1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

An interesting calculation, however your assumption that a third of all working class lads became skinheads is an overestimation. The proportion, I would say, was much lower than that - considerably less than a quarter I would guess (though I can't speak for greater London). Also, some of them would have supported Millwall, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Brentford, Charlton Athletic Orient, Watford and QPR - not only West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

The reality was that for most matches the majority of clubs up and down the country would number their skinhead support in hundreds - not thousands. 5000 skinheads at Stamford Bridge in 1970 would have meant that one in every seven people present was a skinhead!

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Absolutely spot on ,I can remember some fans changing ends at half time,my granddad who started taking me to Rovers was a city and Rovers supporter,he only took me to Rovers as the car parks were massive and there was / is a parking problem at city.
    I went to my first derby game in 1968 it was unsegregated and there were both sets of fans in the enclosure where I stood,I expect there was also fighting but I will be honest and say that I don't remember it.
    An old boy died down here last year who was a season ticket holder at both clubs ( poor bloke) but that sort of supporter has died out,they really are partisan now,although the trouble is not as bad there is always maximum police effort for a derby game and usually there is trouble,most of this stems back to the skinhead era.

3. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Daft as is sounds, law of averages means there must have been the odd hippy hooligan. Some of them must have liked the game before going all soppy- had a bad week at the commune, peed off about Vietnam...Take the weeks frustration out by clumping someone on the terraces!

1 person likes this.
  4. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

5. skinny legs

I'd put the chances of 5000 young blokes finding their shoe laces after the game as pretty remote. Thanks for illuminating me on a few bits- still get the impression that more skins than not were going to games, and for the ones that weren't, what exactly were you doing at 3 o'clock on a Saturday?

6. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

[​IMG]

Peace and love.... take THAT, man.....

7. skinny legs

Correction to above- meant that I still reckon more skins were NOT going to football than going. Im definately getting worse!

8. Natty Pinstripe

Natty Pinstripe Senior member

Working Saturday jobs or working Saturdays as part of their jobs. If you were still at school a Saturday job was your best chance of earning money. I knew lots of kids who were fans that couldn't go to football for that reason, but would go midweek. As a young teenager I had a Sunday market job so I was covered, I also used to get some occasional Saturday morning building site work through my family, but even that wasn't a conflict. As I've mentioned before the clothes were not cheap and most working class parents would not be paying for them outside birthdays (my Astronauts) and Xmas (my Levis).

1 person likes this.
  9. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Thanks for the posts on Hooliganism.Some good info. Some nice contributions Mr.Natty Pinstripe. As an aside.Just saw the Brit TV series "Skint" (I've only had a computer for a few years,playing catch up) Noticed many Skinhead Reggae tunes used in the show.

10. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

My M-51 was bought in a shop that was a gents outfitters that seemed to favour the Mod style. I had had a tip off from a guy at work that they had them . When I explained what I was looking for a large box was brought to the shop floor . It contained , as far as I can remember , a load of M-65 and M-51's . The M-65 were easily recognised as some of them had the button on hood missing , some still had name tags and some of them had paint on them . .

I finally settled for the M-51 because the coat was in good nick and it was a decent fit as these things went . It didn't have any name tags nor did it have anything that said US Army on the front . I know now that the fur section of the hood was missing but years later l was able to get one of them . I can't remember what I paid for it but I do recall it was less than £20 and my mate that was with me said that they were laughing that I had paid so much for an old army coat . I reckon now , the same coat might be able to fetch 20times what I paid for it back then but I have no plans to sell it. .

1 person likes this.
  11. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I think that MoM is correct , in the Jam being an early influence on late 7ts Mods . However , I don't think the Jam were ever Punks and probably confused some people with their 6ts attire and New Wave music . There were also people , who , claimed to have been influenced by the 1973 Quadrophenia album , guys who perhaps had been too young for earlier incarnations . .

I certainly remember seeing loads of revival type Mods long before Quadrophenia hit the big screen , in fact , when I stood in the queue to see said film for the first time , there were plenty of young Mods in the queue ( I know , no one queues to get into movies now but those days were different ). .

12. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Many extras in the film were revival Mods so,I agree it existed before Quadrophenia.Both docs about the film are interesting.

13. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

The director Frank Roddam in one of those docs says he interviewed existing mods in preparation for the film who had been that way for a while - the implication seemed to be that they had been mods even in the fallow early to mid 1970's - seems quite incredible to me though that there would have been any mods in the glam rock era...

1 person likes this.
  14. Soul Vision

The Jam were a huge influence on the mod revival - funny though their first single "In the City" has a bass line almost identical to the Sex Pistols' "Holiday in the Sun". Also that the Jam's Paul Weller copied Steve Marriott's look almost exclusively - esp. his hair style and continues to this day to do that...

15. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Have to speak to this.Paul Weller stole the "In The City" riff from Ron Wood who did the riff with a Slide in an Instrumental on "A Nod Is As Good As A Wink......." Sid Vicious stole the riff from Weller.Had to correct this often misunderstood fact.Check out Ronny's version.Then check the dates.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I went to many games, but I didn't follow any team fanatically. I usually went where I thought I could see a good game, and I didn't mind if I went a whole month without.

17. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

The Streets-Mike Skinner doing a Dr.Martens add about Skins(he uses some of the previous names like "Peanuts" as well as a few I did not know)

18. Man-of-Mystery

There's one kid who is wearing a stripy rugby shirt under his parka, who manages to get in the front of all the bloody outside crowd scenes. It used to irritate the hell out of me, because I could not remember anyone in the 60s mod scene wearing a rugby shirt.

Wikipedia (it must be true! :D ) attributes the 1970s Mod revival to the Jam.

19. Man-of-Mystery

Boiled eggs, prickles, lemons... 'Lemon-head' is one I do remember hearing.

Is that Pauline Black of Selecter in the hat and suit?

1 person likes this.
  20. Soul Vision

Except as mentioned previously the members of the 'mod' band the Eyes!

1 person likes this.