• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Id bet the whole collection in the Ivy was 1960's Ivy - brand spanking new in amazing pastel colours .. that window just looks like old blokes clobber ( i like most of it myself but then im a old bloke not a 16 year old looking in at brand new treasure )
come on now the pendletons are for everyone.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have a look on the BBC website,The scene that never died,explained it pretty well I thought.....whereabouts in Bristol are you from originally Mike ?

Spent most of my life in Kingswood, mainly around Two Mile Hill. I'm originally born in Kendal, Cumbria, but my father decided to move family to Brstol in about1972.

So where was my summer holiday this year.... BRISTOL!!! ...via Hohhot, Beijing, Zhengzhou, Pindingshan, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong.....Lot's of planes and trains...same again next year.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A skinhead barber?
601998_10151660685756889_1012088351_n.jpg
Haha....that looks like our school regulation haircut notice. Yes the school I teach at actually has haircut regulations. I'll post a pic.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Id bet the whole collection in the Ivy was 1960's Ivy - brand spanking new in amazing pastel colours .. that window just looks like old blokes clobber ( i like most of it myself but then im a old bloke not a 16 year old looking in at brand new treasure )

That is what I mean.I look in "Gentlemens Outfitters" and see the same dressing.I may be an old bloke-not a 16 year old,but I still want to be inspired by what I see.It is still about looking for treasure,that is why there is a lot of discussion on here about various Shops,Designs etc.,etc.It does not mean you are 60, so you are now into "Pipes and Slippers". Certainly not me.:)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is what I mean.I look in "Gentlemens Outfitters" and see the same dressing.I may be an old bloke-not a 16 year old,but I still want to be inspired by what I see.It is still about looking for treasure,that is why there is a lot of discussion on here about various Shops,Designs etc.,etc.It does not mean you are 60, so you are now into "Pipes and Slippers". Certainly not me.
smile.gif

I still get enjoyment from buying clothes and shoes,one of the reasons that I joined styleforum.
I agree with you about wanting something different to boring "old blokes" pipe and slippers type image.
Any reason to add to my wardrobe is a good one,this weeks heavy rain has given me the opportunity to search for an umbrella like I used to carry,a brown or tan showerproof coat/jacket,and to speed up my purchase of a pair of brown brogues or brogue boots with a Dainite sole ( sorry about that mate ).

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Inspiration.......

Al Bazzar Milan

J Simon London

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably the closest we have to a 'John Simons' up here:

http://www.oipolloi.com/

I've used Oi Polloi the last couple times I've been in Manchester. Great shop. Their online shop is dynamite, too and great customer service as well.
There's certainly a lot of modern "casual" gear in their but the amount "heritage" labels and styles make it worth a look.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Gsvs5

Reaction score
And isn't Lino's own style a cut above JS - if you like Milanese Flash!

Night and Day.
The thing is ,as I see it,Lino and Gianpaolo have created a very definite and recognisable "look" that moves with the times.Very traditional Belfast coats,DB jackets,English shoes ect ,but in interesting colours and fabrics that bring them up to date and worn in a very Italian style.
IMO,J.Simon had that chance back in the 60-70's but hasn't been able to make it his own and build on it.
If anyone needs reassuring about wearing jeans into

their 60's,then they need look no further than Lino...

Inks

Reaction score

I spotted this on the vintage section on e-bay. I'm not really one for 'dead mens clothes', and besides it's a 2XL, but that collar is proper.

Basset

Reaction score

I spotted this on the vintage section on e-bay. I'm not really one for 'dead mens clothes', and besides it's a 2XL, but that collar is proper.
I seldom buy anything other than ' dead mans clothes ' i've convinced myself there still alive, just fatter than me
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads