you have put up that picture of that Baracuta, I remember seeing a similar Paul Smith one at Bicester,not too sure about it really.
Funny that you should ask that about winning the lottery,because I was thinking about all my clothes and shoes the other day and wondering if my place burnt down what I would buy to replace it all ( remembering that most of us probably have some old stuff that you cant get now) would be able to get a whole new look ?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads