• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
Well there was full employment and things were getting better. 'You've never had it so good' as MacMillan pointed out.

You could still walk through Harlesden at night without getting mugged. Some skinheads looked for 'aggro'. Others saw it more as a fashion/music thing. Guns and knives were not commonplace.

I know Harlesden very well, Someone has put a pic of the Willseden mob on this thread, I recognise half of them.. the lad in the maroon top had the nick name Rosco, the photo is taken in Church Street, Willesden cant remember the pub.
Being a skinhead back then.. you could not just walk into any area on your own, if you was caught doing so you would get a kicking, We went everywhere firm handed, By 71, I think most of us had enough of getting nicked and hurt, I for one started going out with a smaller group, Lads i meet at work, We would go to clubs all over London, Got to know former enemies, There was still violence but on a much smaller scale, except at football where is was still wacky.

Just noticed what you sad about Guns and Knives, Most of us carried knives, and they was used very often, Regarding guns, When they made the documentary about us they interviewed the police, and they said they believed we had guns put away, this was not true, If we could of got hold of them , i am sure they would have been used.
I was out with some of my original skinheads mates last xmas eve, we was drinking in a Kilburn pub, talking about our teenage years, I said i was Traumatised by some of the things i witnessed, they agreed.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
I think I know the kind of hairstyle you mean (I've seen a couple of photos of Skinhead Girls from the '60's with short hairstyles (under 2") but not extreme (done with clippers) like the lads - the photos were quite early, before the media-encouraged influx of later '69).

Were these jumpers? Fluffy like mohair (jumpers not suits) or shorter pile?

They was crew neck, Think you are right Little Queenie, Fluffy or i would say hairy, They was very popular at the time.
They would be worn with mohair mini skirts, The Girls would get the material and make them up,

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Just noticed what you sad about Guns and Knives, Most of us carried knives, and they was used very often, Regarding guns, When they made the documentary about us they interviewed the police, and they said they believed we had guns put away, this was not true, If we could of got hold of them , i am sure they would have been used.
I was out with some of my original skinheads mates last xmas eve, we was drinking in a Kilburn pub, talking about our teenage years, I said i was Traumatised by some of the things i witnessed, they agreed.

I think, sometimes, when you're caught up in something it just becomes what you do and it's only with the perspective of time that you fully appreciate what you were in the middle of.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
I think, sometimes, when you're caught up in something it just becomes what you do and it's only with the perspective of time that you fully appreciate what you were in the middle of.
Every Boy and Girl was a Skinhead in the 60s, If you was not one ..then you may as well not existed, I know many a lad who was a reluctant skinhead, I for one was a full on Skinhead, I was a gang member and still proud of the fact all these years later, I loved every minute of it. Although the Country was a **** hole. Many of us are still paying the price for being a Skinhead back then. Many a life was ruined and even lost. I know from talking to Skinheads at present day doos is was similar for them.

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
at 0:51 seconds, it shows skinheads. What year would this be? This video also shows some skinhead girls(very brief though).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Difficult to judge, but by the white guy's shirt and hairstyle I would say late '69, early '70 more probably.

That clip is from outside the Reggae festival at Wembley in 1970.

A nice clip of the Pyramids (AKA Symarip) at said festival...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

KD-fens

Reaction score
Wondering, is this more like the haircut the girls had back then? Going off that one description posted earlier

tumblr_lb21heJmKQ1qc2qfdo1_500.jpg

can't say I'm a fan if it is.

Also, any of you fellows into Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KD-fens
Wondering, is this more like the haircut the girls had back then? Going off that one description posted earlier

tumblr_lb21heJmKQ1qc2qfdo1_500.jpg

That looks a little bit like it if it had 'grown out'. Imagine it shorter on top, and the fringe cut round in an arch. Split the difference between this look and the extreme 'crop-plus-whispy-bits' that revival skinhead girls wear/wore and you get it.

The rest of her gear is pretty authentic.

However, girls in '69 would wear paler lisptick, mascara, and usually blue eye-shadow. That's how I remember it.

Cutting across to the thing about knives etc, I can only speak about the area south of the Thames - draw a line from New Cross through Lewisham and Catford to Bromley - but I never knew anyone going round 'tooled up'. Any trouble was always dealt with with bare fists.

If you do the maths and remember that I'm 60 now, by the way, you can work out my age at the time.

1967 when I got into the northern mod thing - 16 to 17;
1968 when I moved to London - 17 to 18
1969 the heyday of skinheads - 18 to 19
1970 skinhead to suedehead to general fade -out - 19 to 20, so it was about time I left the scene anyway...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Roy. I saw you posted your samurais in this thread
worship.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=503

those cords are really cool, I'd never seen Samurai do corduroys before. I'm sure you told me before but I forget what the answer was, did you go to Japan and get them yourself or did you have someone send them to you from there?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
1970 skinhead to suedehead to general fade -out - 19 to 20, so it was about time I left the scene anyway...

do you know if any of the originals got back into the scene during the late 70s/early 80s Oi years? When you watch This is England, the character Combo says he is an "original skinhead from 1969"....wondering how accurate that is, if 69 era guys were still skinheads by 81 (or got back into it). I'd NEVER heard of such a thing, but there's a lot i've never heard!!
smile.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont know about the Girls pic, If it was a grown out feather look, the top would still be shorter than the sides ?, It just looks like the girl has combed it to look like a skinhead girl ??
Hard to make the suit out, because she has arms crossed, the lapels look a bit wide to me, This suit may well be a suit worn in a present day office.

