1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

You are right that the Pistols ripped it off the Jam so I had that back to front - I don't think Sid was capable of playing anything bar root notes of chords though - in any case I believe Steve Jones or Glen Matlock played the bass stuff on the album...

1 person likes this.
  2. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Yes. Someone else who has become a media 'go to' person for anything skinhead related.

1 person likes this.
  3. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Were Parkas the only show in town? I can understand their utilitarian benifits but they strike me as being in shabby contrast to the fine clothes underneath that they were there to protect. Was there an alternative to the parka, not including leather trench coats which I guess were too sought after to act purely as a shield to keep crap off?

4. Soul Vision

For mod it is a fight between Eddie Pillar and Paolo Hewitt with Terry Rawlings wearing the sub's vest.

1 person likes this.
  5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I recall in 67 in NW England many non-scootering mods carried a Pack-a-mac raincoat - very lightweight, single-skin coat that folded away into nothing. The good ol' fly-fronted mac was another non-parka item.

The leather coats I saw weren't really trench coats. Trench coats usually seem to be double-breasted. Mod leather coats were single breasted, almost like a mac or a crombie in concept, slightly waisted, knee-length, rear-vented, and often with a belt which people didn't bother to fasten.

1 person likes this.
  6. Soul Vision

Did anyone wear anything like this? - this always striked me as a bit contrived and something Colonel Klink might have worn (?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

It wasn't unlike that, but that particular coat, as worn by Sting, always struck me as being a little over-styled, a little too 'fitted'. But like I say, it wasn't far off. Dark tan was perhaps more fashionable, particularly if the wearer could get a pair of shoes in the same colour. I think I mentioned before that within a week of my arriving in the S E London suburbs in 1968, I saw a couple of mods getting on a scooter (on Beckenham Rd, between West Wickham and Elmer's End), and the guy getting on pillion had a medium-dark tan, belted leather coat with loafers to match.

1 person likes this.
  8. Soul Vision

1 person likes this.
  9. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Around 68 some of the older lads who had already left school and had scooters at 16 wore leather coats in either bottle green or a burgundy. These were 3/4 length and basically the same shape and style as a Crombie. 2 slanting pockets, 3 button and thin lapels. Nothing like what Sting is wearing. I always wanted one but then they were out of my reach and then the Skinhead style came in and they were forgotten about.

Until I purchased one in the same style about 8 years ago from a leather shop or market stall, I can't remember, and it felt great. Only problem instead of looking an Ace Face Mod I resembled a debt collector and drew too much attention when going in pubs.

They say you should never go back. The coat had a few outings and then went in the bin

1 person likes this.
  10. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Sorry , not convinced by that claim. .

Link?

11. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Northern Mod's anall that.

There's a few books on 70's mods kicking about, and quite a bit of history on the Modropheniacs. A lot of whom carried on calling themselves mods right throughout the 70's, even in Flares!

1 person likes this.
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

[​IMG]

Yas ? Do you have a massage for me ? Anal what ?

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  13. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Sorry its been a long time since I listened to that record (A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse) The song isn't an instrumental.Its the last song on the record "That's All You Need" Ronny does a riff with the slide which Weller stole and Vicious hated Weller and so stole "In The City" as A Dig. Here is the Faces Tune

14. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Similar yes , "stole" , hardly . Certainly not stole in the way that Howard Jones's New Song , stole the melody from Pete Gabriel's Solsbury Hill but that is beside the point . .

Quite a few hated Weller , over the years . Some of them he has outlived , whilst his creativity , continues . .

15. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

He does like to "borrow" a riff or two though, doesn't he?

Start and Changing Man being the ones that really spring to mind.

16. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Aye , I would have to give you , those two. .[​IMG]

17. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

What do you guys make of this jacket?
    [​IMG]

18. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

If you want I can explain in " Musicians" lingo.Thats if you understand that language.

19. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I've had many.At the moment I got a Forest green.

1 person likes this.
  20. Inks

Inks Senior member

I picked up a near identical Sears & Roebuck 'Perma-Prest' one on ebay last summer.[​IMG]

Nice and light summer jacket.

2 people like this.