1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Interesting to see in this pic (I think it has been on before) that female skinhead styles also had a bit of variation. You had the short dresses and more feminine look and a more loose fitting 'butch' look you see here - I'm guessing the latter wasn't that prevalent (?)

Chelsea vs QPR. 1970

[​IMG]

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

That pictures at a football match ( Chelsea) girls wouldn't wear a dress to football,they still don't.

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Not that many girls went to football, in my recollection. Sometimes you could get away with taking a girl to a match as a 'date'. The last time I took a girl to a match she was wearing well-fitting Levis and a sheepskin.

PS. Yeah, I know this is a genuine picture, but I never, ever actually saw a girl in braces myself.

PPS. Transatlantic translation: Brit 'braces' = US 'suspenders'; Brit 'suspenders' = US 'garter belt'. Deal with it! :D

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I'm sure I've seen Ruth Davidson in braces(galluses) a couple of times . .[​IMG]

In fact , is that her in that picture . .

5. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

You could always try "patronising " lingo , that's if you understand the English language. .

6. Man-of-Mystery

[​IMG]

7. Man-of-Mystery

[​IMG]

8. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Not the classic English Rose look purveyed by the Chelsea girls. Turn up late for a date and they'd kick your head in.

1 person likes this.
  9. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Girls did wear braces but for the same reason as the lads - to get their jeans or trousers to hang right but, as with the lads, they weren't often on show, usually worn underneath a v-neck pullover which would be long or short sleeved according to when it was. The open cardigan, braces showing look was not popular in the north west of England for lads or girls.

Cerneabbas states that girls would not wear dresses for football and he is spot on. I would say that during the skinhead period the girls look varied more than the lads in that the girls would wear Levis and Wranglers and later tonik trousers on the street, or for football but would make a big effort to get dressed up in a dress or skirt and blouse (usually a BD shirt but lace blouses were also popular) to go out at night. The lads would wear Levis even to go to a club, the only concession being that brogues would usually be worn rather than boots. Whether this was something limited to our locality I can't say but that famous clip of the skinhead girl in a dress dancing springs to mind - the lads in the same place are mostly wearing jeans.

1 person likes this.
  10. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Rewinding to the Quadrophenia chatter, according to Phil Daniels book, during filming Roger Daltry was constantly whinging that not enough of the extras were wearing white Levi's- don't know the inns and outs but that was his search for authenticity bugbear.
    Love the scene with John Bindon as the gangster. When he shakes Jimmys hand in the pub have a look at the size difference between their paws. I saw Bindon a few times round and about the Kings Rd in the 80s, and he was a physical presence all right. One of the hardest men in London, all be it a bit of a bully.

11. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Yes , moderation is a great thing . .

12. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Like this? (next to the end on the right)

[​IMG]

13. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Yes , Peter Fenton (Gary Cooper) looked more of an Ace than the Stinger , whereas , Toyah looked more like a Punk , perhaps . .

14. Man-of-Mystery

To be honest, the majority of birds I knew who wore jeans wore them well-fitted and didn't seem to need braces.

15. Man-of-Mystery

Sounds like my old friend 'Killer', bless her heart. :)

16. Man-of-Mystery

Again, to be honest - and bearing in mind that this is a much-doctored image - although that's much closer to the type of coat than Sting's, the way he's wearing it it seems to just hang off him.

In fact that whole line-up is just so fcuking contrived. I can almost hear the photographer, who no doubt has in his mind some sneering, punky stereotype of 'yoof', saying:

"Okay, more attitude... more belligerence darlings... oh yah... oh yah, that's it... give me aggression... oh yah!"

What they missed out of that picture was the cool poise. Totally.

And Toyah, bless her heart, was just plain damned wrong throughout. Miscast.

17. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

They were probably that bit older and so had a bit more idea how to dress. Most skinhead girls I knew at the time were only 14 or 15 - it's the old 'style' versus 'fashion' debate. Even today I see teenage girls who follow the latest fashion and probably have no idea that they look awful, whereas some look good because they have a better idea of what to wear for their body shape and colouring - Oooh, I'm turning into Mr. Royton, the stylist!

2 people like this.
  18. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Peter Fenton (Gary Cooper) had some nice suits but I always thought his hair do was a bit suss - bit too Spandau Balletesque...

Speaking of the film came accross this - Sting (who I also thought was miscast - I think I read somewhere it took ages for them to teach him how to 'mod dance' yet even in the movie he looked very stiff 'out on the floor') must have been too busy with his tantric sex or counting his money![​IMG]

"Gary at the 30th anniversary Quadrophenia Convention in Brighton, April 2008. From left to right: Trevor Laird, Toyah Wilcox, Phil Davies, some bloke that isn't Sting, Phil Daniels, Gary Shail, Garry Cooper, Mark Wingett, John Altman"

http://www.vespa.org.uk/gary-shail-interview.htm

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  19. Man-of-Mystery

:D

20. Man-of-Mystery

Phil Daniels has a bloody picture in the attic!