Regarding the girls nose piercing, the only piercing in the 60s was a Girls ears, One for each ear. Boys never had earrings, Boys did start to have one ear pierced around 72?73 Copying David Essex, and Bowie, Which was way after the Skinheads.

I find it so strange to see present day Skinheads with multiple piercing, I think most are second generation, or ex punks.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Roy. I saw you posted your samurais in this thread
worship.gif
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=503 those cords are really cool, I'd never seen Samurai do corduroys before. I'm sure you told me before but I forget what the answer was, did you go to Japan and get them yourself or did you have someone send them to you from there?

Its a long story how i got them Jason.. and i will PM You with the details, I did not buy them in Japan, But got them sent to me from Japan. As you know with Samurai.. many of their stuff is limited production, The Cords came in Beige, Grey and Mid Blue, All Skinhead Colours, I tried to get the Grey but they had sold out. The cut is 100% 60s Skinhead, I was so lucky to get them. Another pair i also have are copies of 60s Lee Jeans.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
do you know if any of the originals got back into the scene during the late 70s/early 80s Oi years? When you watch This is England, the character Combo says he is an "original skinhead from 1969"....wondering how accurate that is, if 69 era guys were still skinheads by 81 (or got back into it). I'd NEVER heard of such a thing, but there's a lot i've never heard!!
smile.gif

I hadn't heard of anyone, beside my own resurrecting some of my old gear. By 81 most of us were well married and had kids. Oh joy.

(I didn't meet my wife until I was 34
smile.gif
)

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Someone has put a pic of the Willseden mob on this thread, I recognise half of them.. the lad in the maroon top had the nick name Rosco, the photo is taken in Church Street, Willesden cant remember the pub.
Hi Roy good to see you around here, this thread is slowly attracting all the original kids from all places (Kingstonian from Filmnoirbuff I presume? If so, hi!)
smile.gif
Do you also know the ones nicknamed as Sly Fry (next to Roscoe in the colour pic of Church Street), Mole or the West-Indian lad Pudding, all in the Church Street pic in front of the White Horse? Their names was posted in the original source of the picture, thought they had some interesting nicknames (Sly Fry and Pudding especially).
Originally Posted by bunty
Hello all, really enjoyed reading all the posts, esp MOM. Never posted anything before so please excuse me if this appears in the wrong place/thread whatever...just a few, wont use that effing term 'random' , little things....my brother was born in 1947 and went thro' all the looks, lucky bleeder, he mentions a few things that i don't know if you have discussed yet... Re hard mod/peanut look for boys about 66-68...in Waltham Cross, North LOndon Riders/ jodphur boots v neck jumpers with no shirt underneath (how uncouth!) cable knit mustard coloured sleeveless jumpers long sleeved ben shermans worn with cuff turned back once monkey boots or work boots, def not dm's and the killer is a leather usaaf flying jacket, collared, black or brown as worn by Steve Mcqueen in The Great Escape (this idea was nicked from the mile end crew) thin braces in 67 monkey jackets (called beach boy/surfer jackets) plain white t shirts with levis and..wait for it..white trainers!! ( woolworths, dunlops or Gola/adidas) Hair - short, parted, 'mod' side hairy bits. Rainmacs, not trenchcoats Sheepskins - stayed 'in' right thro to early 70's Scooters - no lights/mirrors/side panels even !!! little tinkers! Thin, wool, collared, long sleeved 'polo' shirts. Sorry, just typed this out without any fore thought to layout..hope it's of interest to somebody...
Funny you mentioned the Mile End mob (wasn't it so that Leather usaaf flight jackets could only be bought in Brixton around '68?), Bunty, they got mentioned recently in the article about the South London Mods and on the same site but an older article (that was more focused on the gang side of Mods) also mentioned a few other mod crews including Somers Town, also got mentioned here, interesting to see them still going strong into the skinhead era. Anyone knows if the other mod crews mentioned where still around back then? The Highbury mob, The Mars (Blackstock Road), Elephant and Castle and The Archway mob on which the author himself was part off?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
loempiavreter;4100848 said:
Hi Roy good to see you around here, this thread is slowly attracting all the original kids from all places (Kingstonian from Filmnoirbuff I presume? If so, hi!)
smile.gif

Do you also know the ones nicknamed as Sly Fry (next to Roscoe in the colour pic of Church Street), Mole or the West-Indian lad Pudding, all in the Church Street pic in front of the White Horse? Their names was posted in the original source of the picture, thought they had some interesting nicknames (Sly Fry and Pudding especially).

Hi loempiavreter yes also good to see you on here mate, just feeling me way around,
I had a idea it was the White Heart, was not 100% sure... as you look at the pic where Fudges the Cycle shop is, there is another pub on the Roundabout, i always thought that was the WH, Their was always a Disco there on Saturday,
You have reminded me of one Lad, I lived over Stonebridge Park for 10 months in 67, then we moved back to Kilburn, I was friends with one of the Frys, cannot remember his first name,
Regarding Roscoe He was Deaf and Dumb if i recall.
The Willesden was our enemy but it never really came to blows, their was respect between the two mobs, In saying that the Kilburn Aggro mob was about four times bigger in Numbers.
Most the Willesden came off a estate called Curzon Crescent , It was notorious in the 60s, the name has been changed now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics